Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Greetings my fellow wingnuts!

I would like to install a roger beep on my 89. Has anyone pulled that off?

·
Premium Member
107 Posts
imported post

Why would you want to do that. It is so annoying when you are in a group ride and someone has that turned on. It's just my opinion, but it serves no practical purpose.

burt

·
Premium Member
1,423 Posts
imported post

It is a small circuit added to the mic that will hold the transmit open for just a second after you release the transmit button, and it injects a short series of beeps.

If you think that is irritating, listen to a radio equipped with echo! o! o! o! o!

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

And it irritates "the hell" out of me. JMPO though. Hate it.

I put it right in the same class of irritants with all of those Nextel PTT cellphones that I refused to use at work. I would not turn mine on. If someone needed me, they could call my personal cellphone.

Those beeps just jangle my nerves and make me want to climb a wall. sorry for the long harangue, but not everyone appreciates those things.

If you don't hear your buddy talking for "two seconds", he must have turned loose of the PTT button. :)

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

Now that you have those opinions, here's a different one. :dude: I recently took a cross country trip with two friends, all of us on 1500's. They were frequently stepping on each others transmissions, so a roger beep could have been helpful in this situation. :) If the people you are riding with don't like it, they can ask you to turn it off. Shouldn't be a big deal.

Curious, have any of you roger beep haters ever asked someone to turn it off, or do you just sit there hating it and grumbling under your breath? ;):dude:

John

·
Premium Member
690 Posts
imported post

Usually about everyone in the group calls in and says...... please turn off that roger beep!!!!!! We are not all Captain Wizz-Bang of the Army Air Corps.:battle:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

BEEP :D

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

corventure wrote:
Usually about everyone in the group calls in and says...... please turn off that roger beep!!!!!!
I thought California was all about tolerance?:dude::cheeky1:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The Roger Beep was developed for those cber's that were too lazy to learn the proper terms used over the radio. It's not needed if you learn how to end every transmission with "Over", "Out", or "Roger". Some even use the term "Go ahead". Any one of these four will suffice as long as everyone uses them.

These are all common terms and words ported over to cb's from the ham radio community. Most of the "10" codes ported over from law enforcement.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

WOW!!!

ask a question around here and you open up a can of worms.

On our larger rides we have a number of bikes w/c.b.s, and we do step on each other a lot. One rider does have it on his bike and we think it handy.

So, can it be done on a 89 with out pulling my hair out??
BEEP!!

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Well, I was not going to get involved but sense your outnumbered,I do have it. People I ride with also have it, so we all get along just fine. I'm hard of hearing (only about 30% left) so it actually helps me. Ferguswingnut, I can't answer your question as it was already done when I had it installed several years ago, but I'll be that positive for ya. :cooldj:

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

ferguswingnut wrote:
WOW!!!

On our larger rides we have a number of bikes w/c.b.s, and we do step on each other a lot. One rider does have it on his bike and we think it handy.

So, can it be done on a 89 with out pulling my hair out??
BEEP!!
Hey, we like worms,

for fish bait!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

ferguswingnut wrote:
WOW!!!

Well I was going to chalk up the grumpinessto being snowbound and stir crazy in the Winter months, but most of these people that responded don't live in areas where that is a problem, so I'll have to chalk it up to gas. :cheeky1:

I did a quick Google search, and there are ready-made roger beep modules available, but I didn't find any specifically for a Wing. Probably would work but hopefully someone a little less gassy that has done this will come along with tips. :D

BTW, I forgot to welcome you to the forum. You will find that most of the time this is a very friendly forum.

John

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

SpiderBob wrote:
Well, I was not going to get involved but sense your outnumbered,I do have it. People I ride with also have it, so we all get along just fine. I'm hard of hearing (only about 30% left) so it actually helps me. Ferguswingnut, I can't answer your question as it was already done when I had it installed several years ago, but I'll be that positive for ya. :cooldj:
Yeah!! Another guy who's not gassy. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cooldevil:

So you wise acres that have given poor ferguswingnutsuch a bad time here, have any of you even welcomed him to the forum yet?

John

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,722 Posts
imported post

Okay, how about yet a different comparison?

I've been a ham radio (Amatuer Radio) operator since 1959. You will not find Roger Beeps in use on the ham bands very much at all. It is considered to be impolite and you will get told to turn it off if you use it.

We talk there just like you do in a normal conversation. Hear some silence? Hmmmm, must be my turn. roger beeps are not needed and have no valid use. again, JMPO.

;) other opinions are listened to, but not accepted ;)

If I were with a group of wingers using the CB to keep in touch, and someone thought they needed a Roger Beep to make their point. I would turn my radio to the FM music band or just plain off.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Dag Nabit!:doh: Welcome to the forum, you will enjoy it here, stick around you'll see, behind the thick skins are a bunch of marshmallows:cheeky1:

Came back to correct a really easy word that I misspelled.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

AZgl1500 wrote:
Okay, how about yet a different comparison?

I've been a ham radio (Amatuer Radio) operator since 1959. You will not find Roger Beeps in use on the ham bands very much at all. It is considered to be impolite and you will get told to turn it off if you use it.

We talk there just like you do in a normal conversation. Hear some silence? Hmmmm, must be my turn. roger beeps are not needed and have no valid use. again, JMPO.

;) other opinions are listened to, but not accepted ;)

If I were with a group of wingers using the CB to keep in touch, and someone thought they needed a Roger Beep to make their point. I would turn my radio to the FM music band or just plain off.
If we ever meet somewhere out there in bikers land, I would be honored to turn off the beep and ride with ya.:santawaving:That's why there is a switch.:)

1 - 20 of 55 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.