Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm new to motorcycling, and just got my first bike, a 1983 GL1100 Standard. It has 26,000 miles and a fairing and hard trunk. I've had it for about two months now, and am having a blast! Everything seems to be working great on it, it's always been garaged and doesn't leak or drip any juices on my garage floor. I've been reading the forum since i got the bike. I'm planning on replacing the timing belt this winter since i don't know when it was last replaced if ever. I am the type of person who likes to know everything about what i'm doing. Along with the forum, i'm reading "Proficient Motorcycling" and "More Proficient Motorcycling" and am planning on taking a motorcycle safety course in the spring.
Couple of questions for the old pro's that may sound stupid, but i still want to ask.
1.) Do i need to shut off the fuel when i turn if off, and why?
2.) My dad, whom i bought it off of told me to always choke it when i start it, even when the bike is warm, is this correct?
3.) Gonna have to buy tires in the spring, have read days worth of discussions about tires, but where do i have them put on at, cycle shop, do regular tire places do it?

Also any advice is more than welcome...josh

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

Turn the fuel off ( I do it every time) so you avoid the chance of a hydraulic lock (raw fuel in the cyclinders)

Choke a warm bike? I can not think of a good reason to do that.

bike shops do a good job of mounting and balancing ( usually) but where I live at least they want and arm and a leg for the tires. and if you want to mount them youself they gouge you to balance them.
I do it all myself

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Rainman7585 wrote:
...1.) Do i need to shut off the fuel when i turn if off, and why?
2.) My dad, whom i bought it off of told me to always choke it when i start it, even when the bike is warm, is this correct?
3.) Gonna have to buy tires in the spring, have read days worth of discussions about tires, but where do i have them put on at, cycle shop, do regular tire places do it?...
> 1) Yes, for most bikes with a carb, becuase if you happen to have a stuck-float-bowl-valve then the flow of gas will remain On even with the engine Off... the result being an engine full of gas, which will seize when cranked.

> 2) Generally the choke is only used on a Cold engine... It won't hurt to use it on a warm engine, other than making it more difficult to start due to ending up with a overly rich fuel fixture. Try starting it warm without the choke... see which works better; might find that you need either no-choke or perhaps "less" choke.

3) You'll have to go to a cycle shop... most car shops won't touch a bike tire, either due to insurance regulations and/or not having appropriately-sized equipment.
Safety Hint: Use that as an opportunity to Upgrade your valve stemps to All-metal

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
imported post

Wow! Where to begin...

Get a manual. Read it.

I assume you've got tools. The engine is similar to a Subaru or Volkswagen, but better. Change the oil and grease the fittings on a regular basis. Read the applicable documents on this board and others.

Read the manual. Enjoy the hell out of a good machine. The inherent problems are few and easy for the average guy to fix.

You can pretty much maintain the bike with a can of WD40 and a tube of grease, a set of sockets and wrenches and four screwdrivers.

Some folks may argue that a German bike is more reliable. In twelve years of riding wings I know that is not true. In 10,000 miles on a Goldwing I've been stranded four times. I've always been able to get back on the road with no more than a pocket knife on most of them. One of them cost me two days in Gunnison Co. though. The other three just took a half hour to fix.

Enjoy the bike man!

·
Premium Member
12,781 Posts
imported post

If you have a mom n pop shop in your area , they may mount/balance for a better price than the name brand bike dealers . as for pricing , if you have said small local shop , let them give you a price on them getting the tire and mounting . You might be surprised .

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

Rainman, Thanks for your post you must have read my mind all the data applies to me as well. New to biking, last 2 months, having a blast, and I need all those services as well on mine.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the choke has to be used as needed, when the engine is cold, you may use the choke to make it start, try not to apply the full choke or you can flood the engine, sometimes too much choke wont get your bike started. when it is warm you will see that she will start easier and if she needs the choke to start then there is something bad with the carbs, probably the low idle circuits are plugged or something. if you just got the bike and the mpg is a bit low it wont hurt if you rebuild the carbs with a kit from www.randakks.com

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
imported post

Hey Rainman we will have to get together to ride. Go to Cycle-Recycle on 10th street prices are reasonable and he doesn't charge an arm and a leg for mounting and balancing the tires.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

All the advise has been great and is much appreciated thanks very much for all your help so far

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Rainman7585 wrote:
1.) Do i need to shut off the fuel when i turn if off, and why?
3.) Gonna have to buy tires in the spring, have read days worth of discussions about tires, but where do i have them put on at, cycle shop, do regular tire places do it?
1) Yes, you should. When I had my 1200, I didn't but I never had a problem. However, it's one of those things to protect you in the event of a problem, and of course, you won't know if you have a problem until it's too late.

My 1500 has an automatic cut off. It's a good thing it does, because I had a carb problem with the float valves sticking. I started it one time and a bunch of fuel came out the overflow. I can only imagine what would have happened if an unlimited amount of fuel were available.

2) The amount of choke I use varies depending on how warm it is and how warm the engine is. When it's cold I use a lot of choke. When it's warm I use a little choke and when it's hot, I don't use any choke. You get a feel for it. And when I use too much choke, it won't start, so I back off the choke and it starts.

3)You'll have to check around your area and check in with your favorite shops to see who will do what. Your Honda dealerships are your simplest place to go for ease of just buying and getting it done. They will sell you the tire and install it for you. There's a lot of labor involved in installing.

I normally take my wheel off and take it to my dealer. I buy the tire from them and they mount it on the wheel included in the price. They also do a static balance free of charge, and they only charge me if they need to use additional weights. The Honda wheel weights aren't cheap because they are made for those specific wheels. Then I reinstall the wheel back on the bike myself. I save about an hour and a half of labor costs. Of course that may vary from dealer to dealer on what they charge you.

If you buy your tires on the internet, most dealers won't install them for you, but if they do, be prepared to spend a lot more for the installation.

Car tire shops usually won't touch it, because they don't have any experience with motorcycle rims, and they are concerned about liability. Most of them have sufficient equipment to do it, but you'd have to find one really willing to reach outside the box to do it. Iused to be in the tire business, I have a couple friends in the tire business and on a couple occasions I have been able to go into their shops and do my own tires on their machines.

You may also find some independant motorcycle shops that will do the tires for you but you'll pay extra if you carry the tires in.

Then there are a lot of guys that have learned to mount their own tires on their rims. It's a lot of work, but's it's doable.

I still prefer to take my wheels off and carry them to my local dealer. We have a really good dealer around here and they really support the local Honda riders, so I like to give them my support. I don't spend much there on labor because I do so much of my own work, (and they even offer support and advice) so I like to get my parts and tires there.

So it's going to come down to your personal preferences and what is available to you in your area.

·
Premium Member
8,072 Posts
imported post

I,d be worried, You gonna have a wild ride. Start with a larger driver or smaller ride. Nice choice in rides by the way! Yes on shutting off the petcock. Eh maybe maybe not on the choke, not if it is warmed up. Tyre irons from Harbor Freight are good as gold, using rim protection is a must do with aluminium rims. It was easy for me to change the tyre myself, two days of frustration to get the bead to set. Local tyre store blew it on with an air cannon. tyre irons 15.00, used Avon tyre 60.00, air cannon ,beer. 75.00 and a short case not bad to be on the road with some good rubber. Wouldn't have tried it myself without this forum.

·
Premium Member
1,235 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,171 Posts
imported post

Yep shut her off. All the reason given are valid. I do mine because of a fire I had a Long time ago on another bike. Road it all day parked it outside and the fuel line gave way I assume. 20 minutes after I parked it the Flames were visible from the kitchen. My Mother in her way asked me if a Fire was good for a motorcycle. Took me 3 months of bucking hay to get the money to fix it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.