02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,142 Posts
imported post

everything in that FAQ is a good reason to stay away from Japan

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

I agree. After reading that, I think I would want to take public transport over there.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

Budegan wrote:
I agree. After reading that, I think I would want to take public transport over there.
Yeah...but I'm just wondering, if yer out in the rural areas...does one still have to share yer seat with chickens & other critters...snow monkeys maybe??? :D

·
Premium Member
484 Posts
imported post

When I was there any bike 650 and up was classed a light truck. And with a max speed of 60kph (32mph) so much FUN.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
imported post

I never rode on the mainland, but Okinawa was much like that. Hardly anyone had bikes over 250cc. Didn't need anything that big. The highest speed limit was 80kph (about 50mph), and that was way up north on the biggest highway. Everywhere else was 20 to 50 kph. You seldom got up to the speed limit in the southern areas of the island as the traffic was too heavy. Everything they said about how they drive applied to Okinawa as well, but you quickly got used to it and drove the way they did. One thing that helped a bit was there were so many American's (service members and dependents). Taxis and truck drivers were the worst. I got hit by a cement truck on a side road, obviously his fault, but never got anything from him or his insurance. Fortunately, it didn't cost much to fix the bike. Things were a LOT cheaper in 1972, and the military took care of the medical(minor, fortunately). If I went back, I'd use public transportation. I'm too old and slow to drive there now.

I rode an old 125cc Honda Dream and a CB175 there.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.