Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've been looking to get a pair of riding pants and there are so many to choose from. I want a all season pair and these seem to fit the ticket, but before I bite the bullet I thought I would check with the most knowledgable folks I know.

I think my biggest concern is how they are during warm weather.

·
Premium Member
309 Posts
imported post

I wear Tourmaster brand Cordura pants. These go over my regular jeans.
They have armor at the knees and zip-up pant legs. I have used them for
many years and really like them. I have worn them in 100 degree temps
with mininmal discomfort. The pants have good "breathablity" and don't
cost like the Aerostich. Although I'd wear Aerostich if I could afford them.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Those look pretty good, must be camo color , I cannot see them! :D

I have a pair of Scorpion riding pants. I really like them. They have a wind/rain liner you wear for rain or colder weather and they have mesh material front and back for those hot days.

The neat thing is they unzip all the way to the waist if you want, so no problem in getting them on or off if you want to get them over your boots . In the summer I wear them just like jeans. There is knee armor and also side armor that fits around your hip on the side. The armor is also adjustable for the knees up or down to a certain extent.

I like them and actually I think they keep me cooler in the summer than just jeans. You are insulated from the motor heat and that little spot where your boot quits and your leg gets against the valve cover , cannot even feel it.

Kit

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

I use Field Sheer Cordura Armored pants.... I, too, wear them over my jeans, or over a pair of backpacker shorts or bicycle shorts if it's really hot.... had em' on up to 104 degrees. They are waterproof enough that I don't carry extra raingear......

Last year I switched to Kevlar jeans, thinking they'd look better and would protect "good enough." The Kevlar protected us very well against abrasion during our accident, but I had a deep and nasty"impact" laceration across the knee which I don't think I would have suffered had I been wearing the padded cordura.... no more Kevlar jeans for old Scarknee here.......

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

I have the Olympia Airglide 2 overpants. Wear it and the liner
over the jeans mostly in cold weather. Did not wear them during the hot weather. I have ridden down to 26deg here so they are plenty warm. These pants zip clear up to the waist so you need not remove your footwear to put them on or take them off. Without the liner they are mesh and have armor in the hips and the knees.

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I have a set of First Racing riding pants. The are mesh at the thighs and are pretty well vented. They are armored at the knee and hips. They unzip to the knee and are not bad to put on over your jeans and boots. I usually only wear them in cold weather, but they are not bad in the summer.

Sorry to say, I'm a t-shirt and jeans kinda rider in the summer.:gunhead:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I wear the Tourmaster Venture Air pants. They are mesh on the outside and have two removable liners, a wind/rain liner and a quilted thermal liner. I never wear the quilted liner. The wind/rain liner with my jeans on underneath keep me plenty warm down to temps below freezing. Here's my likes and dislikes about them.

Pros-
Decent price
Versatile, only need one pair for all the riding conditions from cold & wet to hot & sunny.
Good airflow with the liners out.
Good armor on the knees, butt and hips.
Can put them on easily with boots on, with no liner, and fairly easily with the wind/rain liner.
Reflective panels & piping for visibility.
Velcro belt straps to easily adjust waist size.

Cons-
Zippers can be finicky, catching on the cloth, but you can get a technique down that minimizes this.
Very tough to get on over boots with the thermal liner installed.
I would prefer a longer zipper on the rain liner to make it easier to get on over boots.
Velcro on zipper flaps takes some getting used to.
On the size I got to fit over my jeans, the removable knee armor is too low, even in the highest position.

Overall, for the price, I think they are a good all around riding pant.

John

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,867 Posts
imported post

Winger77,

The model you linked to is the same brand/style that I had on when that Freightliner "offed me" last year.

No scratches on my legs, so they must have helped out some.

·
Just one of the guys
4,800 Posts
imported post

The one thing I will never be without is full length zippers in the legs. I have a pair of fieldsheer. I use the pants for communting and being able to get them on and off easily is a big thing for me. I used to skip the pants because I didn't feel like taking my shoes off to put them on. With the new pants that is not a problem. It really comes down to different strokes for different folks

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I think those are just fine. Riding pants and most modern jackets are all about the same. Some have more or less features or different ones than another, but all are about the same.

All the rain liners are a bit hard to get on over boots as having a zipper in the rain liner would compromise its intent to be waterproof.

Those are good ones, as good as any other.

Kit

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

AZgl1500 ,,,,,,, How did you like them in the heat? And how easy/hard are they putting on and off while wearing boots??

·
Premium Member
370 Posts
imported post

I'm looking for a pair of mesh pants that have the long zipper and armour, but no liners. I already have a pair of rain pants.

Last year my wife bought me this jacket in lime green. Very warm also.

http://www.aramark-uniform.com/style.html?assort=public_assortment&style=436#

So since the outer shell is already waterproof, I ordered from direct line today one of their jacket specials in order to get armour for the top half.

http://www.directlineparts.com/product.asp?pid=7048&str=4

No large available, but medium will fit. So, just the pants and a pair of abrasion proof, good in hot weather gloves and I hopefully will be all set.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

I haven't found anything that fits (size 48). I went with Fox armored underwear. Pretty much wear anything over them.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,867 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
AZgl1500 ,,,,,,, How did you like them in the heat? And how easy/hard are they putting on and off while wearing boots??
Firstly, I don't own a good pair of riding boots. That is not a good thing, and has to do with having feet in a 6E width. I've not been able to find off the shelf boot wear that fits me. I hope to resolve that issue by utilizing some vendors mentioned on the forum here lately. But I do wear full coverage ankle high shoes. The full length zipper allows me to put the foot through without any issues. A pair of boots would be about the same thickness as my shoes.

Second, I find that the mesh pants are cooler to wear in the heat than not wearing them. Seems like that would be a contradiction don't it? But experience for me has shown that when the ambient air temps are at 118*F, the wind whipping your legs will provide some skin blisters in short order. I tried just going bare skinned wearing only a pair of cutoff jeans. That was no good because my skin got burned from the heat, and it scared me to think of getting off at 60 mph that way.

The mesh seems to provide a bit of a cooling effect for me. I start to sweat a little bit, and the air passing through the mesh evaporates that and my skin feels cooler than just being bare skinned in the wind and heat from hot pavement. The mesh provides enough of a wind barrier to deflect the burning effect of hot winds, but allows enough air through to provide evaporation/cooling.

My method of coping with the higher summer temps has been to walk into the showers at work, take the hand sprayer and do a fast wet down of my jeans and tee shirt. That usually lasts me until I can get home if the ride doesn't last for more than 25 minutes. Beyond that, I take a bottle of water and shake it around in the air and let that splash on me. It helps.

I know that when that off experience occurred, I was very happy that I was fully clothed with protective riding gear.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

ScooterTramp wrote:
I haven't found anything that fits (size 48). I went with Fox armored underwear. Pretty much wear anything over them.
So what is FOX ARMOR??

Well I went and looked it up, looks like a good product. Anything that can keep you intact is a good thing. I think maybe if one was a racer, those would be good to wear under your regular full suit, would keep flesh from tearing off the bone.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Here in Missouri you get dripping wet without any need for a spray bottle! Just stand outside for a few minutes. :waving:

John

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Hein Geriche Overpants for me. Full length zippers on the sides, mesh for the summer, and waterproof/breathable liners for the wet and cold. I've been in some torrential rains and have never been wet with them.

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
ScooterTramp wrote:
So what is FOX ARMOR??

Well I went and looked it up, looks like a good product. Anything that can keep you intact is a good thing. I think maybe if one was a racer, those would be good to wear under your regular full suit, would keep flesh from tearing off the bone.

Kit
They fit real good, I'm thinking they will be a bit hot, in the summer though. I look a little foolish wearing spandex (good thing it is underwear). Walking around with that 'gel' stuff, in the crotch, is interesting.....works good on the seat though.

I may have to make something, myself. I'd like a little more 'sliding/grinding' protection. But this will do, for now. I like the idea of being able to wear anything I want (over them). Spandex is good for hugging the body, to warm for the hot weather me thinks.

I'll be working on this.

ST

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.