Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

It’s raining here today, but I couldn’t ride yesterday so I suited up and headed out in the wet stuff for a couple hours of riding the back roads listening to some of my favorite albums on the ipod.

I stopped at gas station to get a drink and the girl at the cash register said “It’s gotta suck to have to be riding on that in this weather.” I had to laugh because I had been having such a nice ride. I decided that I wouldn’t tell her that I was out for a joy ride. I just said “No, not really”.

Riding is so addicting!:action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:cool:

Your post makes me smile, because I have been there so many times myself. I made a trip once from Virginia Beach, VA to Rochester, NY (approx 600 miles) and at least half of that was in the rain. I caught a lot of rain on the way back home too.

But it was a great trip. I was going "home" to visit family that I only see twice a year, and I was doing it on my bike. It wasa great trip. But most people wouldn't understand. I think that most motorcyclists wouldn't understand. But when you ride between 10,000 miles and 20,000 miles a year, you are going to get a little rain from time to time.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Yepper,,,,,,,, true motorcylist can see past the rain ;).

I took off in the rain at the spur of the moment to do the Sky Line Drive. Folks thought I was nuts,,,,,,,,, maybe so,,,,,, but I'm happy that way:action:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

If I didn't ride in the rain on purpose, my riding season would be way too short! I prefer riding in dry weather, but I love riding too much to only ride when the sun is shining. :action:

I had to laugh at a co-worker one time this Summer. He rides a Harley Roadking, when the mood suits him, but only when it's dry and warm. He's fairly new to the company but he was there since last Fall, so he knows my riding habits. One day I rode to work and it was pouring. I got inside and he said, "bad day for riding John!" I laughed and said, "yeah, because you know I never ride in the rain. ;)" He laughed and said, yeah, good point. :cheeky1:

John

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

You're right John, if we let a little "Rain" stop us we would only get in two weeks of riding at the end of July beginning of August. Cause everyone knows it always rains in Seattle:dude::dude::dude:

Same goes for cold weather, just look at my avatar...

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I've ridden in the rain quite a bit here in Fla. Normally it's a deal of leaving and then the scattered Thunderstorms catching you.
But I wont hesitate to leave when I know that chances are good I'll hit rain.
Riding is just too much pleasure to let a little wet stuff put a damper on the fun.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
imported post

I came home a few weeks ago just after a huge storm hit the homestead. I geared up and went on a ride to chase it down. 45 miles later I crested a hill and smashed right through the storm. 200+ miles ride with 3/4 of it in the rain. Good times! Every ride is just a practice for the next.

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I at one time didn't mind riding in the rain if I had too, say as in getting home from a ride, or riding in to work then it raining.....Yeah a few times I just got geared up and went riding, but not often.....It is funny that for three weekends in a row we made some rides in San Antonio, Texas and all three times weather man said clear to partly cloudy, yeah right ....It came a flood just about the same area on I-10..Within 5 miles each time of the same over pass, where we stopped to wait for roads to wash off....First time I had some sodas in my saddle bags, about 10 bikes stopped and we sat there waiting for the road oils to wash off, then rode on in to home..Second time someone had stopped at this sausage place had bread etc, so we had sammywitches and sodas, Third time I figured it was going to do it again so I had extra drinks in one saddle bag on ice and sandwich makings, while we were setting there eating, a DPS trooper stopped......:shock:.....Really a nice guy asked us to move our bikes behind the barricade, and then had lunch with us..No one took out the wine they had brought....:cheeky1:....Three times in a row who would have thought???.....

Last time after our "picnic" we got back on I-10, just a slight misting rain..... Things were good until at the I-45 ..I-10 exchange at downtown Houston I hit an oil slick, like to have lost it.....The rear wheel broke loose but caught a dry spot just in time where the cars had dried the road....It was just misting at that point...Had it been raining any harder, I might not be setting here writing about my adventures in riding in the rain....

Claude....

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
imported post

cant really say that i enjoy or even like riding in the rain . last trip i had from norway to italy was 18 days . i spent 17 of those in rain clothes !

it didnt rain or drizzel , it poured .

i thought about selling the wing and buying a ark !:D

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
imported post

Then you would have to call it an ArkWing :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Rain is rain, Riding is Riding, doesn't matter :action::action:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

I've been fortunate to be able to travel extensively for work so I get to see a lot of the country. Normally here in the NW when it rains its either a misty rain or a steady drizzle. Those are not bad to ride in.

I was in Fort Lauderdale for a couple of weeks(used to work for MODCOMP off of McNab Rd) and when I went to the Miami Airport it rained so hard on the rental car that I could not see out of the windshield. I pulled off the freeway and parked on a side street until the storm passed. There was 4" of running water on the street by the time it passed. That type rain I won't ride in as it is just to dangerous.

I've also been in Oklahoma when the rain and wind were hitting so hard the bike was leaning dangerously over just to stay going straight. Had to stop under an overpass for about 45 minutes to let the rain pass.

But most other times I just consider it part of riding since up here you can't get away from it. Besides how else do you get to see the great views that clean air and rainbows bring!!

Riding Wet....even the wife likes it....oops wrong forum

:D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.