Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm wondering if Ontario has the worst potholes. The combination of years of poor maintenance and the extreme freeze-thaw cycles of this winter have our roads in a mess.

A dirt bike might fare better than a Wing.

How are the roads elsewhere?

·
Premium Member
2,250 Posts
imported post

In central Illinois the potholes now have potholes. I think the worst spring for roads I have ever seen. Not only the state and county roads but the Interstates have massive places in them too. It is going to be in the 50's here today. I am going to get my first spring ride. I have been thinking about all the holes.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

The same around here. No money for the state and counties to keep the roads up to standards.

The damage here is not nearly as bad as what I witnessed last August when I traveled back to Indiana. We don't have the continual snow and ice that accelerates the pavement breaking up.

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

My vote for the worst roads is Nova Scotia. I've traveled back and forth across Canada many times and the pot holes and frost heaves in this province are the worst I've seen. Many people here have had their rims dented and front suspensions ruined. Some have taken the local municipalities to court and had their repair bills paid when they could prove that the works dept. knew of the road damage. It really bothers me that when the work crew shows up to repair a particularly bad pot hole, it takes six men to do the job. One to fill the hole with pea gravel and tar, one to hand tamp it down, and four more to stand around, smoke cigarettes and lean on their shovels! That repair job lasts for maybe a day and then the hole is back again. Then next week the same six men are back to do the repair again, and again, and again, etc. I realize that many of the roads here are very old and will never be properly repaired. However, we have learned new and better techniques to properly prepare road beds and substrates which I can only hope will be put into practice on new road construction.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I havent been up there, but my BIL was a OTR driver for years, he said Pennsylvania has the worst roads. I am blessed 'round these parts. Missouri and north Arkansas both have decent roads.

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts
imported post

My travels in rural Ohio took me on some pretty bad roads.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Give me nice weather to ride in and I'll swerve all the potholes:action::action::action::action:

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
imported post

Here in Michigan we would spend the money on bike paths that bikers don't use rather than fix the roads.:baffled:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

da_bull wrote:
I havent been up there, but my BIL was a OTR driver for years, he said Pennsylvania has the worst roads. I am blessed 'round these parts. Missouri and north Arkansas both have decent roads.
He is absolutley correct. And my county is dubbed the worst. For 22 years the road I live on has been passed off of doing any repairs. It got so bad I would go the other direction to get to a connecting road that was in better shape witch meant more miles to travel.

Last summer they finailly did thier famous "Tar and Chip" on my road. They won't do anything that will last a full year. It's gone to hell already. Man,,,,,, don't get me started,,,,:X:X:X

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

da_bull wrote:
I have ridden in PA a bit and Ohio as well and thought the roads were pretty good. I guess that's in comparison to what we have here. Maybe it's the good people I've met as well.

The part that bugs me the most is the taxes on gas don't go into the roads they go into the general coffers to be spent on????. The old walnut shell and pea shuffle game. Where's the money going?

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

We are going to see this problem more and more everywhere. No money with current economy, how can they fix the roads. Projects are being cancelled left and right. Just going to have to keep a keen eye. Ride safe. :action:

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

there is a section of route 22 by the park in newark, nj that's about a mile long of nonstop potholes. you haveto go down the right lane for the first half to hit less holes because the left is unbearable & then you have about 100 feet to get into the left lane which gets betterbefore the right is unbearable. they have patched the holes so many times thatboth layers of the road have disinigrated & there are 8+ inch craters to avoid. the patches hold for awhile but the area around them disinigrates & then they fill it again & then the original patch & area around the second patch disinigrate so you have a surface like this ---__---__---__--- to drive over. they have done spot repaving just past this section several times were they scrape & redo a couple hundred feet of bad holes but always ignoreor accasionally fill in this section for several years now. they just started working on the water dranage in that section because it floods everytime it rains, but that is scedualed to take 9 months & it's only half of this bad area that is getting the dranage redone.

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

At least the roads are paved! When I lived in Ontario, there were lots of rural roads around that were still just dirt - and I'm not talking way out in the middle of nowhere, I'm talking just a mile or two out of large cities.

When I was a kid, they would spray them with oil to prevent the dust coming up - I don't think they can get away with that anymore. :)

During the winter thaw, the runoff erodes the dirt, and you end up with massive holes, gullies, and worse. They do fix them eventually however.

·
Premium Member
1,543 Posts
imported post

Here directly on the coast in Massachusetts with the freeze and thaw cycles so frequent some monster pot holes are created. Saw a couple guys hang gliding off the edge of one yesterday.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

Over the last 5 decades and in my travels as a pipeliner, it seemed to me that you could sense where the Texas state line started and stopped.

In Texas I would be driving down a nice smooth 2 lane road wide enough to hold a square dance on. Then wham, slam, grab that wheel, she's heading for the ditch.

Yep, crossed over into Oklahoma, or was it New Mexico? Could of been Kansas? Nah, wrong state line :cheeky1:

Here in Arizona, some of our roads are pretty good, but the maintenance in the last two years has gone down hill in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

They're thinking about legalizing potholes here in California and taxing them to help the budget

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
imported post

Like was said earlier 6 to fix pot hole 1 working 5 standing there smokeing same here in tennessee.

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

I think Winnipeg had the world record pothole, a pickup truck went in nose first with only the back end showing.

Hearing some of these descriptions makes me think that ours aren't so bad after all, but they haven't really started yet as it is still cold, -29C right now.

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

the section i mentioned earlier must really be getting bad since it warmed up again. when i came home wensday morning there was 3 cars & yesterday 2 cars stopped with flats just pas the pothole madness.

i've got a dent in the front rim of my 1500 thats at least 2 years old that i think is from this area. the road hasn't been fixed yet & it was already bad then, they just spot patch ontop of spot patch every 6 months or so & it last about a week.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.