Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I was sitting at an intersection on my way to work this morning - a fairly large one, both roads had four lanes plus a turning lane.

I watched a young kid come riding up to the intersection on a fairly recent Harley Sportster. He was wearing a T-shirt, shorts, flip flops and no helmet. The light turned yellow as he got near the intersection, and because he wasn't slowing down, I thought he was just going to gun it through to try to beat the red - but he wasn't accelerating, and I realized that he was just oblivious to the light overall.

It turned red just as he got to the intersection, still doing about 30 mph - and I think THAT got his attention, because he suddenly went hard on his brakes, locking the back wheel, and skidding into the middle of the intersection. To his credit, he managed to keep it upright until he came to a complete stop, almost exactly halfway across the intersection - at which point I think he just forgot to put his feet down, and the bike went over on its left side. I think he realized what was happening too late, and he hopped off the thing.

He then sheepishly switched the bike off, picked it up, got on, and backed it up back to the edge of the intersection where he should have stopped in the first place.

Luckily, nobody had jumped the green, and everyone else was paying attention to what was happening, so he didn't hit, and wasn't hit by anyone.

After it had all happened, and nobody was hurt or hit, I found myself laughing a bit - I can only hope that if I end up doing some kind of emergency maneuver someday, I remember to put my feet down when it's all over. :)

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Both the skidding and forgetting to put feet down show a lack of riding experience. He probably didn't even use the front brake.

John

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Most of the fairly recent Harley Sportsters have the red light annunciators and auto landing struts build in. I bet he didn't have those in the on position which can only be done prior to riding off.
Meet up with a Sportster rider this morning on the freeway commute. Poor guy a late thirty early forty looking fellow with a skull cap and dark glasses looked as if he was hanging on for dear life. We were only doing about 82. I sort of felt sorry for him as he bucked around with each pavement fluke and fought against the wind. When I worked at the bike shop I used to try like hell to sell these guys those little deflectors. The ones that bought them would come back and tell me how much more enjoyable it was to ride.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

"Bob - I wonder what he was day dreaming about?"

Riding a GOLDWING of course, Bob!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

We are going to see this more and more. As the mean riding age is dropping so much. Plus the fact that motorcycles in general are selling so much. The inexperience, even with a class, for a young rider or even an older rider it is sometimes just too much to handle. Any of us can make a mistake even the experienced. Hopefully it's one that he will remember and learn from. Ride Safe :action:

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I think what scares me the most is the affordability of these high horse power crotch rockets and how easily they let an inexperienced rider drive one off the lot.

Even the 250's have a weight to horsepower ratio that is a little scary.

Now in Fl. it's mandatory you take the riders course to get your license. That might be a help, but still, many miles on a smaller bike is a great help.

I had quite a few stops between our 3.5 hp Briggs mini bike to the 1200.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

young kid on a harley sportster...... hes probabaly got some girl on his mind goin man what a night got drunk, laid and still wearin the same clothes i had on last night ..... lol

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Yep, the kid had his head in the "tucked and locked" position up his arse. Maybe, just maybe, that might be the boo-boo that gives him an life changing heads-up. Thank goodness he made it without a visit to the morgue.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

This year it seem that every weekend the News has a story of a bike wreck. Last week a crotch rocket hit a police car and killed the drunk rider and his girl. I think what SpiderBob say is true here. A lot more bikes and young riders. Bikes need a lot of respect and no alcohol.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

Fear of more bikes or more young riders or faster bikes... Lame, when I was a kid we had the Suzuki 350cc 2 strokes that went from 0 to 90 in seconds (leaving a trail of smoke) and all sorts of crazy riders looking for speed. And look at today, you can't turn the TV on w/o seeing some car ad showing sliding smoking tires or flying through traffice backwards plus "350 HP!"
I'd rather have the young trill seeker on a bike rather than screaming at me in a 5000 pound piece of crap muttec stang or dog charger

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.