Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 49 Posts
imported post

Counter-steering is excellent. Another very good one -- if you take a curve too aggressively, rather than breaking (or worse, risk 'high-siding but coming up too fast), lean into it more. I've done this a couple of times and especially with the shaft drive for gyro effect, it's a life saver. Just don't back off the throttle too much or you'll dump it!

imported post

All this looking far ahead, that means you have to open your eyes, right?

I am working on perfecting my rolling stop...How slow can you go and keep it up!!

Back when I was riding trials, I used to be really good at keeping a non moving bike upright. Of course there are a few mass and geometrical differences amongst my old Sherpa T and Saorise. I can keep Saorise up for about two or three minutes now. Bugs one of my riding buddies to no end at traffic light!! LOL!!

imported post

The way I make a smooth stop, after slowing down and just before a complete stop Ipick an exact spot, or line on the pavement,or what everI can see 10 or 20 feet in front of me, , concentrate and time your smooth stop to put the front tire on that mark, it causes you to time everything to match that spot, your foot comes down at the same time the stop is completed. It works for me.:)

imported post

Howdy all.

Brojees, my dad used to ride trials and taught me to keep my feet on thepegs. I can come up to a stop sign, balance, then put my foot down after stopped. I can't do it for more than about 20 seconds on my 'wing, most of the time, except when I weeble and wobble to a stop. Hmmm.

It cracks me up to see a biker have their feet down for several secondswhen they take off. What's the purpose of that? Insecurity I suppose. My feetare on the pegs as soonas I have foward motion.

I don't know what it is, but a clumsy looking stop justs rears it's ugly head at the worst time. I do stick out my left foot when I have a passenger because, as we all know, they can throw your balance off with just a twitch. Most of the time all goes well, but as was said, the clumsy stop always seems to happen when people are paying attention to me. Probably what is happening is that I'm losing my full attention to the task at hand. I'm working on it.

Hobie

imported post

It's a natural law of some sort, you can land a plane with the nicest grease job ever seen and no ones around, but bounce once and there'll be a whole crowd of kibitzers. Most likely all with video cameras. I always save my most embarrassing screw ups for those times when there's a large audience.

If there was no audience of course I wouldn't admit it.

imported post

Enuff of this stopping problem talk:bash:I normally dont have a problem stopping my wing....I had it out today and I lost count how many times I looked like a one legged man in an arse kicking contest:dance:

Discussion starter · #28 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
It's a natural law of some sort, you can land a plane with the nicest grease job ever seen and no ones around, but bounce once and there'll be a whole crowd of kibitzers. Most likely all with video cameras. I always save my most embarrassing screw ups for those times when there's a large audience.

If there was no audience of course I wouldn't admit it.
I used to have that trouble when we had our cattle ranch. I was smooth, together, coordinated, and all that when I was by myself.

Let my Father show up, however, and I knock over a 500 gallon diesel container with the bulldozer. Or slip and fall in the mud. Or get shocked by the electric fence. Or...

or... or... or...

It never failed. I would do something stupid, and there was my loving Dad saying "what the hell is wrong with you?".

I love my Dad, though. He just has good timing.

imported post

Sounds familiar, none of that modern 'good job','attaboy' crap from the old man, if I did something outstanding well it'd get a 'well you didn't screw that up too bad'. To this day I can't stand gushing compliments, if you do a job as you're supposed too, it doesn't need a comment, it's what was expected.

imported post

I've got a boss that compliments you on a good job and thanks you for extra efforts you make and that makes me bend over backwards to work for the guy!

What a pleasure!:clapper:

imported post

I work for myself so am always patting myself on the back for a good job done.

Now back to the subject in hand, I went out last night, putting the stopping and starting suggestions into practice, I found they worked very well, even with She who should be obeyed on the back and an audience int he pub carpark, I managed to execute clean stops and starts.

Hopefully, my old grey matter will slowly remember these, and I will improve as time goes on. I am glad I took the oportunity to try them out last night, the weather has broken and the bloody rain is back!!!:(Now where do I buy one of those full length screens?!!:goofygrin::goofygrin:

Pete

imported post

You have yourself convinced you work for yourself but we know you work for "Helen the Viking" that must be obeyed!:goofygrin:

"ceebaileys.com" for 1800 and 1500 windscreens/windshields!

imported post

Na Wingdawg, Helen of Croy, is well sorted, she does exactly what I........ must go, she has just asked me to go shopping!!!:whip::goofygrin:

Pete

imported post

Silverfox wrote:
Na Wingdawg, Helen of Croy, is well sorted, she does exactly what I........ must go, she has just asked me to go shopping!!!:whip::goofygrin:

Pete
OK Siverfox, we all understand the trade offs for companionships! Or like in my situation the Cost.:arguing:

imported post

DigbyODell wrote:
As a "professional driver" we us what is called the "Smith system"

The five keys to safe driving...

HERE is the home page...

I know that is for driving cages but they still work for bikers as well:waving:
Yep, as exavid said... pretty good stuff. I was also exposed to it for a bus driving job I had a few years ago.

imported post

I found that by practicing slow speed man. in a parking lot till your comfy helps out alot with starting and stopping. Seems as if alot of peoples stopping problems are just from lack of comfort riding under 5 or even 3 MPH.

imported post

Harrystoy wrote:
I found that by practicing slow speed man. in a parking lot till your comfy helps out alot with starting and stopping. Seems as if alot of peoples stopping problems are just from lack of comfort riding under 5 or even 3 MPH.

That is for sure in my case. I have to practice every time I change bikes. I guess it is part of getting older for me. Thanks for bringing this up Harrystoy, We need to share tips like these with each other. It could save injury or embarrassment or even death.:goofygrin:

imported post

First rule of trials, ON THE PEGS!! You are right Hobie. (Oh and Mike, kiss my ...saddle!! LOL!!)

Seriously though, after this thread started I began checking my self and I realized I truly hardly ever put a foot down unless it's a long traffic light. Stop signs I certainly don't. Hmm... Guess I can "Keep it up" after all Mike!

So maybe what I am doing is accomplishing the smooth stop first and then later putting my foot down...If I do at all. LOLOL Now if I could teach Saorise to do it indepndent of me I could avoid the embarassment of forgetting the side stand!! UP OR DOWN!!

imported post

What cracks me up about my own problems with coming to a graceful stop is that I can ride my 'wing in a circle, full lock at an idle. I can turn around on a black top road without putting my foot down(although I'm prepared to if necessary) but oh no, come to a complete stop and loooook ooooout, coming through:cheeky1:. Oh well, as it's been said, I'm not as good as I once was, but I can be good once as well as I've ever been.:goofygrin:

hobie

21 - 40 of 49 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.