Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Why would some of my rings of fire lights go out at the same time and on oppisite sides of the bike. has any one ever pulled the lights apart and repaired them?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Those things are more trouble than they are worth. I've had three sets in five years and they all gave me grief.

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

If you buy a new ring of fire ,,paint clear varnish over it ,,give it a few coats and it will water proof it and it will last for years ,,The more expensive rings of fire are now sealed ,so they dont let in water ,,,,it will be cheaper to bin them and buy a new set than try to repair them power washing usually does them in ,,or heavy rain ,,it is more likely the lights nearer to the ground that have blown ,from the water splashing up ..:waving:..cheers Ciaran

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Good tip about the varnish Ciaran, you learn something new every day.

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Hey FitzAl :waving: This wexman guy is definately on his way to "Guru" status. :clapper:

:walker: :18red: :walker:

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Are they prone to blowing if banged as they have been good all winter

come hailor shine .Yet had it in my garage for service etc and nowsome of the bulbs have blown.:X

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

if they did the front brakes they would have to take the rotor covers off and may have banged them ,,,,but normally they go just like that ,,,,If you are buying new one ,,get the add-on or the show chrome ones ,,,half the price of kuryakyn and once you varnish them they will last forever (almost) cheers Ciaran:waving:

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Redwing. wrote:
FitzAl wrote:
Hey FitzAl :waving: This wexman guy is definately on his way to "Guru" status. :clapper:

:walker: :18red: :walker:
I passed my first exam on how to change a headlight bulb on an 1800,,so I am confident now that I can pass the frame weld test as well ,,,,so watch out Gurus ,,I am on the way :action::action::action: cheers Ciaran

·
Premium Member
413 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

why should you pass the weld test? (no one at Honda did):D

·
Premium Member
11,739 Posts
imported post

Well lets face it ,,the people on this site know more about the goldwing than honda do ,So it would not be hard to pass the weld test for me ,,,Its easy you get your welder and get two bits of aluminium together and give them a bang of the welder once they are stuck together ,,hey presto job done (at least thats how honda do it ):skipping::skipping::skipping:cheers Ciaran

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

The varnish trick is similar to what I did. I just got some clearcoat that you spray over metallic paint in crash repair shops. I didn't thin it at all and sprayed it over the lights with several coats. Never blew an led since (went through two sets before that that did blow). The clearcoat won't yellow like varnish. :)

·
Premium Member
626 Posts
imported post

Good tip Norman. I think you can buy the clearcoat in aerosols as well. Just spray the coats on lightly and build them up for a nice thick finish.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.