Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Had my bike out many times this winter.One day after the roads dried a little ,I went for a ride.The salt on the roads made my wheels dirty and I did not clean them.Well This is a lesson learned for me.I heated my garage and got the water bucket out and cleaned the bike,polish and wax.Now the wheels,They had little pits and nicks in them and they do not buff out.road salt and aluminum don't get along.My wing is 9 years old and prior to this winter those wheels looked like new,always kept them polished.shame on me for not cleaning them right after that ride. A lesson learned........:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

Same hear on the road salt. They lay it pretty thick here so it'll take a few rain showers to clean it up. Besides it's still too cold to ride but the temptation is getting the best of me. Maybe tomorrow.:waving:

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Used to live in up-state New York 34 years ago. I can relate! Thankfully in California..... road salt is not used.
Yes we do have snow in So. Cal. It is within view of the coast in some areas and up on the mountains where it is wonderful to look at!!!!!! Yes... wonderful to "look" at!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

You have good advice.

I lost a trailer due to salt and sand. Salt with the abrasive quality of sand rusted the frame of my trailer in 3 years. It was a mistake to use the trailer in February.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Yes salt is really a nightmare. I used to have a really nice Harley springer. I had it all dolled up and we lived in Oregon at the time. I would not even take it out until the road got washed off.

That salt will eat up anything.

Sorry about your wheels, that kind of thing really makes me mad too. Salt is a killer, just go for a ride along the coast and you can see the salt air start to work on the chrome. But a good coat of pledge does seem to keep it at bay. As for the wheels you do have to wipe them down immediately after each outing or they will develop little pits and turn white.

Kit

·
Premium Member
311 Posts
imported post

Kit Carson wrote:
Yes salt is really a nightmare.  I used to have a really nice Harley springer.  I had it all dolled up and we lived in Oregon at the time.  I would not even take it out until the road got washed off. 

Sorry about your wheels, that kind of thing really makes me mad too.  Salt is a killer, just go for a ride along the coast and you can see the salt air start to work on the chrome.  But a good coat of pledge does seem to keep it at bay.  As for the wheels you do have to wipe them down immediately after each outing or they will develop little pits and turn white.

Kit
We had about 3 inches of rain a few days ago. Cleaned off the salt nice.:) Snow this morning. salt back on.:X

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

wing ding wrote:
Kit Carson wrote:
Yes salt is really a nightmare. I used to have a really nice Harley springer. I had it all dolled up and we lived in Oregon at the time. I would not even take it out until the road got washed off.

Sorry about your wheels, that kind of thing really makes me mad too. Salt is a killer, just go for a ride along the coast and you can see the salt air start to work on the chrome. But a good coat of pledge does seem to keep it at bay. As for the wheels you do have to wipe them down immediately after each outing or they will develop little pits and turn white.

Kit
We had about 3 inches of rain a few days ago. Cleaned off the salt nice.:) Snow this morning. salt back on.:X
Now THAT'S what I remember!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

Yep. Salt is a pain.

If you're ever in the market for a FASTER way to damage your rims - I can give you the number of a place to take 'em to have tires mounted :shock:

·
Premium Member
62,029 Posts
imported post

They quit using salt here some time ago.. Enviromentilist said it was killing the trees or something.. Now they use sand.. Lots of sand.. It hangs in there long after the snow and ice are gone.. I don't know how slippery salt is, but sand will make your rear end pucker when you hit it on a sharp turn..

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I went for a ride not too long ago. I hit a patch of sand on the road where it had collected heavily. I almost went down. I learned a new definition of "pucker" that day.

·
Premium Member
1,103 Posts
imported post

:coollep:The Wing Stays parked until we get a couple of good Gully Washers and the driveway gets firmed up. Have had my share up butt pukers in the past trying to be the first one out for the year, have gotten older and wiser

:11brown:Winger 82

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
They quit using salt here some time ago.. Enviromentilist said it was killing the trees or something.. Now they use sand.. Lots of sand.. It hangs in there long after the snow and ice are gone.. I don't know how slippery salt is, but sand will make your rear end pucker when you hit it on a sharp turn..
I remember the salt in N.Y. building up in the intersections and turns just like when they gravel or chip seal the roads. If the salt got wet at all..... it was like greased b-b's!

Oh fond memories of my youth!

Question.... how do the wheels and chrome do in the humid southern coastline of the South East, USA? I know it has a factor here on the west coast, USAwith the morning marine layor.. "fog". I know it is nothing like direct contact with road salt!

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

Corventure,

I don't know about the humid days in the east part of the US but I know exactly what you are talking about with the marine layer coming in. I lived just south of you for 10 years in Port Hueneme/Oxnard and it was a constant struggle to keep the Italian Chrome on my MotoGuzzi from rotting away. I finally gave up on the headlight rim and fenders. I sand blasted/painted them to match the bike. That lasted until the bike was sent to the great boneyard!!

Henry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.