Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been riding for 3whole weeks:D. I thought I would flaunt my ignorance before the whole forum---- what is a swing arm? What do they do? Do they wear out? Where are they on an 82 standard?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings to the best Wing forum in the World.:clapper:

In answer to your stupid question:D:waving:the swing arm is the rear device that your rear wheel attaches to. In our wing's case, part of the swing arm is comprised of the rear drive assembly as well as the piece of metal that extends back from a pivot point on the frame. The swing arm in simplicity is the part of the bike that allows movement of the rear suspension. In earlier chain driven bikes you could say it was a u-shaped piece of metal that held the axle for the rear wheel and mounting points for the shocks.

Uh.....it's the piece that pivots up and down at the rear and has the rear wheel attached to it. You know, the more I try to describe it, the harder it gets to describe.:gunhead::baffled::stumped:

Gurus will be along in a minute.:grinner:

Hobie's going to bed now, the tablets are kickin' in.:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks Hobie, that makes perfect sense. I think that I will make this a weekly feature on the forum- The Rookie's Stupid Question of the Week!!:goofygrin:

Maybe something like" Why doesn't 40lbs of air not weigh 40lbs?:doh:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Hey, no problem. We've all been there at some point or another. That's what makes this forum rise above all the others. You don't have to worry about being berated if you're being sincere.

Have a great time with your bike. Ride safe.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
imported post

The Only stupid question is the one not asked.... :D:Dand of course if deer alerts really work (now that's stupid):cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Best looking member
3,106 Posts
imported post

Come on Hobie, tell him the truth. The swing arm is a square dancing term referring to the arm you lock with the next person to swing around and meet up with the next. It actually has nothing to do with motorcycles.

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

nickstas wrote:
The Only stupid question is the one not asked.... :D:Dand of course if deer alerts really work (now that's stupid):cheeky1::cheeky1:
Oh-Oh...you mean they don't work?? D--N! Next you're going to tell me there is no Santa Claus...no Tooth Fairy...STOP - STOP IT! I can't deal.:crying: Gotta get some of Hobie1's tablets.

·
Premium Member
167 Posts
imported post

S Clark wrote:
Thanks Hobie, that makes perfect sense. I think that I will make this a weekly feature on the forum- The Rookie's Stupid Question of the Week!!:goofygrin:
You would have my vote for that.:waving:

I am new as well, and have asked some "stipid questions". Although it would probably need to be run by someone with a very good sence of humor.. not sure if we could find anyone like that on this sight however:dude:

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

:321::angel2::2finger:

[shadow=darkred]methinks it's time to retire to the anteroom. arrrgh[/shadow]

Hobie1........out.......:byebye:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

99trev wrote:
S Clark wrote:
You would have my vote for that.:waving:

I am new as well, and have asked some "stipid questions". Although it would probably need to be run by someone with a very good sence of humor.. not sure if we could find anyone like that on this sight however:dude:
Please don't make the "question time" exclusive to rookies, I have had Wings since I was 22 and 99.9% of my questions are still basic ones.

Of course, I did know what a swinging arm is, I didn't get where I am today, without knowing a bit about square dancing!! :cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Speaking of square dancing--anyone ever do a polka quadrille??? Now there was a workout. In the old days, when it was forbotten to consume inside the dance hall, after the polka quadrille, we all had to go outside for a slosh of refreshment.:skipping:

·
Premium Member
938 Posts
imported post

I've never done polka quadrille but I've done the Lobster Quadrille.

Will you walk a little faster?" said a whiting to a snail.
There's a porpoise close behind us, and he's treading on my tail.[/i

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hawker22 wrote:
Speaking of square dancing--anyone ever do a polka quadrille??? Now there was a workout. In the old days, when it was forbotten to consume inside the dance hall, after the polka quadrille, we all had to go outside for a slosh of refreshment.:skipping:
I wonder which girl you were dating back then, who was prepared to do that with you!!!:shock::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

S Clark wrote:
Maybe something like" Why doesn't 40lbs of air not weigh 40lbs?:doh:
Actually...it does. :) Here goes the physics lesson. :)

Air pressure at sea level at 70 degrees F is 14.7 psi. This means, if you were to take a column of air starting at sea level, and one inch on a side (one inch wide by one inch deep by many miles high) that went from sea level up to the altitude at which the atmosphere ends, that column of air would weigh 14.7 lbs.

Airis a lot heavier than most people realize. One cubic yard of air at sea level pressure and at a temperature of 70 F weighs almost exactly 2 pounds. The air in a room 12 ft x 14 ft with an 8-foot ceiling weighs almost exactly 100 pounds.

Now lbs is not the same as PSI. 40 psi means that the pressurized air exerts a pressure of 40 lbs for every square inch of the container that it is contained within. That's an awful lot of force.

Something that always makes me laugh is movies where people open the doors in a jet airliner while in flight.

If you'll look closely next time you're on a plane, you'll notice that the doors pull in before they swing out. When the plane is on the ground (which is when you're supposed to use the doors), that doesn't matter much, because the air pressure is equal on both sides. But when the plane is at cruising altitude, the inside (cabin) pressure is so much greater than the outside pressure that you'd have to have superhuman strength to pull the door open. Let's say the door measures 6 feet tall by 3 feet wide. That's 2,592 square inches, for those of you that want to do the math. The cabin pressure in a typical commercial aircraft is about 7 PSI. At 35,000 feet atmospheric pressure outside is about 3.5 PSI. The pressure differential is around 3.5 PSI. Multiply this by the 2,592 square inches on the door, and that gives you 9,072 pounds of force holding that door shut. To get the door open you'd have to overcome a net outward pressure of more than 4 tons. Fat chance.

Even a negligible pressure differential of .1 PSI - that's 1/10 PSI - exerts a force of almost 260 lbs on that door. This had unfortunate results for a flight attendant back in 2001 - he opened the door while the airliner was still slightly pressurized, the door blew open and threw him out on to the ground, where he was killed:

http://www.ntsb.gov/recs/letters/2001/A01_16_22.pdf

End of physics lesson. Oh, and yeah, I'm a pilot. :)

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Well, if we really want to get into it, we need to include the affects of Bernoulli's Theorum which reduces the outside pressure even further as velocity increases....... BTW, there will be a test at the end of this thread so I hope everyone is paying attention...Hobie 1, Silverfox, Goldwinger, you had better not be dozing off!!!:whip::whip:

·
Best looking member
3,106 Posts
imported post

End of physics lesson. Oh, and yeah, I'm a pilot. :)

Ya sure seem to pile it well:grinner::grinner::grinner:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

S Clark wrote:
Well, if we really want to get into it, we need to include the affects of Bernoulli's Theorum which reduces the outside pressure even further as velocity increases....... BTW, there will be a test at the end of this thread so I hope everyone is paying attention...Hobie 1, Silverfox, Goldwinger, you had better not be dozing off!!!:whip::whip:
Zzzzzz eh!!!?? No no, I'm still awake.... is the answer two??:baffled::shock::shock:

I am just bloody amazed at what Wingers know.... facinating stuff. All that air pressure stuff, no wonder I get blown about on my 1500, it is like driving through a brick wall!!:cheeky1::waving:

I will definately tell anyone off, if I see them trying to get out at 30,000 ft!!

Zzzzzzzzzzzz.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Huh, no I'm still hear. here. Testing Testing...........................

Somehow the venturi effect sucked the mercury right out of mybarometer.:cheeky1:

What does the swing arm do? alalmanda left alalmanda right :pumpkin::pumpkin::pumpkin:

Don't tell me about how much air weighs since I was just over at my in-laws and I swear they were squeezing the life right out of me. Hot air does NOT rise all the time.:D

You know what the difference between in-laws and out-laws is????

At least out-laws are wanted:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::coollep:

Hobie's really tired and now will go to bed.:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
1,660 Posts
imported post

nickstas wrote:
Is it normal for one of my testicles to be slightly larger than the other two?

(BTW, I like the idea of the question of the week, except with the fantastic people on this here, the site is driven by all of our questions.)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.