Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have read somewhere that the 90-2000 rear disc will fit on the 88-89 but that the caliper mounting bracket must be changed on the 88-89 to the same as the 90-2000, and that the 88-89 caliper itself is OK to use on the 90-2000 disc.

Is this true, or have been lead down the garden path?????

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

That's right Allen. The later discs centre makes the disc a few millemetres offset and that's why the mounting bracket is different.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Jason,
So in theory I can install a 90-2000 rear rotor and mounting bracket and everything thing will work? I can get the parts from a triked bike, the local Honda store here wants in excess off $400.00 for the rear 89 disk.

You know that the shipping and duty and taxes can quite quickly make a U.S. purchase add up to darn near the same thing. I don't like to think of myself as cheap, just frugal. :15red:

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks Max,

I foundt the EBC ones and by the time I get done with duty,tax and the excange rate,shipping, I'm gettyng close to $300.00 for it. I have the disc and mounting bracket and caliper on its way to me now from a fellow Winger that triked his bike. everybody is happy all the way around!!:cheeky1::D

·
Older and Wiser
1,734 Posts
imported post

Well done. Shipping costs for heavy items like rotors can be too high, it takes the good out of the savings.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
imported post

How hard is it to replace the rear rotor? I replaced the disks andwas looking at the rotor and it has somegroove in it but not to bad. Are the rotors rivited on? how much labor is involved?

·
Premium Member
1,507 Posts
imported post

Not too bad... If you can remove the wheel than you can change the rotor easily...You will need a metric allen socket and a torque wrench...There are 6 allen bolts holding the rotor in place... Remove them and the rotor comes off.. When installing the new rotor make sure you wire brush the threads and clean bolts with solvent.. That will ensure you have no gunk on the threads andthe bolts bottomed out when reinstallingto get a true torque setting... Although the manual does not say to do it I put some thread locker (Locktite ) on the bolts when I reinstalled mine as a precaution.. Manual has 30 ft lbs torque spec'd... Ps : note whichis outside and inside...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Removing the rotor is easy, I take the rotors off my wheels when I take them to a shop for a tire replacement. I'm afraid someone might let the wheel fall over and bend a rotor. Probably unlikely but it makes me happier.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

The last time I had a new tire installed, the shop told me to leave the rotors on so they can do a better job balancing the wheel. Make sense? I took them off for the same reason, worried about accidental damage.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Doesn't make a lick of sense to me, the rotor is about as balanced as it can be anyway so removing it shouldn't make any difference.:baffled:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.