Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just a note to let you guys know that myself and my gal are rocketing across BC right now, about 1000km so far from the Coast. The bike is performing almost flawlessly, getting consistent 50mpg whether in flats or mountain climbs. Still a slight flooding issue after being parked, with petcock off and on centerstand. But then it starts up and whammo...What a machine, what a beautiful ride, especially today coming from Nakusp to Nelson via the Slocan Valley. Who needs Switzerland?" she says pointing to the Valhalla Mountains. Exquisite. Thanks for your help, all.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

Nelson BC. Your gonna love it!!. I'll be back there on the 20th. The scenery alonemakes it worth the trip. Dont forget to ride the ferry and get a over priced cup of coffee sit back and enjoy the ride.

Pat

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

PatinIdaho wrote:
Nelson BC. Your gonna love it!!. I'll be back there on the 20th. The scenery alonemakes it worth the trip. Dont forget to ride the ferry and get a over priced cup of coffee sit back and enjoy the ride.

Pat
Used to enjoy the Musquaw Cafe at Nelson. In the 70s they had a big garden out back where a lot of their veggies came from. When flying from Northern Alaska to Seattle it was a nice overnight stop because the Nelson Motorlodge would let my wife bring her cat to the room.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

We are leaving Vancouver Thur AM Prince George via #1 then over to Hinton Back down the iceway hwy (Jasper-Banff) and back via #3 or Kelowna Princton4- 5 days

2 wings 86 asp and a 83 interstate

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Just a note to let you guys know that myself and my gal are rocketing across BC right now, about 1000km so far from the Coast. The bike is performing almost flawlessly, getting consistent 50mpg whether in flats or mountain climbs. Still a slight flooding issue after being parked, with petcock off and on centerstand. But then it starts up and whammo...What a machine, what a beautiful ride, especially today coming from Nakusp to Nelson via the Slocan Valley. Who needs Switzerland?" she says pointing to the Valhalla Mountains. Exquisite. Thanks for your help, all.
Hi Mag, sounds like a great trip, enjoy to the full! Hope you don't get to need that manual for the petcock problem.

In answer to your good ladys "who needs Switzerland?", well we do over here!!:goofygrin:

Yours, green with envy,

Pete:grinner:

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Hey ya go right past my place on Hwy 97 about 13 kms north of Williams Lake. You may see a 1980 750 Custom chained to a hydro pole with a for sale sign on it, left hand side of highway. Stop in for a pop if ya want ;) 84 Interstate is in my garage, hence the for sale on the 750 :D

ccsailor wrote:
We are leaving Vancouver Thur AM Prince George via #1 then over to Hinton Back down the iceway hwy (Jasper-Banff) and back via #3 or Kelowna Princton4- 5 days

2 wings 86 asp and a 83 interstate

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wildcat wrote:
Hey ya go right past my place on Hwy 97 about 13 kms north of Williams Lake. You may see a 1980 750 Custom chained to a hydro pole with a for sale sign on it, left hand side of highway. Stop in for a pop if ya want ;) 84 Interstate is in my garage, hence the for sale on the 750 :D
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet Wildcat!:waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Thanks for the welcome, been lurking for a couple months, yup this is the best site. I picked up a basket case 1984 GL1200 Interstate the end of April, it looked rather sad:

But with much cleaning, new paint on frame and all body parts well the pic speaks for itself:

Since that pic I have repainted and applied al the emblems, and added a drivers backrest. Only 41k kms on it, it had sat for 9 years before i purchased it. Today I install a rear diff oil seal that started leaking and also front fork seals, other than that and needing a proper passenger backrest it is done :cool: adn I have managed to put 1500 kms on it with no issues other than the above noted oil leaks and left front brake occasionally not realeasing properly.

Love my Wing :cheeky1:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nice work Wildcat, gotta be a lot of satisfaction with the job! Pretty town where you live, used to fuel up there at the air strip on flights between Washington and Alaska.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Thanks, I really enjoyed the project, having never worked on a wing before and having some parts for a GL1100 mixed up in the boxes of parts did present a few challenges. I was fortunate to have some time off so I could pretty much work on it every day until it was completed. And yup, I am very pleased with the results! :D

We may have met over the counter for a weather briefing and filing a flight plan then as I work at the FSS there. Sure miss the over the counter chats now they have centralized all the briefings and flight planning.............. what type of aircraft were ya flying?

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

POP POP you say BEER and we are there

see ya tomorrow or Fri Am My bud has reserved a cheap room in Williams lake tomorrow night Look for 2 wings in town (town can't be that big) Don't know name of motel he did it on internet

Neil

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Hmmm beer......now I seem to recall some nice cold ones in my shop fridge, seems I came across em while changing fork seals today :) Friday morning is out for me, meetings at 9am and have to drop the wife's car off for warranty work in the morning als. Hope to see ya tomorrow nite. Ummm lets see population in town about 10k, with another 15k in the surrounding area, naw I'm sure your wings and mine will be the only ones around :p Make sure you give me a call so we can connect tomorrow nite and umm investigate my shop fridge :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Done :D

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Wildcat wrote:
We may have met over the counter for a weather briefing and filing a flight plan then as I work at the FSS there. Sure miss the over the counter chats now they have centralized all the briefings and flight planning.............. what type of aircraft were ya flying?
Yeah same here with the automated FSS. It's been awhile , don't think I've been to YWL with an airplane since 1994. Various airplanes, Lake LA4, C 180, Mooney Mk 20C, Mk21, PA-18 and a PA-20. Currently no flying machine, getting too expensive, haven't felt like working for nearly a year now, can't quite swing an airplane on the pension.

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

I've been here since the fall of 1987 so I imagine with your various trips and aircraft we crossed paths at one time or another. Between fuel an insurance cost its getting to be that only the wealthy or those that can write a plane off against their business are the only private pilots left around here............

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
imported post

Wildcat

Im on the right coast. Did you apply new Honda emblems or the existing ones? if new, did you get them from the Honda dealer and are they readily available for the 1100 and 1200's

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Found a side cover emblem for my CB750 at the dealer, but never did price em out for the wing. It was a slow process during a weekend of camping, somehow I even got the Mrs. to help :D

Sanded all as best I could with 400 grit then cleaned with Wax and Grease remover. After that we painted everything metallic gold (available at your local Crappy Tire). Once that dried good we covered all surfaces that we wished to appear gold with vasaline. This was a slow process using Q-tips and a small brush. From there we sprayed all with black, best results were found by letting it sit overnight, then wiping the vasaline covered areas with a soft cloth to remove as much black as we could. From there gentle rubbing with a cloth damp with wax n grease remover, a few touchups on the black with a fine brush, then I sprayed all with clear coat. Voila the finished product, on close inspection they are not perfect but generally from 10 feet they look awesome. The Gold is more metallic than original also.

As you can see by the pic, intense concentration and the beer is hidden out of camera range :dude: Mrs was bein a smartass with the camera :baffled:

·
Premium Member
1,207 Posts
imported post

Well CCsailor and company made it this far, joined em for a couple POP's in a local watering hole this evening. So far they have had a great trip other than its a tad warm, especially thru the Fraser Canyon. They head north past my place tomorrow, and on to Jasper, weather looks great, just a bit cooler in the north, pretty much a perfect riding day ahead for them :D, maybe a few showers thru the mountains and sunny skies on the Jasper side, only sad part is that I am not joining them, my Mrs. seems to require a bit more than 48 hours notice :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

We're home after four days on the road great time. Thanks for the "pop " wildcat went down very smoothly Great refit on your ride.

A few fast facts

Days gone 4

highest elevation 2,062 metres lowest 4 meters(home)

trip length door to door 2,566 KM Ave fuel 51 MPG

Wildlife observed 2 huge bull elk in Jasper National Park (that's it;unless you count 2 gophers.Deer whistles don't work on elk I went by them about 20 feet awayand was totally ignored

Max temp 36C in shade 42 on road

Min temp 12 C at 7 am

Best part- Columbia Icefield Parkway (Jasper to Banff) unbelievable scenery next time duct taping a video cam to handlebars

Great ride would do again tomorrow 1200 never missed a beat

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.