Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I've seen the oil, tires, etc debate rage on many web sites... so I'm not looking to start another what is the best oil, do I need synthetic tread.

I finally saw the much written about Shell Rotella T synthetic oil a the local wally world. This is the first time I've actually seen the stuff in the oil section at WW, and can now actually consider using it.

I just purchased a 96 with 23K miles. My first oil change I used Honda dino oil. The honda oil cost around 13-14 dollars. I see valvoline"motorcycle" oil at Napa for 3 something a quart. $13.44 for a gallon of Rotella synthetic at WW. Basically the same price. I not opposed to using dino, but for the same price I could use Rotella.

1. Can someone in the know confirm for me that Rotella T synthetic DOES NOT have the friction modifiers that supposedly cause wet clutch slippage?

2. Is Rotella T synthetic really on par with the higher priced synthetics? Why does shell sell this for so much less?

3. Anyone object to using this oil in a 1500?

4. Any long term 1500 users of Rotella T that can comment?

Thanks

·
Registered
177 Posts
imported post

Hi, minscoot 47, I have been keeping my eye open for the Rotella also but have never found it. I have heard lots of good things about it. I have encountered a growing problem over the years of finding a non-energy conserving and API ratingSF or SG ratingoil for my 91 se. I do not know if you read my posting a little while ago about an interesting article I found whilesearching for an answer for my hard time finding oil for my wing check it out at http://www.yft.org/tex_vfr/tech/oil.htm and I would give it a try if I found it. This year I am running 15w40 for the first time and before it was always 10w40. Happy reading.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

I'm just wondering what has motivated you fellows to use a motor oil specifically designed for a diesel engine in your Wings? I used torun Rotella syntheticin a diesel charter boat I'dferry across Lake Erie, but, I never once considered using it in my Wing.

Rotella does meet the criteria for use in a gas fired engine, but, there are motor oils which are better suited to motorcycle use than Rotella synthetic, especially in the hot summer months. Rotella is designed to assist in cold weather/low temperatureoil circulation and how many guys actually drive their Wings when it's extremely cold outside?

I'm not saying it's better than all other oils, but, I have never had an inkling of oil problems while using Castol GTX 20/50W motorcycle oil in any of my bikes, yet, I have experienced several problems when using synthetic oils.

But, as MR1200 states, you can always try something else if you so desire.

Just keep in my mind cohesion, shear strength, adhesion, and multi temperature viscocity when comparing oils then figure out how you run your bike normally and apply the best oil and filter you can get to suit your needs.

Vic

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

minscoot47 wrote:
I've seen the oil, tires, etc debate rage on many web sites... so I'm not looking to start another what is the best oil, do I need synthetic tread.

I finally saw the much written about Shell Rotella T synthetic oil a the local wally world. This is the first time I've actually seen the stuff in the oil section at WW, and can now actually consider using it.

I just purchased a 96 with 23K miles. My first oil change I used Honda dino oil. The honda oil cost around 13-14 dollars. I see valvoline"motorcycle" oil at Napa for 3 something a quart. $13.44 for a gallon of Rotella synthetic at WW. Basically the same price. I not opposed to using dino, but for the same price I could use Rotella.

Minscoot47, you ask...

1. Can someone in the know confirm for me that Rotella T synthetic DOES NOT have the friction modifiers that supposedly cause wet clutch slippage?--- \

ALL motor oils have friction modifiers in them, in motorcycles it depends on what kind of modifiers & how much content. One good thing on any of the XXW40 oils (either S or C rated"that's gasoline or diesel rated') is; they don't fall under the new oil mandate for (energy conserving), what that means is they DON'T HAVE TO contain super slippery modifiers. Problem is some of the newer Xxw40 oil's do as they just use the same additive package a conventional auto oil package. You just don't know without reading the fine print in the oil spec sheet.

2. Is Rotella T synthetic really on par with the higher priced synthetics? Why does shell sell this for so much less? ----/

Probably not, I can't get a complete spec sheet on that new Rotella syntheticso it's just speculation but a good quality PAO based synthetic is very expensive to manufacture so I seriously doubt is is as good as the top rated PAO based synthetics. My guess is it's a series 3 type oil that meets the synthetic specs. Is that bad? Not necessarily so, but Rotella doesn't list their synthetic specs on line so they probably aren't real proud of that oil's specifications. I have done a lot of oil research over the years & usually if an oil is tops on the performance specs the oil company can't post that data in enough places & in ads.

3. Anyone object to using this oil in a 1500?----/

That synthetic Rotella is probably much Superior to any of the run of the mill auto oils as most C (diesel)rated oils are built on a much better base stock with a good long lasting antiwear additive package. The non synthetic Rotella 15W40 was (still is) one of the best dino oils with a great additive package & a very stable base stock with not all that many long chain polymers added for viscosity improvement. I can't really answer that on the Rotella synthetics as I just don't have the specs. Until recently the non synthetic Rotella 15W40 was my personal choice for my older equipment & my truck. The last couple of years I have switched over to a full PAO synthetic as the hot viscosity index, HT/HS, Noack, &TBNis much better in some of the newer synthetics

4. Any long term 1500 users of Rotella T that can comment.

I can't give you anypersonal info here as I don't use the Rotella Synthetic.. In reading some of the oil test data that comes across my desk some of the long haul truck companies are now using it but it just hasn't been around long enough to get any long term results. It's by no means a bad oil there are just better oils out there.

Here are some of things you should be looking for in a motorcycle oil. Probably at the top of the list is resistance to shearing (Ht/HS rating). That can really effect the oil's long term viscosity. Some of the 10W40 car oil's with lots of long chain polymers can turn into 10W20 oil in as short as 700-800 miles in internal transmission usage. The (viscosity index) as that is an indication of how the oil will reatain it viscosity, the (Noac) as that is an indication of how the oil handles heat & how much boils off as it gets hot, the pour point & flash point can also have some effect depending on what temperature range you use the oil & type of engine used in.

A little more-- I don't have the specs on either the Rotella synthetic or the Honda production oil but have researched lots of oil's over the years. Based on the performance specs I do have on other OEM oil's I would say the Rotella has the Honda oil beat hands down, is it the best synthetic oil? Probably not even in the top 8. Will it be OK? Yes, there shouldn't be anything in that Rotella that will harm your M/C. Would I use it over the stock Honda oil or 10W40 auto oils? Yes, even without the specs handy I'm sure it has a lot to offer there. Would I use it in my own motorcycles? Probably not without the full specifications so I could compare it to what I use now. There are some very good PAO based full synthetics out there that have great specifications & known additives that have a proven history & those are hard to ignore.

Twisty

·
Premium Member
623 Posts
imported post

Hi, Minscoot47 You can read what shell says about Rotella and bikes at their website under FAQ,s

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
imported post

What Twisty said I can agree with 100%. Couldn't have been said better.:clapper::clapper:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.