Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just did a schwack of work on the bike with some new parts:1. Removed rusted/holey old mufflers with no baffles; replaced with OEM good ones with baffles.2. Removed my old carbs; installed a set from a '79 that was rebuilt 6 months ago by a Honda shop, all new parts.3. Replaced throttle cables.4. Refurbished gas tank, in place. Here's how i did it:I bought a hand pump siphon. First i sucked out all the gas. Then i poured some Evapo-Rust (non-toxic) rust remover. AMAZING stuff! Works by chelation, not chemical. It de-oxidizes the rust particles. Then i sucked it back through from the tank, back into filler neck, swooshing the whole tank with a gallon of the stuff.Siphoned all that out, for re-use, filtering it into a clean bucket. Then i flushed out the tank with the drain open with a high-powered hose. Siphoned all the water out. THen i re-coated it with Evapo-Rust, to get remaining sediment out and to leave a 'coating' for prevention. Siphoned all the liquid out. Let it dry in the sun. Then took a hair dryer to it. Once it was mostly dry, i vacuumed out the dry rust/dirt!Re-filled with fresh gas and some gas-line treatment.5. Synched carbs.6. Washed bike.It's popping a little bit out the mufflers, but i think that's partly from washing, partly from moisture in the tank. Also, i will put in fresh plugs too. It idles great, sounds quieter, and most importantly, it drives like a bat out of hell now!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i forgot to mention...yes, new filter was already on the bike.

·
Premium Member
299 Posts
imported post

I'ld check the spark plug holes, their should be a drain hole, it likes to get pluged up and then fills with water, I used a metal cloths hanger, cut it and shoved it through the hole, Besides that Happy ridding, I'm waiting for my carb kits, so I can get some miles on mine.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Just did a schwack of work on the bike with some new parts:1. Removed rusted/holey old mufflers with no baffles; replaced with OEM good ones with baffles.2. Removed my old carbs; installed a set from a '79 that was rebuilt 6 months ago by a Honda shop, all new parts.3. Replaced throttle cables.4. Refurbished gas tank, in place. Here's how i did it:I bought a hand pump siphon. First i sucked out all the gas. Then i poured some Evapo-Rust (non-toxic) rust remover. AMAZING stuff! Works by chelation, not chemical. It de-oxidizes the rust particles. Then i sucked it back through from the tank, back into filler neck, swooshing the whole tank with a gallon of the stuff.Siphoned all that out, for re-use, filtering it into a clean bucket. Then i flushed out the tank with the drain open with a high-powered hose. Siphoned all the water out. THen i re-coated it with Evapo-Rust, to get remaining sediment out and to leave a 'coating' for prevention. Siphoned all the liquid out. Let it dry in the sun. Then took a hair dryer to it. Once it was mostly dry, i vacuumed out the dry rust/dirt!Re-filled with fresh gas and some gas-line treatment.5. Synched carbs.6. Washed bike.It's popping a little bit out the mufflers, but i think that's partly from washing, partly from moisture in the tank. Also, i will put in fresh plugs too. It idles great, sounds quieter, and most importantly, it drives like a bat out of hell now!

Sounds like you are going to have a maintenance free summer on your Wing. Goodjob Mag.

Vic

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Thanks Vic! The hard work was worth it. Now i just have to do my timing belts and tensioners, for peace of mind. Did you read my previous post on that?http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/2237.html
Hey mag, the old beast should be ready for the road for sure. I'd recommend a little Heet or another water absorbent in the tank for the first tank or two. There are always little droplets of water that manage to stay in the tank and that stuff will get rid of them. I have never had any problem using the stuff, just put it in when you are going to ride a good bit so you use up the gas in a day or so.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

yup, already put in some gas treatment, though i put in a full tank...oops. oh well, i'll ride lots, and put some more in until the tank's empty.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
yup, already put in some gas treatment, though i put in a full tank...oops. oh well, i'll ride lots, and put some more in until the tank's empty.
Now comes the difficult, hard, time consuming part, you have to ride the hell out of it.

:clapper::clapper::clapper:

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
Thanks Vic! The hard work was worth it. Now i just have to do my timing belts and tensioners, for peace of mind. Did you read my previous post on that?http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/2237.html

Yes I did read that thread Mag. Hope you get your belts changed withoit anyproblems. Don't forget that the right side cam pulley will turn conterclockwise when you pull the belt off, you need to hold it while installing the new belt on that side. Also, check your tensioners for noise and replace them if you feel bearing roughness.

Good luck.

Vic

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

I am having to clean my rusty tank on my 76 LTD. I'm curious as to how well this fix is holding up a year later? Much rust coming back or fuel filter changes. I know the advice from most on the forum would be to pull the tank and take it to a radiator shop, but I'm wondering how much success you had with this method of keeping it in the frame.

-Joe

·
Premium Member
1,531 Posts
imported post

nice looking bmw by the way. If I had to choose any other bike besides a Goldwing, it would be a BMW.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.