Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

A couple a days ago a friend of mine and I were doing a little 250 mile day trip. Turning onto a highway at an intersection we both side slipped on some tar that had recently been put in a crack. I felt like I was going down, but didn’t. It scared a crap out my buddy because he was fiddling with something on his bike.

Around here they always fill the cracks early in the season, but you don’t feel the slip on them until it gets up to about 85 degrees and the tar gets soft.

Just saying watch out for the damn Tar road snakes. They can be dangerous!

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

I have felt my bike slip on a few in the last week. Some only 3 or 4 inches wide and she slides,scares the ---- out of me.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

So far I haven't had a problem around here with the snakes except when it rains. What really bothers me is the "textured" pavement, because the front tire wants to follow the groves which are not cut true to the direction of travel, and really makes steering squirrely.

·
Premium Member
658 Posts
imported post

Geezerglider wrote:
So far I haven't had a problem around here with the snakes except when it rains. What really bothers me is the "textured" pavement, because the front tire wants to follow the groves which are not cut true to the direction of travel, and really makes steering squirrely.
Yes, the county did some of that on one of my favorite roads. You come to a nice fun curve and they slapped on some textured pavement, for traction I suppose. I hate the feel when riding though.

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
imported post

Around here I've been having trouble with the "tar & chip". They drop loose gravel on the road surface followed by a thin sheen of tar. On hot days the traffic does the paving. They used to followup with a street sweeper a few days or a week later to pick up the loose gravel. This year I've noticed they use no tar. The gravel is loose like crazy and there is a 5 to 10 foot cloud of dust because of no oil. They also seem to have eliminated the street sweepers which causes the excess gravel to "pool" in the lesser traveled areas of the lane. God forbid you ain't on your toes when riding these roads.

·
Premium Member
67,362 Posts
imported post

clpete wrote:
A couple a days ago a friend of mine and I were doing a little 250 mile day trip. Turning onto a highway at an intersection we both side slipped on some tar that had recently been put in a crack. I felt like I was going down, but didn’t. It scared a crap out my buddy because he was fiddling with something on his bike.

Around here they always fill the cracks early in the season, but you don’t feel the slip on them until it gets up to about 85 degrees and the tar gets soft.

Just saying watch out for the damn Tar road snakes. They can be dangerous!
I just went through Utah a week ago and you're right.. Some where around Torries, what a mess.. The tar theyuses in Utah is like grease.. Slip and slid and a week ago it wasn't that hot............:? :? :?

·
Administrator
27,796 Posts
imported post

Geezerglider wrote:
Got Bridgestones on Huh?
:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Got Bridgestones on Huh?
Yeah, but I never noticed the E-3's being any better. Maybe I'll try a CT on both ends next time. :D

·
Premium Member
67,362 Posts
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
Geezerglider wrote:
Got Bridgestones on Huh?
How did you guess ?? Those darnStones chase everything.. The worst front tire I've had..........:gunhead: :X :gunhead:

·
Administrator
27,796 Posts
imported post

Foodman wrote:
DaveO430 wrote:
Geezerglider wrote:
Got Bridgestones on Huh?
How did you guess ?? Those darnStones chase everything.. The worst front tire I've had..........:gunhead: :X :gunhead:
Amen brother!!!!

·
Premium Member
406 Posts
imported post

I hit some last week as I was slowing down, going over a hill turning left, I thought my wheel came loose! WEIRD FEELING! :shock:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
imported post

Well a couple of weeks ago, I was riding with Dingdong and we hit a patch on Highway 62 in Oklahoma that we would've gladly traded for tar snakes. My back hurts just thinking about it.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Now Michigan has some crappy roads.You can't get more than a year outa your shocks up there.Worst I've ever seen or rode. Here in Alabama, they do the chip and tar deal also. Really sucks.Rock chips all over your vehicle's paint, and the gravel piles up in spots. Just like the above post. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
535 Posts
imported post

The county just put down tar and gravel on top of smooth pavement in front of my house. The low bid contractor did a terrible job (rough). Now the the gravel is knocked out in the tracks where traffic runs and just melted tar on hot days.

·
Premium Member
913 Posts
imported post

jmcarthy wrote:
Around here I've been having trouble with the "tar & chip". They drop loose gravel on the road surface followed by a thin sheen of tar. On hot days the traffic does the paving. They used to followup with a street sweeper a few days or a week later to pick up the loose gravel. This year I've noticed they use no tar. The gravel is loose like crazy and there is a 5 to 10 foot cloud of dust because of no oil. They also seem to have eliminated the street sweepers which causes the excess gravel to "pool" in the lesser traveled areas of the lane. God forbid you ain't on your toes when riding these roads.
Must be pennsylvania roads.....Ah never mind

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.