Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

We try to get off the roads around here by 5:00-6:00 pm....that's when all the deer get 'off work' and are making their way home...:ROFL:

Seriously...that's what it seems like anyway....Rule of thumb: 'An hour before dusk to an hour after daylight, stay off the roads'...especially the back roads, where we ride the most. :action:

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

BlueWinger wrote:
We try to get off the roads around here by 5:00-6:00 pm....that's when all the deer get 'off work' and are making their way home...:ROFL:

Seriously...that's what it seems like anyway....Rule of thumb: 'An hour before dusk to an hour after daylight, stay off the roads'...especially the back roads, where we ride the most. :action:
One morning we left the motel at fancy gap and began to ride the BRP.It was like 7 am or so and many deer crossed our path.We left the parkway for awhile till later in the day,much to scary in the morning...

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

riding in rain at night is no big deal i ride day or night i gotta say you have to be alittle more cautios on the country roads after dark due to the noctunal animals, raccoons, skunks, deer

but like aspect1 says 24/7

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
imported post

I don't mind riding in the dark if I have to, but I prefer daylight.
BTW the title of the thread is wrong, maybe you can edit it to read 'riding in the dark'.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Do it all. Rain or shine, light or dark. I refuse to live "what if".

·
Premium Member
1,822 Posts
imported post

I actually enjoy ridingin thedark. The lights on the GL1800 are amazing compared to the older GL1500 I used to have. On my list of things to do though, is to install some fog/driving lights on it. (Just to help out a bit)

:action::action:

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

We enjoy night riding, especially for a ride around one of the finger lakes. We do take familiar back roads where we can ride slower though.

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

I ride more at night with an 1800, its light system is above and beyond all the rest out there.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

If I want to ride I ride, night riding can be fun, cooler temps, less traffic, etc.., just an all around nice ride.
Just watch for the animals and adjust speed for the areas and roads.

Honestly I am more worried about morons passing on blind hills and turns and killing me during the day than I am worried about hitting a deer at night!

Really, I have came closer to being hit by fools driving bad than I have ever came close to hitting a deer! And I mean all driving, not just on the bikes.

At least 8 people I knew, and some others close to home I did not know, have been killed by sober drivers passing on hills, blind curves, or just crossing the center line for no reason other than stupidity. Those dead folks were in cages, nice and safe and during the day in good weather!

I like night riding myself. I have no problem jumping on the bike at 4AM and riding to town for coffee. My only problem is that around here there is no place to really go at 4AM LOL
I get to gas station, 24hrs, then sit drinking coffee for awhile because I have no place else to go.

Too tall a wind shield and too many foggy areas here, so I have to be careful of that. Fog on windshield means looking though a white bed sheet to see the road for me. If not for that there are some places I would ride just to ride at around 4:30am after I got my coffee and gas.

Last year I rode from KY across most of TN I40 at night, was a very nice ride other than very cold that trip! Very little traffic and it was nice to have I40 mostly to myself.
Around towns, well still much less traffic then during the day. I have less fear of a couple deer than I do tons of cages!

I fear not the rain nor darkness!

Yesterday on a perfect afternoon I took off on ride, killed some time and stopped a few stores. I was maybe 150 miles from home, trip counter showed 125 since I had got gas first stop. Yikes, very dark clouds! I tuned in local radio and sure enough storms!
I was to my turn around point at the time anyway, had rode much further North than I started out to ride anyway.
I only started out to ride to Cabol, MO but was almost to Springfield, MO LOL

So I headed home, sky got worse and worse, it was blowing into me from the right and ahead of me.
Tons of Lightning just to the right of me, but no rain yet for a LONG ways.
I got a couple drops of rain just as I pulled in for gas about 50 miles from home. Lightning everywhere, everything DARK sky. Getting my gas I thought heck with rain suit, not raining yet and I ain't that far from home, if I get wet no big deal.
Yikes! Before I pulled out it was coming down in buckets!
I put on the suit LOL

Nice wet ride most the way home, after dark, buckets of water at times, lite rain when I got to my town. Then about 12 mile to house anything from lite to none. Maybe home 10 minutes and all heck broke loose for maybe 1HR then nothing.

I don't let the weather or darkeness bother me much.
Know I did loose a days ride a few days ago.
I was about to get out and ride, was told at gas station the storms to the south, so I figured go North LOL
About 20 miles maybe and I had radio on, not a nice sky, weather report was for Severe storms, damaging winds, and hail just west heading my way.
I turned for home, went to shop and worked on another wing.
Well I should have just rode instead, we got about 30 minutes of BAD weather, then bright clear sky rest of day!
I could have just stopped for coffee and a sandwich and it would have been over by the time I was ready to leave LOL
At least I got a little work done that day, so not really ruined, but I would rather rode.

Sometimes people wonder why I don't worry about the weather.
Well, when I do it turns out to be a really nice day regardless what the weather report said.
OR, I start a ride or such on a PERFECT day and it turns bad in a few hours.

It's all just a crap shoot.
So ride and be happy, or stay home and worry.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
imported post

I also love to ride at night. Been doing it for years. Back in my college days, I used to fill the tank and head out into the country on the back roads. Would sometimes just put around all night, not really going anywhere. In all of that night riding, I've only ever had one close encounter... Well, ok I actually hit a very large raccoon while on an interstate on ramp. It was one of the clover leaf type on ramps and I was on a sport bike leaned over pretty hard when the little buggar ran across in front of me. The front of the bike slid toward the outside of the turn a few inches and the raccoon went right under me. ( I remember thinking "oh crap, he's going to bite my leg") Definitely got my attention! :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

When I used to live in WI I road Kaws, it was nothing for me to take off middle of night and ride about 500 miles to Mom's in OH. to visit, then leave there at night and ride back to WI.
I took HY 30 most the time, not the Turnpike either.

I hated the toll road, and made about the same time on the rural roads. Course then nothing was more than 55mph, legally anyway LOL

·
Premium Member
1,735 Posts
imported post

I'm with chromo on this, I ride at night once a week and I don't worry about it. I slow down a bit when going through the country roads and I am more cautious, but that's about it. it's actually peaceful. Two days ago I was riding to work and noticed the clouds were forming overhead. Luckily I stopped on the side of the road and put on my rain gear because traffic was going slow and I figured out why. Around here on I-95 if it's raining then people drive 10mph or below for the fun of it i guess. about 5 miles after I put on my rain gear it started pouring. It lasted about an hour and I had literally pockets full of water in my rain gear. My shoes were soaked and my hands were wet and cold, but I enjoyed every second of it because I was on my bike. I ride year round. The only time I don't ride is when I know that there is a chance of ice/snow on the roads. I guess that's why I've put 20,000+ miles on my bike in a little over a year. :)

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

Ride rain or shine till the snow flies!! Dark is better! I am lit up like a 747 got the ditches covered and can see at least a km ahead of me! I'm way more visible at night and can see cars coming to crossroads way better at night than day.
We only have about 4 good months of riding here. I try to stretch it out to 6 or even 7.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

I try not to.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I've left the house 2 days in a row now around 3:30-4AM, maybe 3 days.

Today was a nice brisc, cool morning. Almost perfect for riding, maybe cold have used a thin jacket for awhile LOL
Coming home was a bit warm again though this after noon.

Yesterday I had nowhere to go and I wanted to ride baby ride!
Ride to EAT and EAT to Ride!
Left home around 3:30-4am, ended up In Branson MO about 150 miles from home for a great All YOU CAN EAT breakfast at Starvin Marvin's LOL
Only $6 for food, about $20 for gas maybe, and around 8 hours riding and dinking around, but man the food was good! LOL

If I worried about Rain, darkness, deer, or the Wing takeing a nap, I would have missed out on about 800 miles of great riding last few days, just going nowhere.

Course, Wing took a nap on me this morning, and I got hammered in some rain one night for a few miles.
I would not have guessed I could raise a 1500, and it was not a great spot to try it this morning. Wife was going to help this morning but when it was up she said she could not find anything to get hold of so had not helped much LOL
I thought she lifted half of it LOL

·
Premium Member
17,087 Posts
imported post

That is some of the best riding time. Cool temps for me and the bike. Everything seems to work a little better. The only difference is that I ride a little slower, but I still ride.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.