Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was on another Gold Wing discussion group where they talked about riding in the rain. some said that it is a good way to sharpen one's riding skills as it take more focus. One said that if you plan on doing a significant amount of riding then this is just part of it. I am a fair weather rider; if it's raining and I don't have to, I won't go for a ride. Now, if I'm already out and it happens to rain, then I'll just deal with it. How many of you will look out of your windows and say" it's raining, think I'll take a ride"? I just shined up my bike yesterday and it's raining today. The bike is staying home. What are your thoughts?

Roryrob

·
Premium Member
7,574 Posts
imported post

If its raining before I set out I'll take the car, if I get caught in it, then "SMOOTH" is the name of the game

·
Premium Member
108 Posts
imported post

I've ridden in the rain a lot more than I've ever really wanted to.:?:? If my buddy and I are riding in the middle of the Sahara Desert we will get rain. One time we was in Thunder Bay Ontario and it hadn't rained in over 3 1/2 months but it managed to rain the whole day while we was on the bikes.:(:( The only time I've ever ridden in the rain was when we were going to North Carolina and it was 98 degrees with about the same percent in humidity:shock: So it started to rain and it was really nice because it cooled us off, we wouldn't even put our rain gear on, by the time our cloths would be dry and we started getting hot again it would rain again.:clapper::clapper:That was really about the only time it has ever been enjoyable. So far my wife has never been caught in the rain with me. It's just a matter of time.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cooldevil::cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
420 Posts
imported post

I don't know, there have been quite a few days in the last year since I bought my bike and I have awakened to rain, put on a rain suit and take off to work(26 mile ride) It doesn't bother me unless it gets real cold. I guess it sharpens your skills somewhat, but then again you don't drive on dry pavement like you do on wet.
I think it's just a matter of personal choice.

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

Rain is a fact of life here - if you don't ride in the rain, you don't ride. :cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure I know anybody that prefers to ride in the rain. I probably won't leave in the rain but I won't pull over and wait unless it is a true downpour. I definately slow down a little depending on conditions though.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Like GM said, we just have to get used to it here. A signifigant difference is watching keenly for metal drain covers in the road, as nearly all our utilities and drainage runs under the rods and not alongside. This will often throw up situations like large 3'x3' or so steel sheets, slippery as ice on a bend in the road, right where your riding line would normally be.

Riding in the rain doesn't sharpen your skills so much as test your awareness. Miss seeing one of those drain covers and you will become aware.... of a strange odour in the undergarment department!!!!:shock::cooldevil::action:

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

I ride in the rain only if I get caught in it. I don't leave in it. The only good thing that I can say about rain that it is good for the crops.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
imported post

I won't get My Wing out for a ride if it's raining. I would never get it parked again as I have to ride in my yard to park it where I do!

I'm a fair weather rider now. back in the 70s....didn't matter...rain or shine!

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

I'm like most, if it's raining i won't pull the wing out. I spent 125 miles in rain heading to florida some it fairly hard rain. I just slowed down, looked over the windshield, and kept going.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

A warm welcome sonney1 good to have you on board!!:waving::waving:

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

While I don't like to ride in the rain around here many times you can't avoid it. I always take rain gear with me just in case.

Like Silverfox said be careful of metal covers on the road. Also be very aware that if it hasn't rained in awhile the road will be slick with the oil that rises to the top. Avoid standing water and if it rains heavy enough follow in the tracks of a vehicle in front of you to cut down on the water under your tires.

Slow down, take it easy and never let your attention to the road & surroundings wander or you will be paying medical bills and washing out soiled undies.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Biggest problem out here would be the Big rigs, I was riding anchor rider position for our group last year at Runnemucca Bike run and dam near got blown off the road buy a wall of water, I moved over for the semi I did see, but his splash was blocking the ones behind him and they had started moving into our lane. At the next stop on the run we spent 2 hours in the bathroom with out rain gear and leathers under the hands drier in the bathroom.......:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

Thats what rain gear is for. The biggest reason I try to avoid the rain is the cleanup that comes after. but I don't mind riding in the rain. :action:

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I probably wont take out in it unless its going to quit soon. I dont mind it in the summer, I always carry our frog toggs just in case. I dont mind being cold, and I dont mind getting wet, just dont like both at the same time.

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

I don't care to ride in the rain but sometimes its unavoidable. My problem is water on my glasses blocking my view and then it gets dangerous. I wear prescription glasses plus a larger pair of sun glasses over them. I have had rain get on both pair of lenses. Anyone use water repellent on their glasses before leaving home?

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

20 years of welding makes thicker glasses, I buy RainX wipes at a local autozone water just slides off my glasses works awsome use it on my windshield too....

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I never ride in the rain.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 20 of 67 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.