Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I don't know if others are having this proublem, since i started getting used to riding this wing (and my little 250), i really don't enjoy driving a car. In the car i'm always uptight at slow traffic or hitting signals as i'm in a hurry to get home. when on the wing i'm dissapointed when i'm almost home as i don't want to stop riding.

Today i ran some errands and picked up a part for my son at the local honda shop,on way home it was upper 60's, i wasn,t wearig a jacket as it was beautiful out and i had to fight to go home as the road ahead heads to the lake and itlooked so inviting,(maybe tomarrow as my son has his learners and is registering his 91 nighthawk tomarrow.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Yes, This is a well known problem. There have been a few threads about running down to the local Wally-World & 200 miles latter getting back home.:?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

if its cold, rainy crappy out and i just dont feel like riding or im dog dead tired i drive

im ususally dog dead tired.... never the rest lol so about half the time i ride the bike and half the time i drive the car

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:
I don't know if others are having this proublem, since i started getting used to riding this wing (and my little 250), i really don't enjoy driving a car. In the car i'm always uptight at slow traffic or hitting signals as i'm in a hurry to get home. when on the wing i'm dissapointed when i'm almost home as i don't want to stop riding.

Today i ran some errands and picked up a part for my son at the local honda shop,on way home it was upper 60's, i wasn,t wearig a jacket as it was beautiful out and i had to fight to go home as the road ahead heads to the lake and itlooked so inviting,(maybe tomarrow as my son has his learners and is registering his 91 nighthawk tomarrow.
I often have similar symptoms...

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Your doomed, there is no known cure.
Guess you'll just have to deal with it !
Sorry.
:thumbsup:

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Nope ..... never! ;)

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

I have come to realize that a 20 minute errand by car,,,,,,,,,,,, equals 1 hr. by bike :?:cool:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :action:

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

The best statement I've ever seen that addresses this phenomenon is:

"FOUR wheels moves the body, TWO wheels moves the soul"

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I have found out if I can do it in a 20min car/truck ride then it can be done in 2-6 hr by GW.:?

Bike has a mind of its own. :cheesygrin::ssshh::D:jumper:

·
Premium Member
1,317 Posts
imported post

There's more to it than this. I find that I can easily ride 3 to 4 hours without stopping. Put me in a car and within an hour I start to get a cramp in my hip and need to stop and walk around. By hour two, I have a backache and soon my knees start to bother me.

The riding position on a bike is much more conducive to travel.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Just means your cars aren't fun enough to drive.

I commuted to my customer yesterday in the XJ-S, as it needed some playtime/love/attention too.

Nothing like the purrrr of a V-12 to compensate for not being on two wheels.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:

seems to be here in Kansas also. cant seem to get rid of it.

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Just means your cars aren't fun enough to drive.

I commuted to my customer yesterday in the XJ-S, as it needed some playtime/love/attention too.

I'll take the ROAR of my Cougar over the PURR of your Jaguar!
:raspberry: :D ;)

·
Administrator
26,567 Posts
imported post

Yep, this evening I got off work early enough to be able to ride an extra 20 miles before it started getting dark. Often in the summer the 32 mile ride home becomes 70.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Yep. The wally world 6 miles away is a 200 mile trip.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts
imported post

saltmar14 wrote:
I don't know if others are having this proublem, since i started getting used to riding this wing (and my little 250), i really don't enjoy driving a car. In the car i'm always uptight at slow traffic or hitting signals as i'm in a hurry to get home. when on  the wing i'm dissapointed when i'm almost home as i don't want to stop riding.
Someone called it PMS (Parked Motorcycle Syndrome):ROFL: I have the same problem. When the good weather hits, the bike comes out of the garage and the Jeep goes in. I always take the long scenic route to the store.:action: The wife always asks, what took so long?:?

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

seabee_ , i have a 53 willys but not running. i love off road but all being overshadowed by two wheels,(miss my 250 enduro).

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Ok, seriously, I gotta know, how the hell do you keep it running long enough to commute with it? :D Sorry, couldn't resist, I love brittish cars, but part of lovin' 'em is knowing what they are :cheesygrin:

Anyway, back to subject at hand. Someone warned me about that when I first joined this forum before actually buying my bike. I didn't believe 'em... then I rode it... never doubt it again.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

blackknytecnc wrote:

Ok, seriously, I gotta know, how the hell do you keep it running long enough to commute with it? :D Sorry, couldn't resist, I love brittish cars, but part of lovin' 'em is knowing what they are :cheesygrin:

Anyway, back to subject at hand. Someone warned me about that when I first joined this forum before actually buying my bike. I didn't believe 'em... then I rode it... never doubt it again.
Sorry to keep this one off-track.

Let me add this:

I have nothing but British cars. Four Jaguars and one MGB-GT (in restoration)
I have three Triumphs and (currently) three Goldwings.
I've taken my time to learn as much as I can, and do most of my own work.
Many of the British car failures are from people that have their cars maintained by unskilled and/or unspecialized people
You can't beat brand/model knowledge and experience
I can't remember the last time I was stranded with one of my Jaguars, and I commonly commute 100+ miles each way to a customer, and commute to homes in Mexico, Arizona and California.

In other words, take care of it, know what you're doing, and you'll do well.

Sorry - back on topic......

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Well back to OP.

Yes that is normal!
When you have to worry is when you go out at 3:30AM to get breakfast on the Wing, and Breakfast is a 300 mile round trip!!
You leave home at 3:30AM, get home about 9PM, the trip was just to get breakfast but you decide you should find SOMETHING to do while there so people don't think your strange for riding 300 miles for Breakfast LOL

YES! I did it again this morning!
First time this year, but I lost count of how many times last year LOL

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.