Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The wife and I left Las Vegas last Saturday and arrived in Southern Virginia today. Riding two up, towing my Harbor Freight trailer. We averaged about 33 mpg running the speed limit or slightly over. Mostly stayed at KOAs either tent camping or in their cabins. Our 2013 bike running sweet and cruise control has been a wrist saver. No rain and only bad area was I-70 across Kansas. Heavy crosswinds and hot! 2400 miles so far. Heading to Ohio next week before heading back to Nevada. May hit Mt Rushmore on the way back. Not really sure yet.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The wife and I left Las Vegas last Saturday and arrived in Southern Virginia today. Riding two up, towing my Harbor Freight trailer. We averaged about 33 mpg running the speed limit or slightly over. Mostly stayed at KOAs either tent camping or in their cabins. Our 2013 bike running sweet and cruise control has been a wrist saver. No rain and only bad area was I-70 across Kansas. Heavy crosswinds and hot! 2400 miles so fat. Heading to Ohio next week before heading back to Nevada. May hit Mt Rushmore on the way back. Not really sure yet.

Sounds like a great time. I vote for Mt Rushmore on the way back!

·
Registered
243 Posts
I went to Mt. Rushmore 2 years ago. They were resurfacing the road and there were signs saying Motorcycles Use Extreme Caution all over the place and it was raining with 30 mph cross winds! On the way down I had a death grip on the handlebars and it was pretty scary to say the least. I tried to relax and once I did, I swear that bike found it's own way down!!! It was definitely a great moment!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Your avatar, is that just inside west Yellowstone on the scenic side road ?
Good eye. Yes it is. Only way to see Yellowstone is on the back of a bike.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
Nice looking bike, looks just like mine - except yours is probably cleaner.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
When you go to Mt Rushmore, be darn sure you also visit Crazy Horse Monument.
There is a really nice KOA near Rushmore.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Maybe now it is..

Nice looking bike, looks just like mine - except yours is probably cleaner.

Ride safe and enjoy the ride.
I had to take it to car wash today and remove 2,400 miles of bug guts. Took $5 in quarters. Looking good now.

·
life is good
1,159 Posts
:grin3:
The wife and I left Las Vegas last Saturday and arrived in Southern Virginia today. Riding two up, towing my Harbor Freight trailer. We averaged about 33 mpg running the speed limit or slightly over. Mostly stayed at KOAs either tent camping or in their cabins. Our 2013 bike running sweet and cruise control has been a wrist saver. No rain and only bad area was I-70 across Kansas. Heavy crosswinds and hot! 2400 miles so far. Heading to Ohio next week before heading back to Nevada. May hit Mt Rushmore on the way back. Not really sure yet.
:grin3::grin3::grin3::smile2::):grin3: clap clap good for you all keep on bikeing!!!

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Relatives are in Covington. I-64 near the West Virginia border. Rode up through White Sulphur Springs to Snowshoe, West Virginia today. Cold as hell. 50 degrees and dense fog on top.

·
Premium Member
3,488 Posts
Relatives are in Covington. I-64 near the West Virginia border. Rode up through White Sulphur Springs to Snowshoe, West Virginia today. Cold as hell. 50 degrees and dense fog on top.
Know it well, did my initial trooper field training there late '7 into 'early '79, met my wife there at the DMV Clifton Forge, she was the "DMV" person then ....
.... and in fact, we was just over there yesterday (28th) ..... left here via 64 west, gas at BP Covington, out through Callaghan, down to Sweat Chalabytea (spl?) and across 3 to Union and then down 219 some, double back and up 219 to 3 and over through Alderson (Martha Stewart's residence for a while :D) and ate at what I think is the best Shoney's in these parts, Lewisburg ..... then east on 64 with the sun at our back .... Interstate 64 is pretty nice. Got back home about 8:00 PM.

Her dad was with Daniel's Const when they built 64 over there in the '60s, they lived at Low Moor near Mr's Shelton's (Cat & Owl now).

Small world.

My first choice was to go up 219 to 39 west to 150 up through Monongahelia and back but "Wife Unit" said we were gonna be on those same roads in a few weeks so I went the other way.

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
It is a very small world. My wife waitresses at the Cat and Owl to work her way through college. We rode up to Cass and surrounding areas. Passed through Lewisburg yesterday. Today went up to Falling Springs for some pictures.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.