Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The biggest issue I've had riding in the rain is visibility.

The rain just sticks to my windshield, face shield or sunglasses.

I have always wanted a Rain-x type substance that would work on plastic windshields.

Well I found it; it’s called Raincoat by a company called MotoSolutions.

I was Googling rain gear a while ago and came across this stuff.

I was skeptical but figured I would give it a try.

This stuff works great.

I liked it so much on the windshield I also put it on my face shield and sunglasses.

The rain just beads and rolls right off. I can now see through the windshield even in the heaviest downpours and we get some good ones here in Florida. Yesterday I drove through about thirty miles of pouring rain that previously would have had me pulled over waiting for it let up (although the lightning almost got me to stop)

If you’ve ever used Rain-x it works in much the same way.

It comes in little packets, you squeeze out a pea sized blob onto a wet cloth and coat the windshield. Let dry and polish with a soft cloth.

One packet will coat the windshield about eight times.

We paid $6 plus shipping for 5 packets.

The only place I have found you can get it is online from MotoSolutions.

http://www.fogtech.com/raincoat.html

I am in no way connected with MotoSolutions, I just really like this product and figured I would pass it on.

I did a search and did not see where this had been posted before, if it has sorry for the repost.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Does Rain-X not work on plastic windshields?

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
I've never tried but that is because I have been told that it will put a haze on your plastics. I do remember reading the packaging and it stating it was not for use on plexiglass, plastic or other such products.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

it will haze the plastics but it takes forever and a day all rain x is is a wax

so if you use that spray on wax products you sould get the same results give or take lol

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
imported post

We'll see what happens... I just sent for a sample... I'll have to take it for a test drive. :)

·
Administrator
26,177 Posts
imported post

Well, I just ordered some of the fogtech and the raincoat even though I doubt it is ever going to rain here again.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

FeButter wrote:
Rain-X did make a product for Plexiglas windows (called Rain-X Marine), but it looks they have withdrawn the product. Can't find it anywhere anymore. Kinda like plain unscented Pledge.....

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Well, I just ordered some of the fogtech and the raincoat even though I doubt it is ever going to rain here again.
+1
Even though it doesn't look like it will ever rain here again this year - I ordered the fog Tech and Rain Coat because I have never seen anything work yet for more than a few minutes in a good downpour.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Rain-x is supposed to cause plastic to deteriorate over time, but the biggest problem is, it just doesn't work on plastic.

I tried it on an old windshield that I was replacing and it did not have the same effect it has on glass.

The Raincoat works and keeps on working until you clean the windshield, then you have to reapply it again. In my case it was on there for almost 3 weeks untilthe windshieldgot so dirty I couldn't see through it but still repelled water when I cleaned it.

As an added benefit it seemed to me that the bugs that had splattered on the windshieldcame of much easier as well.

Peter

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
imported post

I was going to try for a sample, but it's only for industrial plants. Let us know how well it works for the rest of you. Pledge works some, but not all that well. It's better for cleaning. If this stuff works for the rest of you, I'll order some.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

Plexus...nothing but.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
imported post

I just completed an order for the raincoat packets. After yesterdays ride home, in a downpour, on I-75 and no where to pull over, I couldn't see through the windshield at all. Sure hope it works as per their ad.

Bob

Update: I received an email about an hour ago, Order shipped today! WOW ! Quick shipping.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

DeDubya wrote:
Plexus...nothing but.
So far, I agree. BUT, curiosity...you know? I just ordered some. THANKS!

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
imported post

Okay. I just goofed on my order and ordered TWICE! Gene from Motosulutions called me "on his own" and said that the order looked there could have been a possible error. Great customer service!! Anyway, I had the pleasure of talking with Gene about the product and he said he noticed a few orderd all in a row (Probably from you folks). I am sending him a link to the site via e-mail, and to this post. Sounds like he is no stranger to giving a good deal to a good group of folks oncee in a while. Anyway, just FYI. I just thought it was great that he saw a possible error on my order and contacted me. I also am NOT connected in any way to the product. Just passing along what happend.Thanks Gene!

Randy

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
Okay. I just goofed on my order and ordered TWICE! Gene from Motosulutions called me "on his own" and said that the order looked there could have been a possible error. Great customer service!! Anyway, I had the pleasure of talking with Gene about the product and he said he noticed a few orderd all in a row (Probably from you folks). I am sending him a link to the site via e-mail, and to this post. Sounds like he is no stranger to giving a good deal to a good group of folks oncee in a while. Anyway, just FYI. I just thought it was great that he saw a possible error on my order and contacted me. I also am NOT connected in any way to the product. Just passing along what happend.Thanks Gene!

Randy
Hey Randy,

Thanks for ordering. I have a chemistry background anddeveloped Raincoat for riders as I have problems seeingin the rain too. (Even here in California!) As I said the pouches are very concentrated, read the directions and use less rather than more. The spray bottle is easier to use, but some riders feel it is a bit large for taking along (4 ounces).

The OP has it right. RainX works well on glass but doesn't stick to plastic. Raincoat does not work on glass so we are not competing.

Here is a comparison of the water shedding capabilities of some products we use on our shields. Raincoat came out way on top. Higher contact angle is better.

Full article is here on the rame-hart instrument website.

·
Premium Member
279 Posts
imported post

MNSNOWMAN wrote:
DeDubya wrote:
Plexus...nothing but.
So far, I agree. BUT, curiosity...you know? I just ordered some. THANKS!
You know I do not want to say anything bad about any product that anyone usesas I know everyone's experience and situationis different.

I only use PLEXUS to clean my screen and I have not had good experience with it holding up once the rain starts coming down. I have no idea if this productworks or not but I do know what doesn't work very well (or more accurately for very long).

Oh yeah and the poor performance of Pledge on my screenis why I only use PLEXUS now. No more bug problem and that black stuff you get off the screen each time you clean it with PLEXUS is actuallycarbon exhaust from the cat converters of all of those cages on the road- nothing sticks to the screen since I started using PLEXUS.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Order placed!

I just got the packets to give it a try, but if it's something I would use in the future, I would probably try the spray, seems easier to apply.

·
Forum Toolmaster
459 Posts
imported post

jobe05 wrote:
Order placed!

I just got the packets to give it a try, but if it's something I would use in the future, I would probably try the spray, seems easier to apply.
+1 on the rain in Florida!!!. I just ordered mine. Cant wait to try it. Also with this humidity going from an A/C building your helmet fogs up and its like forever before you can see again!!!.

Allan AKA flyboyziel56

·
Premium Member
228 Posts
imported post

OK - a sign of a warped mind - first thing I thought of when I saw the packets was another kind of liquid protection :)

Ordered some up to test out in the Oregon rain!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.