Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all from Wigan UK.

I really enjoy riding my goldwing but am an absolute technical novice so I am asking for advice on removing the rocker valve covers for the purpose of cleaning them. I have read lots on this site about how to go about it but I still have a question - do I need to drain any engine oil first or can I just set to and remove the covers?

Thanks in advance for all your replies.

By the way it is a 1985 GL1200 Aspencade

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

It's not very fun. I don't drain any oil before I pull mine, but you will lose a little, so be prepared to catch it and check/refill oil level when done. To pull them you'll need to pull the lower fairings and engine guards, which I have not been able to do without dropping the exhaust a little. Once all that is out of the way just pull the 4 allen bolts and pop it off. I also recomend doing the gaskets for the base of the covers and the bolts while you're at it, they usually don't like to seal twice.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the prompt reply and the advice. That has put my mind at rest. Now have to wait for a dry day to do it as I don't have a garage and the covered shelter at the side of the house where she is parked up has limited access for working on the bike.
thanks again

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

Ya, you will lose a slight amount. Just put a rag down first.

CAUTION:
Be very very careful when putting the bolts back in. Although the bolt has a large head, the shaft of it is very thin as you will see. If you overtighten, you WILL snap them off. I did that on 2 of them on my 86 Aspencade years ago.

·
Premium Member
2,722 Posts
imported post

Be very very careful when putting the bolts back in.
Good catch, I forgot to mention that, you might want to look it up but I think it's like 9 lbs/ft is all they take.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.