Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

41 - 60 of 68 Posts

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I think you've got it dialed in well Dan, it's hard to know what each of us does when playing around with stuff like this, it would be so much easier if we could get together with a beverage of choice and discuss it, the keyboard leaves out a lot of nuances. On the other hand I probably look a lot more foolish in person.:cheeky1:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
imported post

Hey dan.. hope it wasn't taken as a criticism.. not meant that way... and if you are happy with your settings, then what else is there.. it works!!

You have basically demonstrated my point.. ie my point (as I tried to explain in the document) is that the ppm, the gain, the setup timer, the linkageare not independent variables (as the instructions would lead you to believe).. changing one changes what is necessary with the others.. for example, setting ppm to 18000 when actual is 9650 changes the gain so that you will have to compensate with the gain or setup timer.. likewise changing the setup timer changes gain.. so you have to compensate with ppm or gain... I am not surprised that you found something different that works... just that knowing that you are using a ppm of 18000 instead of what is actually measured (9650) still suggests to me that there are other possibilities that would work.. not that you need to find them..

As far as comparing the Audiovox to the Rostra, that is apples and oranges.. The Audiovox is an analog device (vacuum) that easily compensates for different length linkages.. infact if you model it mathematically (with pressures flows, etc.), it is easily shown that the length of the linkage is just not important (until you run out of vacuum.).. On the other hand theRostra is a digital device that moves in programed stepsdepending on the settings and feedback.. so you need small enough steps (afftected by gain, setup timer, ppm and linkage).. enough steps (affected by ppm and setup timer).. etc. etc..

Anyway, the point is that the Audiovox is basically a plug-n-play device.. the Rostra is not and requires a lot of knob twisting... The Audiovox will always work.. but not always well.. The Rostra will work on anything well.. but requires much trial and error.

There is no maximum setpoint from an electrical standpoint (like there is with the 1500).. only that when you run out of power, it will drop out.. I expect on level ground you could set it at 100+

Glad you were successful... I get lots of PM and emails behind thescenes helping with successful installs on many other cruisersand even at least onesport bike..Some are redo's going back to Rostra after a failure led them to give up and get an Audiovox.. My suggestion has always been to go with the Audiovox unless you are willing to do the trial and error.. which you did.. and very well!!! Glad you shared it..

SDB/Jim

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
imported post

Of course now that the Audiovox CCS-100 is no longer produced, you only have the electronic version available.. and it is available under two badges..Both Audiovox and Rostra.. different part numbers but apparentlythe same electronicunit..

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
imported post

sandiegobrass wrote:
Of course now that the Audiovox CCS-100 is no longer produced,  you only have the electronic version available.. and it is available under two badges..Both Audiovox and Rostra.. different part numbers but apparently the same electronic unit..
Oh man that's a bummer Jim!
I was considering changing it back over to the vacuum unit, guess that's not a option now. The Rostra is acting up. I just can't seem to get that thing dialed in properly.

Imma thinkin maybe it has to do with the speedo sensor so I might see what I can work out putting the magnets on for the magnetic pickup or tie into the ignition somehow (I think ignition was discussed at one point)

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
imported post

Yaa.. I was going to get one to play with too.. Ha... they are going for $250 on ebay.. rare commodity indeed at one time last year they were $69 at JCW..

do a search for tach filter on the net.. there are several out there for about $25 bucks.. they were used on corvetts and camaros (and other conversions) to adapt the old school tachs to electronic ignitions.. I made my own and proved the principle (by oscilloscope) but never got around to wiring it into the bike... It is jsut a passive diode/RC circuit that clips and filters the coil signal on the Spark unit (ground ) side... Thisis a very trashy signal with spikes of several hundred volts.. you actually might be able to use the coil signal on the +12v side (will actually be about 7-9 volt after the ballast resistor) because there is such a chopped current surge, I expect that this supposedly constant voltage has a square wave of a volt or two which is essentially what the Rostra is wanting to see anyway... I'd try it if I had the time (and my bike were here) ppm should be the rpm at 60 mph (or maybe x2.. would have to work it out)

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
imported post

Link is broken.. Document is below (mods might want to point the link in the first post to this document)

Attachments

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #47

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

I would just like to say a big thanks to Jim for compiling and sharing his knowledge on all things Rostra CCs. Although I don't have a Goldwing (yet, maybe one day), his guide was the most useful of all I found on the internet. Cheers!

I have now more or less successfully set up my Rostra CCon a BMW K1200S. There have been many challenges to get it to work in such a cramped environment. Like Jim I will post a 'how to' probably to the BMW superbikes forum. One minor point of contention vs his guide - I can confirm that increasing PPM actually reduces the aggressiveness of the system and also raises the minimum engage speed. I ended up running 8000ppm vs technically correct 6000ppm given I was using the Rostra VSS kit and 5 magnets (small neodymium cylinder types) in the heads of the disc brake bolts. Minimum engage speed is about 50mph/80kmh.

The system does overshoot slightly up hills (3-4mph)but recovers in about 5-10s and on the flat roads at highway speeds it is pretty rock solid. Take up is instantaneous and smooth. Coast button single presses undershoot a little (3-4mph)then recover. Holding the coast it decels smoothly and sits at the speed when the button is released.All quite livable. There may be slight improvements possible still but this is about an 8.5/10. For the record settings for the K1200Swere ultra low gain, 8000 PPM, 8 Cyl low takeup, sinusoidal vss, auto trans (used a banjo switch to ground the NSS wire for backup cruise cancellation with clutch lever), and open cruise switch. Cheers.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

...not wanting to add any confusion, but I happened to look at this thread as it appeared to be something new in this forum that I had not seen before via the mainpage. I read down to where the speed sensor issue was going to be investigated and scanned further for the results. I didn't see any.

I've no interest in a cruise control. I use a throttle lock, and am happy, but I did notice some questions about the speed sensor in the speedometer.

My "speed sensor awareness" came about from a self-cancelling turn signal conversion from a Kawasaki which uses the same design, from the same speedo manufacturer as the Honda uses. I'm using a vintage trip computer andit also needs a signal input from a sensor, though for a different reason than cruise, the principal is probably the same.

I've found the "speed sensor" in the speedometer of my '78 to be nothing more than a magenetic reed switch with a 4:1 count of wheel rotation. Meaning: the wheel rotates once and the sensor counts four revolutions. Same as the Kawasaki donor the self-cancelling unit came from.

Hope this helps someone. :waving:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

When I bought my last 82 Wing, it had an electronic/vacuum cruise control...It didn't work so I had the dealer I bought that Wing from disconnect it...Main reason being that it was hooked up to the choke cable not the throttle cables?????...Yeah I know it was confusing to me too....But Several months later when pulling the fairing, that a so called "friend" of mine, his mechanic let my Wing fall on its right side, busting the fairing, I found lots more small wires running out of the fairing, plus a vacuum canister, that looked like a soup can with vacuum hoses on it???? ..The front wheel still has the magnets, but not the sensor unit, I took it off....When I get the chance to install my new tires those magnets will come off....I can only guess that the PO had this cruise control installed when this Wing was brand new?????....I have no idea what brand it was but that complete unit weighted about 3 to 4 lbs????....I'm going to the salvage yard I buy from for a throttle lock control, mine had both but when the Wing fell over part of my throttle lock came up missing....

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
imported post

kpavey wrote:
...I can confirm that increasing PPM actually reduces the aggressiveness of the system and also raises the minimum engage speed. I ended up running 8000ppm vs technically correct 6000ppm given I was using the Rostra VSS kit and 5 magnets (small neodymium cylinder types) in the heads of the disc brake bolts. Minimum engage speed is about 50mph/80kmh.
Thanks for the comments... I have had the suspicion that I had the PPM axis order reversedsome time after I compiled the data into excel, but had lost the original notes... the mostimportant point is still present in that PPM setting is just another "knob" to twist and not necessarilyfixed for an application, and that the ROSTRA is not "plug and play".. it needs much testing to get itworking...

(If I am every lost for something to do, I may repeat the tests to verifiy the excel sheet.)

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Thanks Jim,

I have been looking for that PDF for quite a long time. You instructions and email help allowed me to install the CC on my BMW R1200C. It's been working flawlessly since 2008.
Several of the Chromeheads.org people are trying to do the same thing and need this document.

Happy Holidays to You and yours and to everyone.

Russ:readit:

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
imported post

You're welcome.. (a little bit late)

·
Registered
1 Posts
The Link to the long version of your CC is broken.

Jim,

The Link to the long version of your CC Instalation is broken. :( Can you please post again.:?

Thanks to all of you who have posted about this CC install. Alot of great information here!:bow:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Welcome to the forum Col. Frog

This is an old posting from prior to the forum hand over to M/C.com and some links are dead.
A lot of things missing that were supposed to be addressed and fixed by now that are still in nowhere land.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Many thanks for the pdf, SDB. I will be reading it a lot shortly. I just bought a Rostra CC to put on my 82i. I have had an Audiovox on my 76 since 2006, and love it. I know there will be more involved in setting up and adjusting the Rostra, but I think it will be worth it. When we installed the AV, we installed one each on my 76, Leon's 78, and John's 79. Over the years, theirs have quit, but mine still keeps chugging on. The control unit is mounted just behind the radiator just inside the right frame. It has had a few flaky moments, especially when riding in high heat, but otherwise has performed very well for about 7 years now. Along with the Rostra, I will be installing a digital dash. I'm tired of replacing speedos and tachs.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
If anyone wants that discussion in PDF, send me a PM.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I am interested in more information about the tach filter. I have a digital dash on my 82i, and no longer have the vss signal available. The magnet supplying the speed info to the unit is only sending about 500 pulses per mile. I don't think that would work with the Rostra, too few pulses. So, I am wondering how the tach filter would work for me as I really don't want to use the magnet speed sensor for the Rostra. I'm not sure how the tach filter would hook up to the coil. I would connect the grey vss wire to one of the tach filter wires, correct? I have the unit mounted very much the same as yours behind the right saddlebag. All the rest will be set up very much the same as in your document also. Tomorrow I am going to finish connecting everything and try the signal from the magnet sensor, but I'm not expecting it to work well. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you might have.

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I took it out on the road today and I was right. The single magnet setup for my speedo isn't working too well for the Rostra. I think I'm going to order a tach filter and try that. It works fine except it won't engage till over 50 mph. It also won't hold speed well because of the low number of impulses. If the tach filter doesn't work, I'll order the magnet sensor setup from Rostra. On my 76 I couldn't use the brake flasher, but I hooked the tail light sensor up after the flasher unit and it works fine. So, I'll try that on the 76 also.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
I took it out on the road today and I was right. The single magnet setup for my speedo isn't working too well for the Rostra. I think I'm going to order a tach filter and try that. It works fine except it won't engage till over 50 mph. It also won't hold speed well because of the low number of impulses. If the tach filter doesn't work, I'll order the magnet sensor setup from Rostra. On my 76 I couldn't use the brake flasher, but I hooked the tail light sensor up after the flasher unit and it works fine. So, I'll try that on the 76 also.
Another thing to try (i haven't yet) is to use + side of the coil with a small capacitor in line.. YOu would expect that it was +12 volts but the current surge through the coil is huge so this +12 volts actually fluctuates by a volt or so... all the rostra is looking for is a 1 volt pulse, so it may work.. you'll have to do a little math to get the pulse count but each coil pulses once per rev.. (wasted spark)...[ probably about 3600 ppm (~3600 rpm at 60 mph)]

41 - 60 of 68 Posts