1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I recently purchased my first Goldwing - a 1987
Aspencade.

The front tire needs to be replaced, however, the bike has been decked out with every bit of chrome available through Drag Accessories and the mechanical guidebook doesn't exactly explain how to remove these things.

I have removed the brake calipers from both sides of the tire and removed the clamps holding the axle in place, but the wheel just won't drop.

I think some part of these chrome rotor covers and Ring of Fire is holding it together somehow.

Can someone please explain how these things are installed??

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

The axle nut also needs to be loosened. If it's too tight, the wheel won't drop.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Best to undo the axle nut before removing the clamps.

·
Premium Member
3,344 Posts
imported post

if you have the chrome disc covers on, on the left hand fork leg there is a locating lug that sets inside the rotor cover, if you twist the fork leg clockwise it shout clear it enough to get it off,be careful not to scratch the chrome dropping the wheel, i had them on, i never put the back on

ed

p.s. dont forget to undo the speedo cable

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Yeah, I'm still having trouble removing the speedo cable and that seems to be the root of the problem.

The repair manual says there is a single screw holding it on, but I can't see it or get to it with the chrome disc covers installed.

<<sigh>>

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

Make sure you use the largest phillips scewdriver that will fit. Those things can be in pretty tight and you don't want to wreck the head of the screw.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

There is a phillips screw kind of underneath the sensor on the front side . little hard to find if it was like mine that is. like others. i left the rotor covers off of mine. took me longer figuring out how to get those off than paint the whole dang bike:goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

I finally bent the covers back to get to the screw and it came right off.

I doubt I'll replace them.

Thanks to everyone who responded..!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.