Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Does anyone know of anything that would help reduce the glare of oncoming lights on a wet windshield? Or should I just resort to going 4 wheels? :(

Thanks,

Chris

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

It's best to keep the windshield low enough to see slightly over it... pretty hard to see through a wet one at night.

Might also try something like Rain-X, but I don't know if it could damage the plastic. Another idea would be to get some plastic polish like Mirror Glaze - it can be found at most small airport FBO's. It's used to polish plastic aircraft windows. Both of these products cause the water to bead and roll off.

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hi chris,

as Axelwik says RAIN-X works, I ride all year round and it is very distracting when on coming traffic blinds you in the rain, Fogs worse because the water drops stick to the screen at slower speeds so you have to look around the screen at the curb.

Clean your screen, pop on some Rain-x and then next time your out in the rain, watch the water just roll off your screen

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

Pardon me, but I thought Rain X had a reaction with plastic windshields?

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

This is taken from the website of Tulsa, I use their windshield, I wish I had had one from the start.

First of all, you should know a bit about your Gold Wing's windshield. Unlike most automobile or truck windshields, it's not made of glass. The original equipment Honda Gold Wing GL1500 windshield is made of hard coated polycarbonate. While polycarbonate is great stuff, if you use cleaner containing alcohol or ammonia (including Windex or Pledge), you start softening the hard coating , exposing the windshield to greater tendency to scratches or pitting. Windex, Pledge and other alcohol-based household cleaners work great on glass, but aren't meant for synthetics.

WARNING: Do not use Rain-X on any coated windshield!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

kd7sys wrote:
Does anyone know of anything that would help reduce the glare of oncoming lights on a wet windshield? Or should I just resort to going 4 wheels? :(

Thanks,
Chris, that's a problem we all seem to face. Cutting the windshield down is one answer but that nice high windshield is really nice in cold weather. I have tried the Rain X (I use that on my personal cages) but something about, either the air flow, or plastic on my Wing it just doesn't seem to clear completely enough to stay clean.

What I have found that sort of works (at least for me) is to place a foam pad on the seat so I sit a little higher, that gives me just enough extra height to see over the windshield. I do use a convertible helmet with a full face shield so when that gets water spotted I just tilt my head back & the wind cleans the water off.

Another thing to look into is;EXTRA LIGHTING. The more the better in rainy weather at night. It's amazing how more frontal light can make a spotted windshield seen not so bad. Dark pavement, poor lighting, water spotted windshield, road crud on the windshield can make for a rather unpleasant trip.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

About Rain-X and plexy: Rain-X (original formula)states on the bottle not to use on plastic, but, Rain-X has come out with aplastic friendly formula. Also, I've heard of using Pledge on the shield. Can't vouch for it but I guess it works just fine.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
Chris... you're not telling us it rains out in Oregon??????:cooldevil:

:shock:
It doesn't rain too much here in Oregon... I've been looking out the windowall morning and it hasn't rained for at least 15 minutes!

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:

It doesn't rain too much here in Oregon... I've been looking out the window all morning and it hasn't rained for at least 15 minutes!
between '77 and '81 I lived in Gold Beach and '00-'03 in Gresham.... now Gold beach... averaged 80 inches a year!

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

Wait another 15 minutes, it will come.;)

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

Hasn't affected mine in the 19 years Ive been using it

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Pledge works fine on Plexiglass, helps with rain but isn't great. Pretty much the same for McGuires.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

You will get all kinds of suggestions (mostly good ones) on this subject, so take it all in and decide for yourself which one suits you best for your bike.. Honda recommends that you adjust the windshield height to "split your view" when riding.. I understand this to be that when sitting upright in the saddle, the top of the windscreen should be eye level when riding. My saleman told me itwill enable me to view the road in rain or at night without windscreen glare. Made sense to me and I've been doing it ever since... The plastic on the windscreens changes with time and use, so the glare from oncoming lights is inevitable..

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Hobie1 wrote:
About Rain-X and plexy: Rain-X (original formula)states on the bottle not to use on plastic, but, Rain-X has come out with a plastic friendly formula. Also, I've heard of using Pledge on the shield. Can't vouch for it but I guess it works just fine.

Hobie
I can't find any reference to the plastic friendle Rain-X on their website anymore. Did it get pulled or discontinued?

As for me, I use several different cleaners, all seem to repel rain to some extent. 210, Plexus and Novus.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I'm using "McGuiars" speed detailer, 100 % Polymer cleans great and repels water!

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

You know, I tried to find the new formula Rain-X on their site and couldn't come up with anything. This is strange because I did indeed read about it on their site a few months ago.

Maybe the stuff didn't pan out. I do know that it says right on the original formula's bottle not to use on plastic/plexiglass.

Hobie

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

axelwik wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:

It doesn't rain too much here in Oregon... I've been looking out the windowall morning and it hasn't rained for at least 15 minutes!
Marco and I understand that in Oregon, people dont die, they rust! If you fall off your bike you may drown!

:spaz:

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

ubarw wrote:
axelwik wrote:
rcmatt007 wrote:

Marco and I understand that in Oregon, people dont die, they rust! If you fall off your bike you may drown!

:spaz:
At least they don't salt the roads here in the beaver state. It does, however, make riding interesting in the spring with all the gravel left over from winter.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.