Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Administrator
58,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read a thread today where someone said they use ROK straps to secure their bike to a Center Stand Dolly.

got to wondering, what is a "ROK Strap", and just how strong are they?

found this video which explains how they work -simply the best way to carry stuff on your ride! | ROK Straps for Motorsports

and Amazon sells them all of course.

I'm thinking that I will order up the 5 ft length version, which can secure a load from 18" to 60"

.My Ice Chest that fits on the hitch rack, has always been a PITA to find straps that are "just right" to keep it from falling off the rack.
Looks like the ROK Strap may just be the ticket for what I need.

·
Impersonating a mechanic
1,137 Posts
How do you plan to keep the tail of the cinch strap from flapping in the breeze? The video didn't show that and I always wondered if there were a cool way to do that. I've used a series of half-hitches back up the strap, but it's kind of cumbersome and looks funky, IMO.

·
Administrator
58,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
you caught that too, huh?

for my Ice Chest, I would have to have a dedicated strap just long enough to secure it down, no tail to flap around..

Bungee cords are quite good at what they do, no loose ends.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
657 Posts
I’ve been using them a long time. Mostly to strap stuff to the back seat. I really like them, always had trouble finding bungee cords just the right length. I to, tie off the left over length of the strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,481 Posts
I tend to make my own straps to needs using lashing straps for material and hardware (buckles, etc) and a little heavy duty threading. Made a nice "cargo net" for my F-150 to keep certain items near tailgate under cover for easy access, top & bottom are doubled. I also have dedicated tie down harnesses for cooler or other items carried on hitch rack on trike.

I've added belts & carry straps to jackets or heavy duty soft carriers as well, no pics though. Have a really nice custom harness to hold my big old SS Aladin Thermos in the passenger seat of my police cars. Added straps to a camera case to hold my Nikon at ready chest level when riding.

·
Registered
248 Posts
I used Rok Straps last year to go cross-country. They held my tent and sleeping gear on the luggage rack really well, and made it super easy to take off and put back on. I routed the straps across and under the rack, then up the front and over to the back side where I tied the loose ends to each other in a way that didn't interfere with quick connect / disconnect. The few times I took a quick trip without the camping gear on the rack I was able to stretch them around the rack for an additional loop or two to keep them taut.

·
Premium Member
527 Posts
I use the ratcheting straps and just as they are getting tight I tuck the end in so it gets sucked into the ratchet mechanism. leaves a loop that can be tied down, no end flapping and unraveling. Works great.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How do you plan to keep the tail of the cinch strap from flapping in the breeze? The video didn't show that and I always wondered if there were a cool way to do that. I've used a series of half-hitches back up the strap, but it's kind of cumbersome and looks funky, IMO.
I just fold the end as many times as needed and then tuck it under the strap in a good spot won't fly out

1 - 11 of 11 Posts