Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

is this a trike ? Toe out or toe in will wear the tires out very quick. to check at home, you can use many methods, use 2 parallel strings or chalk lines with the bikeparked between then measure from the line or string to the side wall of the tirefront of the axle and then to the rear of the axle. the difference is toe in or out or take it back to the dealer

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

jnel is right. Assuming you have a trike and not a sidecar, adjusting toe-in isn't for the faint-hearted. You need to know how to do it, else it's trial and error and waiting to see if the new tyre wears out better or worse.
If your trike has been eating tyres since you got it, the initial wheel set up might have been done wrong.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

7/8 inch tow out. is this normal? Just bought trike 4 mos.ago, 2001/06trike kit.

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

pretzel wrote:
7/8 inch tow out. is this normal? Just bought trike 4 mos.ago, 2001/06trike kit.
I would say no way. 1/8 total (left 1/16 - right 1/16) out

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

pretzel wrote:
No it's not normal.
I hope you bought it from a dealer not used.
If used that's probably why the owner sold it.:lash:

From the Roadsmith site.
Low maintenance. No alignment adjustments.
So take it back to the dealer or to a trusted mechanic to get checked out.

BTW: Take it on a trailer as if something is worn out you could total the trike and yourself if it lets go.

·
It aint rocket science
3,921 Posts
imported post

If it is a solid axle that has been cut down, oh well. If independent rear suspension you should be able to tweak it easy enough.

JD

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

This would have to be a independant suspension to have 7/8" toe out and would have to have an adjustment.

straight axles can be tweaked to change toe but very little before major malfunction occur

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

I'ld want "zero" toe on my rear wheels if independent .... :thumbsup:

:dumb:

( actually, I'ld want the same "zero" toe with my straight axle too.)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Not to dought your messurement but a trike with 7/8toe out would be dam near imposible to ride i would think. Are you measuring the distance between the front of the tires and the back of the tiresand getting 7/8 more at the front. Wow. If a solid axle any good frame shop could straitin that for cpl hundred dollars. But would realy be wondering what kinda hitit toke to bend the rear that much?
wilf

·
Premium Member
537 Posts
imported post

CrystalPistol wrote:
I'ld want "zero" toe on my rear wheels if independent .... :thumbsup:
If you run "0" toe the trike will NOTdrive very good (wandering) all vehicles with side by side wheels need toe.

A vehicle with a lot of toe will drive fine, but wears tires very fast. Toe also helps with corning

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

They all can be measured for "toe in" or"toe out", and zero means they are "parallel" and thus "toe" is "zero".

The whole point of having wheels"toe in" slightly is to allow for front wheels that are pushed down the roadway to tighten up in rubber bushings which sees them pushed back slightly. If set to "zero toe" they'ld assume a "toe out" condition going down the roadway. You can adjust a little "toe out" on a track car which will cause it to turn into a corner better, but it will also eat inside tread, but then it's a track car.

On my two T birds with independent rear suspension, their rear wheelsget set at "zero toe" as they bothpush and get pulled depending if acceleration or braking.

My Trike has a solid axle in rear, it has "zero toe" as do my pickups and other cars and mytrailers.

:)

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

I would take the trike to an athurized dealer/repair shop and have it looked at. A regular shop that does allinements might be able to put the sensors on the rear wheels and tell you exactly what the tow really is.

CrystalPistol wrote:
They all can be measured for "toe in" or"toe out", and zero means they are "parallel" and thus "toe" is "zero".

The whole point of having wheels"toe in" slightly is to allow for front wheels that are pushed down the roadway to tighten up in rubber bushings which sees them pushed back slightly. If set to "zero toe" they'ld assume a "toe out" condition going down the roadway. You can adjust a little "toe out" on a track car which will cause it to turn into a corner better, but it will also eat inside tread, but then it's a track car.

On my two T birds with independent rear suspension, their rear wheelsget set at "zero toe" as they bothpush and get pulled depending if acceleration or braking.

My Trike has a solid axle in rear, it has "zero toe" as do my pickups and other cars and mytrailers.

:)
As we are getting a little off topic....

Also, a front drive car will tend to have tow-out from the factory, as the drive force will tend to pull them close to zero-tow.

Yes, some extra tow-out will help keep a car stable with both turn-in and abrupt direction changes in performace driving, but caster,ackerman angles and other factors come into play too.

Bill

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Trike pulls to the right,I ran two 2x4's nexr to tires and measuted toe out. left wheel looks ro be bent to outside at the front. will cintack The Trike Shop see what they recomend.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

pretzel

Did you buy it from the trike shop or a dealer? Or private sale?

·
Premium Member
3,702 Posts
imported post

77Pinto wrote:
I would take the trike to an athurized dealer/repair shop and have it looked at. A regular shop that does allinements might be able to put the sensors on the rear wheels and tell you exactly what the tow really is.

Also, a front drive car will tend to have tow-out from the factory, as the drive force will tend to pull them close to zero-tow.

Yes, some extra tow-out will help keep a car stable with both turn-in and abrupt direction changes in performace driving, but caster,ackerman angles and other factors come into play too.

Bill
Oh yeah, he needs to get his "toe" checked and set, but with using 2x4s and even as crude as a tires sidewalls can be, if he measured 3/4" toe out, he's got something worn out bad or bent.

Ihave never owned a strictly Frt Whl Drive car so I didn't think to include them, but I used to have a '84 Subaru GL HB 4WD that ran in Frt WD most of the time (had a TC with 2HI, 4HI, 4LO) , had it from 36K to 186 K, sold it to a close buddy for the price of the 4 new tires, he drove it two years to well over 200K (instead of his F-250) in a long commute on his days offbefore the termites started letting go in 2010, I never thought to put it on an alignment rack, but then it never was hard on tires in the 21 years we had it and my wife commuted in it.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

pretzel wrote:
Trike pulls to the right,I ran two 2x4's nexr to tires and measuted toe out. left wheel looks ro be bent to outside at the front. will cintack The Trike Shop see what they recomend.
Are you saying the wheel is bent?

When checking toe by your method 2x4's You need to rotate the tire with the trike jacked up to find the low and high spots on the tire and rotate the tire so the 2x4 crosses the tire at 2 spots that are near the same so bent rim or tire will have little effect on your messurement.

You may need a new axle housing if iy isout that much. Somkething is obviously very wrong

Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

wilf wrote:
pretzel wrote:
Are you saying the wheel is bent?

When checking toe by your method 2x4's You need to rotate the tire with the trike jacked up to find the low and high spots on the tire and rotate the tire so the 2x4 crosses the tire at 2 spots that are near the same so bent rim or tire will have little effect on your messurement.

You may need a new axle housing if iy isout that much. Somkething is obviously very wrong
It is also importsnt theat the axle is in alinment with front wheel. The best thing tio use is a string line on each side of tne bike strung betweenjack stands. You need to run the strings parralel to each otherfrom behind the bike to past the front of the bike. You then center the front wheel between the 2 strings andalso the rear between the 2 strings. then you can messurethe rear wheel at the front and back sidewall's this will tell you the alinment of each wheel. You could also runn a 3 rd string across the back square to the othere 2 lines . You can meassure the axle tosee seeifone sideis farther ahead than the other. Wilf

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.