Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

You know, every time I go to Youtube to watch a motorcycle video of some kind, I find myself spending at least an hour watching the morons on zoom-splats doing what they shouldn't be doing and having their bike kick their butt for it.

Now don't get me wrong here, I really don't want to see ANY motorcyclist crash, but I simply cannot HELP but get to giggling when I start watching this type of video.

Maybe it comes from having little to no sympathy for self inflicted injuries? Am I the only one that does this?

·
Premium Member
814 Posts
imported post

Your not alone. The other night my son, son in law and I were looking up videos with motorcycles going ouch ohhhhh can't believe that

HAAHAA

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

well i'm glad he wasn't hurt

i got caught in a pretty bad snowstorm once, 3-4 inches of snow, i was very thankful to make it home safe

ever since that happenedi check the weather very closely befor going on a winter ride

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I was trying to see what caused the spinout. It looks to me like the extra throttle going up the hill spun the back around.

I rode a light bike all one winter in deeper snow than that but would have to have a serious need before I took a wing out in snow.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Both on UK-youtube...coincidence?

First guy was heading to happy hour and the second was leaving.

Maybe they should call it PUBtube.:D

Just kidding....CHEERS!

·
Registered
297 Posts
imported post

cycledude wrote:

i got caught in a pretty bad snowstorm once, 3-4 inches of snow, i was very thankful to make it home safe

ever since that happenedi check the weather very closely befor going on a winter ride
Hey cycledude! Welcome to board.

Have you been able to do any winter riding this year? I had to winch the 4 wheeler out of the snow yesterday. I'm starting to think I should dig the trailer out and head south for a week or so.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

Once upon a time in Winterpeg they had motorcycle cops out on Harleys year round. They had studded tires and wore buffalo robes to keep warm. I think they dropped it in the 60's.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

About twelve years ago, when I was more young less breakable (I thought), I took the CB350 out in the snow. Rear wheels kept spinning out. I am amazed that the Goldwing guy stayed upright as long as he did. I couldn't do it. And the CB350 was only 300+ pounds too.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i got stuck riding in about an inch of snow once. it was the end of january & the temp was around 30f which is warm enough for me to ride. i went out to my buddy's birthday party about 50 miles away & the weather said possibiloity of fluries overnight, well i went out at noon & expected to be home by 8pm. well a couple of us hung out for a while after everyone else left & before i knew it it was 1am (time that he wanted to get some sleep) & i look outside & go oh no. the 3 miles to the highway from his house was fun fishtailing doing 10 mph but once i got on the highway there was enough traffic that the lanes were clear.

another time i had the bike on the street when it started snowing & i dicided to put it in the driveway since they were predicting several inches & even though there was less than an inch there was sleet first that iced up the street. i live on a hill & got the bike to pull foward off the curb & backed it down the hill to just past my driveway & tried pulling forward but the rear kept spinning & kiking sideways. finally i got a little traction & it went up the hill with my feet down as skies, but i made it into the driveway without dropping it.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

nobbie wrote:
I was trying to see what caused the spinout. It looks to me like the extra throttle going up the hill spun the back around.

I rode a light bike all one winter in deeper snow than that but would have to have a serious need before I took a wing out in snow.
I agree.

There are areas of theUS where you proceed at your own risk. I've been through several of them. Once got hit by a "Zephyr". Never knew what that was until after. Dumped about 8-10 inches of wind -blasted - sideways snow on me in 20 minutes. Tried to get out of it but had nowhere to go. Fortunately it was a small focused storm of about 2-5 miles in length.

Twice been at elevation in the high deserts and mesas of Northern Arizona - including Flagstaff, Grand Canyon, Leupp (Navajo Indian Reservation)and Kykotsmovi (Hopi Indian Reservation) - once in early December and once in Mid October. Both times I got frosted over on my bike and had to watch for black ice. Motor oil thickened so much I had to wait for the sun to warm the bike enough so it would turn over. On the December run I went to visit the Indians and it snowed all day while I was gone from Flagstaff - over a foot. I got nothing while in the high desert bluest sky you could imagine - and the milky way was amazing for my night ride home (in the low 30's -BG [Before Goldwing]) and rode back to Flagstaff to see salters dissolving black ice - once I got there it was just the wet - again bike frosted hard that night.

Had my reasons for being there each time and watched the weather carefully - you just never know. :shock:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Those guys just need more practice. :D I used to be able to do a wheelie on the railroad track. :action::action: Have not tried it lately, do not think I will, but used to. Had to fix a ladies fence one time as I was riding a 400 yamaha dirt bike in the snow, having a good time, got to really powering into the curves, and went right through her fence and rang the doorbell. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Yep they just need a bit more practice.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Those guys just need more practice. :D
Yeah, but while they're "practicing" on their expensive bikes, they're driving my insurance rates up. :cheeky1::cheeky1:

Let'em practice on red Honda 50's or something. :action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

aht_six wrote:
cycledude wrote:

Hey cycledude! Welcome to board.

Have you been able to do any winter riding this year? I had to winch the 4 wheeler out of the snow yesterday. I'm starting to think I should dig the trailer out and head south for a week or so.
Hey Jeff, surprising what u run into over here !

nope no motorcycle riding since Thanksgiving :baffled:

either its been to cold or the roads werejust not clear enough for a wimp like me

but maybe next week ???????

u must have more snow over there because my Honda 4 wheeler has not been stuck YET this year and i know a Polaris will go through more

thanks for sendingthe forkgaurd ! i probably won't install it untill spring when i'm riding every day because i want to be sure if i notice any differance withthe forkbrace

January is the only month i've never riden to Minnesoda so if the weather cooperates i just mite take a ride over to Bobs to checkout the heated gloves, do u think i am going crazy or what ?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

I'm afraid I can't throw any stones at this guy, I've done it more myself. I was called back to work in mid January after a long layoff, a week back and the engine in the car went. Well, we were behind in everything, barely keeping our home. Needless to say there was no money to fix the car and I with three little ones, I had to leave the other car with my family. So I put plates and insurance back on the bike and rode it, seventeen miles one way on the graveyard shift.

Well, one evening on the way to work, the rodes covered with snow, some yahoo decided it would be fun to blow the stop light. Well, fortunately I was only doing about 15 mph, I spiked the back brake and laid it down and slid through the light right behind him. Fortunately, like in this video, it was a slow lay down and I kept the bike with me. A few cars that were there had stopped, but the bike didn't stall and my dignity had taken enough of a blow. I got it back up, used my feet for outriggers and hauled out of there before I could here any of them laughing at me.

I rode that CB750 all winter until I was able to get the car fixed the end of March. There were a lot of cold rides, usually going the long way on side roads to avoid traffic. There were times it took me over an hour to get where I was going, but, I look back on that time, young, dumb and desperate, and I don't regret it at all.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

That minor spinout in the snow would not have occurred if the bike had been wearing a CT...right Kit?

DeDub :18white:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

DeDubya wrote:
That minor spinout in the snow would not have occurred if the bike had been wearing a CT...right Kit?

DeDub :18white:
Do not think it would make much difference even if you had studs in the tires. A big Wing is helpless in that kind of thing. Snow, sand, deep mud, and once it starts to do the wallow dance, or slip and slide, not a whole lot you can do and the throttle is so touchy on an 1800 on snow, ............no not me. Not with my bike. Not even with a full riding suit, snow and a big wing just does not mix.

I figure that fellow knows that now. :D Kit

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.