Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Oh what a day...10 hours in the hot western sun. But I did a good deed today. After many years of slumber I have awakened another sleeping Wing. Hit the starter button and ka blam it roared to life. But......

Its idling a little off because I haven't synch the carb yet but not bad. The only thing I noticed of concern to me is that after a few minutes at idle it begins to emit some light white smoke from one and then the other pipe. I'm not talking about clouds but wispy translucent smoke and it smells like gas.

I rebuilt the carbs complete, everything.

I changed the oil and it came out dark brown but translucent. Didn't see any traces of water. Put in motorcycle oil with 16 oz of Marvel Mystery oil which may be part of the problem with smoke.

Put in new spark plugs gapped at .024"

New fuel filter

Cleaned the tank out.

Tomorrow I will start to lean out the pilot screws and I'm going to flush out the cooling system and examine the end trails for anything suspicious.

The bike has 170 PSI per cylinder 70,000 miles. Its an 81 GL 1100.

It starts instantly.

This may be nothing but 50 heads are better than one.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Probably just needs tweaking and a short run. 170psi sound very healthy.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Good deal !

Yea it's the "MMO" smoking but that's a good thing!

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I synch the carbs today and let it idle for about 20 minutes and the smoke seems to have gone away or at least to be undiscernable.

I have alot of air in the gas line leading from the petcock to the filter. It looks like the valve may be gummed up. The gas is dribbling out but solid from the fuel pump to the carb. I'm using clear fuel lines. I'll try some Sea Foam and see if that helps.

Now that I have it running I'm going through everything. The electrical system is only putting out 12.5 volts at idle and goes up to a little over 13 volts at 2000 RPM. I'm going to check all connections and the continuity in the stator coils. Hopefully its only the regulator/rectifier.

I'm curious why do you say the MMO smoke is a good thing?:?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

If you put alot of "MMO" in it will smoke. no harm it's just cleaning things up!

Sea Foam is powerful stuff go easy with it!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.