Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 31 of 31 Posts
imported post

Brianinpa wrote:
I shift when the engine sounds like it needs to be shifted. I can't tell what the RPM's are (tach cable broke and I haven't changed it yet) but I have been riding it long enough to know when it is time.
Try earplugs sometime, and may find that you'll shift more with the torque curve of the engine.

imported post

Brianinpa wrote:
rgbeard wrote:
Try earplugs sometime, and may find that you'll shift more with the torque curve of the engine.
Simply means I don't pay too much attention to the RPM's I shift at, not that I don't know what I am doing...
I'm just giving you something fun to do.

imported post

Not having rode a 1800 for more than a quick cruise of a couple of miles just to say I did it, I'm afraid that I kind of over did it based on what is written. I rev my 1100 up to 4 to 5 thousand just for grins and never shift below 3000. Marg just hates to shift any lower, she kind of chugs a little. I ran the 1800 up to 5 grand or so just to get a feel for it. It felt good and it ran like a crotch rocket. Shift it like you rented it and have some fun. It can take it.

Discussion starter · #26 ·
imported post

Thanks lads for the information, I little surprised with the official speeds to gear change so maybe that is where my mate is getting it from . don't think I will change my riding stlye it just feels a lot better when you ride with the rev counter up around 3500 to 4000 rpm. A lot of wing owners I know like to get into top gear as soon as possible and allow the engine to pull along in a high gear I find in a lower gear the bike feels much more stable on the road like it was on a rail and you are never coasting around corners.

imported post

heartofgold wrote:
Thanks lads for the information, I little surprised with the official speeds to gear change so maybe that is where my mate is getting it from . don't think I will change my riding stlye it just feels a lot better when you ride with the rev counter up around 3500 to 4000 rpm. A lot of wing owners I know like to get into top gear as soon as possible and allow the engine to pull along in a high gear I find in a lower gear the bike feels much more stable on the road like it was on a rail and you are never coasting around corners.
I think I would not call these "Official Speeds".

I don't know what to call them, but they are not official upshift speeds.

imported post

Funny - this topic came up on the Sportbike network, as well.

Someone there reached a conclusion it was based on best MPG or trying for some Emissions award.

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/general-sportbikes/453819-shifting-vehicle-speed.html

@justayooper - I'm glad you can say you're one that's ENJOYED an 1800. They're smooth and powerful as a turbine. For those that never exceed 2,500 RPM, they're missing out on most of the torque curve

imported post

From that chart, if you shifted at 5,000-5,300 the next gear ought to land right on the top torque peak for some very powerful pulling.

But, in reality, the torque band is so flat, it really don't matter. Just do the shifting at 3,000+ and have a lot of fun.

imported post

wELL i USED TO DRIVE A TRUCK , 18 WHEEL . hAD DRIVERS THAT THOUGHT THEY NEEDED TO TELL ME HOW TO DRIVE MINE . aLWAYS SAID " when Ur bum is in this seat then U drive it like U want . Till then keep yer flap shut. I ride mine to please myself and that is the way it is.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.