Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well me and the gold wing done fairly well for Christmas among our gifts from Santa ( so she says ) was a set of long wanted ring of fire lights and although I am somewhat mechanically inclined I would like to know if anyone has been there done that and could offer some advise before I dive head first into this project ? ( looks to me like Rudolph would have stuck around to help out but he didn't soooo, looks like its all me. ) so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I'd follow the installation directions if there are any.
Other than that, they usually connect to your running lights inside the fairing and if you have blue or red colors in yours, you might want to add a switch to turn them off. They don't draw crap for current so most any switch will do if you go that route.
In some states the cops can get pissy about them even though they don't show to oncoming traffic.

Mine were wired in without the switch and I have never been bothered about them. But I don't get too far from home these days either.

PS. I added Bullet connectors to the wires where they pass through the fender covers so it would be easy to remove the rotor covers or in case I ran into that pissy cop, insisting I shut them off.

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

I ground mine at the forks so I only have one wire (power) to run to a hot source somewhere. I also put bullet connectors in the power wire where it runs through the fender covers so that I could easily disconnect the rotor covers and put them somewhere out of the way while I work on the front end.

Be very careful with the wire where it connects to the LED strips. The wire and soldered connection are weak and if you don't break it loose putting it on, every couple of years of road usage you'll still have the rotor covers on your workbench soldering the wires back!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Rudy, dont think they are to bad in Tennesee about it but I think I will prob. go with the switch idea just incase (never thought of that )

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Just touched them to car battery and they are blue and red so the switch is a defenant

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Just touched them to car battery and they are blue and red so the switch is a defenant

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

My $.02….

before sticking them onto your disc cover, pre-fit them and mark where you want them to go. I put a fine-tip marker line at the top and the bottom to make sure both sides are even.

Clean the surface of the disc cover with alcohol so it's perfectly spotless. You'll have one shot when putting the ROF on…. it sticks really, really good.

Apply pressure for a minute or so when you stick them on.

I wired mine through a 3 toggle switch that I installed on the right mastercylinder. Living in California the cops DO get pissy about the 3 light colors. This gives me a way to turn them off if need be.
So far I haven't been hassled.. it's been 5 years since I installed them… but it only takes one cop with a 'bad hair day'.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

All sound advise given. None more needed. Have fun. Happy New Year and be sure and give lots o hugs to Santa!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

As best as I can tell, mine dont stick on got to drill 1/8 in. hole and put bolts in but defenantly gona do the switch. cant wait to get them on.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Mine were stuck on and also have self tap screws w/chrome caps.

P.S.
Leave Rudolf some coal next year! Watch out for them red nosed anything, too much funny water!

·
Premium Member
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Yea for sure Rudolf is no longer on the Christmas card list:ROFL::lash::fighting::fighting:thanks for the tips, off to the cassino in cherokee wish us luck and happy new year to all

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.