Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Trike Master
1,266 Posts
This will start a surge of postings but, IMO, my Wing is not a Diesel so...................
Don't know of any diesels that use the same lubricant in the transmission as a Wing does?

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
It is a very good oil for motorcycles, do a search on oil threads and you will find it is commonly used. Even Randaak reccomended it on his site.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
Been using Rotella 15/40 in both my bikes foe many years, go for it. :waving:

·
1,566 Posts
The oils you want to stay away from for a motorcycle are those that have friction modifiers.
Those modifiers could make the clutch plates slip.

·
Premium Member
1,049 Posts

Oh no, the proverbial can of worms has been re-opened, again!

I ran Shell Rotella in my VTX 1800 C for nearly seven years and never had an issue with the stuff. Right now my wing has a maintenance plan on it, so it is getting Honda oil for now.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
I have used Rotella 15W-40 for years and have been pleased with it.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
In addition to my GL1500 I also have a Kawasaki Vulcan 900, is the rotella good for it?
Are you familiar with Delo 400? I hear it is good for Gold wings is it ok for vulcan?

·
Premium Member
1,462 Posts
i like the Delo 400, ran it in my 1100 and now run it in my 1500. Makes shifting quieter and the bugs dont stick to my bike. I love OIL

·
Registered
2 Posts
It is perfectally fine to run Rotella synthetic in your bike. Just look on the back of the bottle and make sure there energy seal isn't on the bottle. The seal is a circle. Says something on the top and if it is energy proven then it will say on the bottem of the seal. Make sure it isn't. Or your clutch will start slipping. Past that, i have noticed my bike to run quieter.

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
What does the energy seal look like I see that they all have a round seal with

·
Premium Member
219 Posts
I called Delo tech support, the Tech said it in not suitable for wet clutches it has Molly in it. says will cause clutch slippage Your thouoghts

·
1,566 Posts
Molly is a friction modifier. Like I said previously, don't use oil with friction modifiers.

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
I must've talked to that same tech. Thousands of miles on the Wings that have used the Delo for years with good results have proven him wrong.
He told me there is 90ppm of moly in the Delo. My tranny shifts so much better. It was really getting clunky with any other oil i tried. Smooth upshift now, but still clunky downshifting but not as bad as it was. Mine might be a candidate someday for the 4th gear issue, but i feel the Delo has given it new life for a while longer.

Clutch is almost gone on my Suzuki and i am trying the Delo in it to see if the clutch slips easier under power. So far it isn't any worse. I still have to let up on the throttle after up shifting and then hammer back down or it just slips like crazy. Figure it would be a good test since i have to replace the clutch anyhow. I might add some more moly that i have separate and see how much it takes to get it to slip worse.

My clutch is worn because I didn't realize the shifter seal had let go and dripped all the oil onto the floor in my old shed. Injector oil had been leaking out of my tank through the sightglass and fixed that also.

Years ago Shell tech told me to use 15w40 Rotella in it. Couldn't find out how much of what is in that oil, but i used it for many years until now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.