Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I have a 2004 gl1800. Seat has ripped open for some time. (Attaches pics). How do I go about repairing this? Sew by hand? What type of needle and thread to use? More importantly, what type of sewing pattern? Criss cross, over under, etc

I'm lookin to do it cheaply. It's not worth it to get a new seat, or new foam/leather and mount it on the seat. I'm sure that's costly and a huge PITA.

Thanks in advance
Automotive tire Bag Comfort Automotive design Grey

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
What's your location? I may have a deal for you.

Rayjoe

·
Administrator
28,785 Posts
Probably not possible to sew it back together, looks like the vinyl has shrunk. Ask an upholstery shop.

Reactions: beadsman57

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have a seat another member gave me. My circumstances have changed (health) and i can no longer use it. It's not perfect but seems to be better than yours. (See Pictures) It's yours for the cost of shipping to your location. It needs a good cleanup underneath. The white stuff near the rip is tape residue.
Grey Glove Personal protective equipment Auto part Fashion accessory
Tape measure Fish Office ruler Font Safety glove
Arm Leg Headgear Wood Personal protective equipment
Grey Electric blue Wood Auto part Automotive tire

My zip is 97420.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
So, I have a 2004 gl1800. Seat has ripped open for some time. (Attaches pics). How do I go about repairing this? Sew by hand? What type of needle and thread to use? More importantly, what type of sewing pattern? Criss cross, over under, etc

I'm lookin to do it cheaply. It's not worth it to get a new seat, or new foam/leather and mount it on the seat. I'm sure that's costly and a huge PITA.

Thanks in advance View attachment 329109
that's a heck of a tear to fix! I use a heavy duty curved sewing needle & pliers, & heavy duty thread...
then cover the repair with this product that stays flexible like silicone when dry (Shoe Goo):
Material property Font Signage Advertising Carmine

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I have a seat another member gave me. My circumstances have changed (health) and i can no longer use it. It's not perfect but seems to be better than yours. (See Pictures) It's yours for the cost of shipping to your location. It needs a good cleanup underneath. The white stuff near the rip is tape residue. View attachment 329111 View attachment 329112 View attachment 329113 View attachment 329114

My zip is 97420.

Rayjoe
How much you reckon to ship? $100? The size/shape of it

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
I have no idea about the cost for shipping. That's why I gave you my zip code. Measure your seat and weight it, then go to the post office or UPS and get an estimate.

If it's more than $50.00 it's probably not worth it. If you watch this forum you may be able to buy an undamaged seat for under $200.00. Let me know if you want it.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
1998 GL1500 Asp and 2017 GL1800 4AC
406 Posts
Have you checked here yet Partzilla ? The price for a new seat, 77200-MCA-A20ZA, is $389.05 including shipping. If I read it correctly, orders over $149 qualifies for free shipping.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I had the same problem. Decided to buy a new seat cover. Wish I still had the receipt/info. Bought from Swedish company. Had an upholsterer (my brother in-law) take off old cover and replace. Looks sharp...Better than original.Glad I did not try to repair. It would have been a mess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts