Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I ride my bike all the time. I ride it to work and where ever else I can go that doesn't require a car. So with all that time on my bike I occasionally get caught up in some nasty weather. For the most part the rain doesn't bother me allot unless it comes down in sheets but the thing that bothers me the most is high winds especially the wind that comes in just ahead of a storm. I know most look for shelter or just pull over but I would like to hear what others do and their experiences. I ride and 86 aspy and put 10k on in the last year. Also wondering if the newer wings handle better in heavy winds and those dam semis ( My wife hates em especially when I pass them because I can't stand being behind them)

·
Premium Member
1,923 Posts
imported post

bwssr wrote:
I ride my bike all the time. I ride it to work and where ever else I can go that doesn't require a car. So with all that time on my bike I occasionally get caught up in some nasty weather. For the most part the rain doesn't bother me allot unless it comes down in sheets but the thing that bothers me the most is high winds especially the wind that comes in just ahead of a storm. I know most look for shelter or just pull over but I would like to hear what others do and their experiences. I ride and 86 aspy and put 10k on in the last year. Also wondering if the newer wings handle better in heavy winds and those dam semis ( My wife hates em especially when I pass them because I can't stand being behind them)
I slow down and ride on.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Like Brojees said, slow down and keep on going. It helps to loosen up and relax a bit, and roll with the punches.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

That about what I have done but just recently we had storm roll in and I was trying to beat it and get home before it hit. But the winds picker up and I along with several other bikers pulled into a rest stop. I was going about 25 to 40 moh and it was real hard to stay on the road. I have been riding since 1979 and have been thru some weather before but for the most part I have avoid extreme wind gusts. I had a friend who was riding down a road a while back when this happened to him and it blew him into the shoulder which was all gravel doing about 60. Scared the crap out of him but he made it.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

I read once, to keep your arms loose. Then your arms can absorb the wind gusts a lot easier with less impact on the steering.

Its a bit tough, since you're stressed at the time and the tendency is to tighten up, but I've tried it, and it does seem to help.

Dave

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Hey "BWSSR", those "Damn Semi's" brought your bike to the dealer and eventually you ended up with it !

If you eat it , wear it ,drive it or ride it, a Truck brought it !:clapper:

But they are a "PITA" when they spray water all over you at 70 mph, Damn Semi's !:goofygrin:

Where the heck is "Baraboo"?

Spent alot of time in Wis. never saw "Baraboo"!

I'll guess it's in the North West part?

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

It's about 45 miles north of madison. We have the circus world museum here and the wisconsin dells is near by too.

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I know the semis are what delivered my bike to the dealer. It's my wife who did most of the bitchen about them. My self I just get around them because I don't like the turbulence riding behind or next tothem. Also all those tire threads come from somewhere and I don't want to be behind a semi on a bike when one comes off. Still wondering how much better or worse is a 1800 goldwing vs a 1200 goldwing is for handling under these conditions.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Thanks, been through the "Dells" many times!

Been to Madison alot of times!

We had a Cabin on the riverin "Marinette, Wis" when i was a kid, great place !

those tire treads that peel off the recap tires are called "Gators"(look like black gators from a distance)and they can toss you off your bike!

Don't know about the 1800 vs 1200 riding ability, have never rode them!

I know that 2000cc Vulcan is rock steady in the wind!

Came close to buying one last week?!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
454 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

What are you riding now? For me I ride a 86 aspy and I am not a fair weather rider. I start riding as soon as possible in the spring and as late in the fall as possible. Just imagine how mu gas we could save if all the fair weather riders had that attitude. Now being out west you must have allot longer riding season that I do.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

I ride a GL1100, it runs like new!!

And a Zook 1100 whichI think is sold? Too fast!

Saw a 042000cc Kaw with all the performance upgrades, pipes , air kit, pcIII map, dyno for $9200 was hard to pass on that one !!

I'm hopefully buying a new bike maybe in Jan or Feb 06! Got the fever! I'll keep the Wing!

I ride year around but when it's 118 degrees out it's a bear !

I use to ride in the winter in Chicago years ago (15 below), my boss would be waiting for me laughing at the ice on my Stache and Eye Brows and say one of these days I'll have to get a blow torch to remove from that thing because you'll be froze to it ! Couldn't do it now, don't like the bitter cold!

Those were the days!

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

I find your comments interesting but I have to tell you the coldest that I have ever been is riding in an ice storm in November, 1965, from Chatham Ontario to Windsor on a BSA 441, single. I sold that bike and 6 months later I still had the biggest right leg from starting it. Along with a bruise that took over a year to clear from all the kick backs. Back to the cold. The trip usually about an hour took almost 4 hours in pouring rain, sleet, snow and sub zero weather. Finally at my destination I was too cold to squeeze the clutch, a thick film of ice was over my body, helmet, and gloved hands. It took 3 days to warm up.

As for those semi trucks I give them as much space as I can, a little shudder, a little wobble, slow down and stay off the brakes, then I sit in their drag to get back the gas they just took from me. Most don't mind as long as you let them know you are there.

Just bought a '80 GL1100, kept looking and testing and could not leave it, take delivery tomorrow and will play and get certified and use it to commute 110 Km a day.

Keep up the good words and I have to tell you I am happy to be a part of this group. I will post as I get the new GL1100 up and running.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Good luck with the 1100 they are pretty bullet proof if you take care of them!

My brother had a 650 Bonneville and his friend a 650 BSA in 1965! Great bikes back then!

The guy still has the "Beezer" in his garage!:clapper:

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
imported post

I live in the Texas Panhandle with everyday winds at 20-30mph with a lot of days up to 45mph staying loose is the answer if you tighten up and fight it you are in for a long ride .

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.