Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a strange rumbling noise from my GL1500se which i believed was the front wheel barings. I have had the barings replaced and the noise is still there. When i take the bike out of gear and run it downhill the noise is there, made worse as i tilt the bike as in going round corners. the right side tilt is worse that the left.

I dont want t replace anything else unless i can work out what it is.

Any ideas

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Hello there steveroy, and welcome to the greatest Wing forum in town! :waving:Did you fit the bearings yourself? If so did the new ones go in very easily? I've seen some Goldwing wheels wear out where the bearing goes in, usually caused by a bad bearing seizing and spinning the outer part in the wheel and this wears the wheel out.
If all is okay there I'd then be wondering if it was tyre noise instead. Tyres getting old can become noisy.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

englishted

Thanks for the reply, the barings were fitted by a motorcycle mechanic with the correct equipment.

The tyres have been on there for a while, 3 yrs plus so maybe your right.

Steveroy

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
imported post

My GL1800 Bridgestone tires cupped after 6000kms and a very rough noise made from the front. I thought it was the wheel bearings but the motorcycle shop mechanic suggested new tires would fix the noise. He was right. Welcome to the forum. :waving:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I've got a similar situation. In fact I'm replacing my worn tires this afternoon. The rear tire is well worn and cupped, going around a corner the buzz you feel is the serrated tread (cupping) riding on the pavement. The center part of the tire doesn't cup as bad as the edges that ride on the pavement in curves so it doesn't get as badly cupped. My front tire doesn't seem to have any visible cupping but then it's not as badly worn.

I thought there was a bearing problem too, but when I pulled the wheels off a couple months ago and checked the bearings they were fine. I'm sure new tires especially a new rear tire will cure the problem.

·
Premium Member
2,381 Posts
imported post

Have you checked the brake calipers? They could be rubbing on the rotors if the wheel was installed incorrectly or caliper clearance wasn't checked.

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the WGGWWS !

Don't know anything about the 1500 other than I would love to have one!

It may be a digital speedometer? But I have had cable "speedo drives" make a bearing type noise in the front wheel on older Wings ?:baffled:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Paul

Thanks for your comments, i think i will get a new rear tyre and see what happens, the rear tyre is feathered so i am told but i dont know what that means or if it will cause this problem.

What are the best tryes that dont give problems?

steveroy

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

steveroy wrote:
Paul

Thanks for your comments, i think i will get a new rear tyre and see what happens, the rear tyre is feathered so i am told but i dont know what that means or if it will cause this problem.
What are the best tryes that dont give problems?

steveroy
As for the best tires, all I'll say is new ones! Do a search on tires on this forum and you'll find boucoup postings. It's like what oil to use. Each brand seems to have it's followers, I don't think any of them are much better than another. Wow, that statement will stir the pot!

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

steveroy wrote:
The rear tyre is feathered so i am told but i dont know what that means or if it will cause this problem.
steveroy, tire feathering is the raising of of the outside edges of the tread blocks usually due to the tire being dragged sideways. Feathering can usually be felt by running your hand over the tire tread in both directions. When running your hand one way the edges of the tread blocks will feel slightly raised & sharper (like bird feathers) & when your hand is run in the other direction it will feel smoother & normal.

I'm surprised you have a feathering problem as that is usually caused by a toe or other alignment problem (usually not found on motorcycles).

A feathered tire will usually give a rough roaring type sound that increases the faster you travel.

Usually motorcycle tires cup not feather.

Twisty

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:shakehead:Damn, the front tire on my bike defeated me. I was able to break the bead on the old EII, but couldn't demount it with my hand tools, the thing was just too stiff and I was afraid I couldn't get the new one on without damaging it. So I took it to a shop in town for them to do it. :blushing:I thought this might happen, the rear tire is a good bit larger in cross section and has more flexible sidewalls and it was a bear to deal with. Oh well, I shouldn't think of it as a defeat I guess, just renting a shop's tire tools. Sure hate to give up though!:whip:

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

exavid... I remember once trying put on a tire at a friends house on cape cod. only had one of those battery inflaters. tied a rope around the tire circumfurance (darn I cannot spell) and then used a broom handle to apply twisting to finally get the tire to seat.

ah, the things we do to save a buck LOL

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No problem with seating these new E IIIs, they are stiff enough all I did was stand the wheel and tire up and hit it with some air, it seated right away and popped at 40lbs. (popped meaning the bead seating). I was hoping to have the bike running by now but am waiting for the front tire.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
:shakehead:Damn, the front tire on my bike defeated me. I was able to break the bead on the old EII, but couldn't demount it with my hand tools, the thing was just too stiff and I was afraid I couldn't get the new one on without damaging it. So I took it to a shop in town for them to do it. :blushing:I thought this might happen, the rear tire is a good bit larger in cross section and has more flexible sidewalls and it was a bear to deal with. Oh well, I shouldn't think of it as a defeat I guess, just renting a shop's tire tools. Sure hate to give up though!:whip:
I tried to put a new tire on my bike a few months ago, did not get very far until I decided I might damage the rim or ruin the new tire...only $8 per tire to put them on and balance them,,,it was worth that much not to have to struggle with them....

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

That does it, I have to find a new "Idol" now !!!:baffled:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks everyone for your help and assistance, i will keep watching these pages in case i can help anyone.

I will keep you all informed about the new tyre and i will also check the breaks and speedo drive (mines cable).

Happy riding everyone

steveroy

·
Premium Member
760 Posts
imported post

I had the exact same sound on my 1200 and I had a trashed Brake rotor. Shame on me and Darn the rotor cover.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

dean_3326 wrote:
I tried to put a new tire on my bike a few months ago, did not get very far until I decided I might damage the rim or ruin the new tire...only $8 per tire to put them on and balance them,,,it was worth that much not to have to struggle with them....
You got a better deal, It cost me $25 +$4 for tire disposal to have the front mounted and balanced here. For $16 bucks for the pairI wouldn't have bothered either.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
dean_3326 wrote:
You got a better deal, It cost me $25 +$4 for tire disposal to have the front mounted and balanced here. For $16 bucks for the pairI wouldn't have bothered either.
It is a small town shop Bowie, Texas, the guy bought a state of the art tire machine and balancer., I did not have to remove the axle or disk on the front wheel nor the disk on the rear., it clamped down on the rim in 3 places and slipped the oldtire off and new one on. In Wichita Falls at the Honda shop they charge $18 and $4 to balance. I am glad I do not have to deal with them very much, they have a bad attitude and high prices....

On another note, I ran 131 miles in the cool morning air today and used 2.75 us gal of fuel, I always fill my tank to within 1 inch of the top of the neck. The mileage is with 2 riders and some freeway riding at 80, 47mpg,,,I know you and Vic have your doubts, but that is the honest mileage, I may be King of the 1200s on fuel mileage.I welcome anyone to come ride with me and check it for themselves if you want to. I am very happy about it....:jumper:

:12red::cool:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hey Dean, I won't argue with success! You've agood throttle hand! I've hit 44mpg on my 1500 on two different tankfuls, but usually it's around 40-41 but I see no reason why the 1200 couldn't or shouldn't get a bit more. The four carb setup is more efficient than the two carb 1500 if they are running right, and the gearing is a little higher on the 1500 so there are some significant differences. I never got mileage much more than 42mph on my 1200, but it wasn't a good comparison since it had fuel injection (sure miss that).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.