Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Yep - the eye doctor, last week, said I'm due for them. I knew it, and decided that since they're in my future I won't fight it. Better to get them now, than fight it and adapt much later, and the doc agreed.

I wear contacts much of the time, and glasses when my eyes feel dry, or if I'm going to a data center where moving air/raised floors or any other environment where dry eyes are possible.

So in a week or so, I get them - we'll see if they come in before I leave for a long weekend in Arizona. The doc said to put my contacts aside for a week or so while I train my brain on the bifocals. (I don't have much brain, so maybe it's gonna be easy, since it's small?)

Any comments on riding with them?

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
imported post

I use bifocal sunshades I got at the drug store, when I ride and I really like them. Just be carefull, it takes a few rides to get used to them.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Yep. Once you get used to them walking, riding isn't too bad. Pretty soon you don't notice it at all.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Any comments on riding with them?
Yup............they take a while to get used to, for sure! I found them very difficult for a considerable period of time, but once used to them it's sure nice to be able to read the instruments on the dash for a change.

I wore straight, conventional bifocals for years and was finding it very difficult to find that "sweet spot" for working with small, detailed tasks, transitioning from one task to another or reading the dash ..........fixed all that.

Have fun and stick with it!

T.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Been wearing them for years, have to see dash and whats out in front of me :) But, I do take them off when I work in the grid 75' in the air walking on "I" beams, rigging. that is the only time I find them a bit weird.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

I have blended bifocals that are transitional. They are perfect as you can see the instruments and distance easily.

I like the transitional cause you have your cake and eat it too. You have sun glasses automatically while you wear the helmet. They work great and change back to non sunglasses pretty quickly.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
imported post

Rusty,

One thing regarding the bifocals for riding is very important:

Make sure you get the line at the top edge of the bottom (close-up)section of the bifocal low enough on the lens so that you aren't looking through that portion at any piece of the road in front of you! If that line is too high on the lens that may happen, and if it does it will bother you a lot.

You want that line to cross your field of vision no higher than the top of your instrument panel. That's all you should be looking at through the close-up portion of the lens.

Once the lens is made, you can only adjust that line up and down on your face by bending the nose pieces to raise and lower the entire pair of glasses on your face. So, you need to get that line correct for your field of view by sitting on the bike and checking it.

Other than that one thing that can mess you up, you'll be fine with them. I can't ride without mine because I can't read the darn instruments without them!

I too find it difficult to walk when wearing them. The distorted view of the ground looking down through the close-up portion makes me dizzy. So, I usally just take them off when walking.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

For work, I had two(different years) prescriptions of safety glasses. They were traditional bifocals. It took me no time at all to get used to them. My new prescription (last year), they talked me into the "No-line" bifocals. I totally hate them. The sweet spot for sharp vision is tiny. With the traditional Bifocals, I could read the blueprints by keeping my head still & shifting my eyes. With the No-line glasses, I have to keep turning my head to find the sharp Sweet spot. For me, the No-line glasses suck. So I bought another pair of single vision glasses with "Transitions " lenses & I use those for driving/riding.

But that's just me, YMMV.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I have Progressives, but when I first got them just a few short years ago..... ok 20 years ago, I had a hard time getting use to them because I was prone to moving my eyes instead of moving my head. While driving, I can see the road, the dash, side mirrors and rear view mirror by just moving my eyes, but I couldn't see the dash because it was blurry. I had to learn to tip my head down a bit to find the sweet spot in the glasses that allowed me to see well. Same with looking at road signs, I have to look down so I can see through the top of my glasses to see far away...... You'll find with progressives if you are near sighted like me...... Lens space becomes a premium........

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I love my "Progressive" lens. Had them for years!
I once told someone that if we were talking and I was moving my head up and down, I wasn't necessarley agreeing with them, I was trying to get them in focus!

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I'm going on one year with my bifocals. I have the line type. I think they would be easier to get used to. But then these are the only ones that I have experience with.

My eye doctor told me it would probably take me about a month to get used to them.

No way, I said. Not me. I'll be fine right away.

It took me every last bit ofa month to get used to them. And for that month I hated them. Nothing was right. I swore I'd never get used to these things.

But I got the feel for them and I noticed it was just about a month.

At the one year point, I notice that the only thing that really, really bothers me is looking at the computer screen at work. It's too high, so I have to tilt my head back. By the end of the day, my neck gets a little tired. I should get another pair of glasses just for the computer, but I haven't been sufficiently motivated to spend the money yet.

But you want to know what I really hate? When I'm looking for something on the floor. You can't see the floor through the lower part of the lense. You have to tilt your head all the way down so your chin is against your chest.

When it comes to picking where to put the line, you have to speak up when being fitted. When I finished my eye exam, I picked out my new frames and then the lady sat me down and marked the lenses where the line would go. I told her it was too high. She said that it should go right even with the bottom of the iris. Keep in mind that I never wore bifocals before, but I knew something wasn't right, but I couldn't put my finger on it. Then it hit me, my glasses were lower on my nose than I normally wore them. So I pushed them up and told her I realized the problem. She remarked the line, and remeasured. She drew on the lense with a sharpie marker to show the position.

If in doubt, draw a line in the lenses of your current glasses and get a feel for it.

When I am driving my car, the line is in a perfect position so that with my head level, the line is at the top of the dash, so I see the road with the top part and the guages with the bottom part.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
imported post

I wear progressive tri focals and I can't wear them with a helmet...every bump or movement of my head and they shift on my head...what a pain in the a## lol...they do work well otherwise....
Bill

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I love mine. Have used them for ten years now. Only problem is if I lay back in my chair I am looking through the reading section and the TV is out of focus.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I love mine. Have used them for ten years now. Only problem is if I lay back in my chair I am looking through the reading section and the TV is out of focus.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

I hated the bifocal with the line in them, however the progressive/no line lens seems to work well.

·
Premium Member
616 Posts
imported post

I have 'em too. I've got both hard line bifocals & progressives. I love 'em, they make life much easier. My sunglasses however aren't progressive (gotta get some) which makes map reading underway a challenge. One thing I've noted regarding progressives - a taller lens (top to bottom) allows the lower bifocal portion of the lens to be proportionately larger... makes up close stuff like reading easier.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,711 Posts
imported post

No-line bifocals are junk.... as said, you can't find the "sweet spot".

I am one of those who move their eyes to read or see at anytime. Driving, reading, whatever.

I do NOT move my head and I refuse to have to do that. I have wasted $1,000s of dollars just to find out that the only thing that will work for me is standard single vision (or combo focal length) glasses, each in a hard case, each made for a specific job.

Single vision RayBan polarized driving glasses.

Clear bifocal driving glasses with the bifocal distance set at 34 inches, that is the distance from my eyes to the instrument panel. A lovely mix that makes. That bifocal can be used for walking also because it is NOT out of focus enough to worry about.

Single Vision computer desk glasses, the exact same prescription of 34 inches just like the bottom of my clear driving glasses.

Computer/Reading. Ah!!!!! What a super fantastic choice this turned out to be. Doing a lot of paper work, reading the newspaper? You stay in the top part of the lens for nearly everything until you have to write something on a piece of paper, or you need to look at something very very close. Awesome.

and last, but maybe the best of them all. Single vision reading glasses. Yep, close up, read a book close up, or look at my cellphone at night with my head laying on a pillow. Perfect!!!

I do not move my head to look around my desk, I just move my eyeballs like Mother Nature intended for us to do.

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Now is the time for a TV that will hang on the wall, then you can lay back and use the upper section to watch TV

Bob W wrote:

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

I have them and the only issue I've had is running on uneven ground, cuz the bi-focal changes where you perceive the ground is, and when walking it's easy to compensate, but when running it get's iffy. Also the transition lenses will not darken behind an auto winshield, so you need clip-ons or bifocal sunglasses for cage driving.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.