Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well I had a rough day at work yesterday. I "had to" attend a seminar in Tacoma and it was held at the new LeMay America's Car Museum. I didn't get to go all the way through the museum but I took some pictures of what I did get to see. Gonna go back with my sons soon! You can see my pictures here, LeMay America's Car Museum. Yeah it's a rough job, but someone has to do it. :D

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,242 Posts
imported post

yeeeeeah....were feelin' real sorry for ya...
 

·
Senior Moment Member
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
imported post

I wish I had known you were going to be there yesterday. I had the day off and headed into Tacoma. I almost stopped there but had a call from another friend who wanted to ride up to "FRY'S" so off we headed.

Glad you went, however I'm sure the stress of so much work must have been horrible. :badgrin:
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

Next time I come up there I'll have to visit the new museum. I visited his collection when it was still out in the oldMarymount school for boys in Spanaway. They had an open house once a year back then when the collection was still private. It was pretty cool how they had cars stuffed in the old classrooms, supply rooms, etc. When I was a kid Harold LeMay was still driving his own trucks from time to time. There was a man who started with one gargage truck and became a multimillionaire through hard work.
 

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
imported post

Such a rough life you have. And you probably rode your bike over there, too.
 

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
imported post

The trouble with museums is that cars, trucks, motorcycles, boats and airplanes get put into them and they are lost forever. They need to be out of museums and being used for what they were meant to be used for. Maybe some will disagree but I think Jay Leno is the best kind of collector. If he owns it he drives it, even his Pebble Beach concouers de elegance level cars. No letting them rot. He even drives his Vanderbilt Cup steam car that won the cup almost 110 years ago on the roads of LA.
 

·
Postpubescent member
Joined
·
36,382 Posts
imported post

The old Harrah's automobile collection did run up every one of their cars in a rotating order. It was an amazing collection. One problem with a lot of old vehicles is that a lot of them are lost due to being converted into hot rods or some such. At least a museum prevents total loss of these vehicles in a manner many people can see them. Leno's collection while admirable doesn't do much for many people.

I don't know how LeMay's new museum operates but at the old location most of the cars were kept in runable condition.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
20,585 Posts
imported post

Just remember John.........somebody has to do it! :thumbsup:
 

·
Bringer of Shenanigans
Joined
·
1,031 Posts
imported post

The Nethercutt museum had almost all of their's licensed and street ready. They used to pull a dozen or so off the floor and take a company picnic. Of course, after Mr. Nethercutt passed away, that dropped off. Beautiful collection none the less.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,822 Posts
imported post

:?:?I just noticed that we do not have an emoticon for the bucket of tears that I am shedding for you John. That must have been a really tough job, and yet you soldiered up and took it for the team. :yessir::yessir:



Thanks!! :applause::applause::applause:
 

·
Senior Moment Member
Joined
·
3,707 Posts
imported post

ziadelsol wrote:
:?:? I just noticed that we do not have an emoticon for the bucket of tears that I am shedding for you John.  That must have been a really tough job, and yet you soldiered up and took it for the team. :yessir::yessir:

 

Thanks!! :applause::applause::applause: 

:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::applause::applause:

Someone had to do it. Looks like it was John's Turn in the barrel!

:badgrin::badgrin::badgrin:
 

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
Joined
·
12,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Hanko wrote:
I wish I had known you were going to be there yesterday. I had the day off and headed into Tacoma. I almost stopped there but had a call from another friend who wanted to ride up to "FRY'S" so off we headed.

Glad you went, however I'm sure the stress of so much work must have been horrible. :badgrin:
I was actually there on Thursday Henry. There was a local company putting on a seminar about virtualization, something I'm learning all I can about since we are about to embark on our first virtualized system.

This was the first time I saw any of the collection Paul. Unfortunately since I was there to learn some stuff for my job, I didn't get to see the whole collection. I will be going back soon with at least one of my sons though.


Tigger, yes I rode my bike, of course. :cheesygrin:

Yep Bill, gotta be somebody, might as well be me. ;)

John (ziadelsol), :ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:yeah it was a tough day at work for sure. Most of my work days are not quite like this one however. :cheesygrin:

John
 

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
Joined
·
3,498 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
The old Harrah's automobile collection did run up every one of their cars in a rotating order. It was an amazing collection. One problem with a lot of old vehicles is that a lot of them are lost due to being converted into hot rods or some such. At least a museum prevents total loss of these vehicles in a manner many people can see them. Leno's collection while admirable doesn't do much for many people.

I don't know how LeMay's new museum operates but at the old location most of the cars were kept in runable condition.
Yes a lot of old cars have been hot rodded. Old iron is getting harder to get. Now we can buy brand new 55-57 Chevrolets, Ford Model A, Ford 32-36 and a few more all steel complete bodies and even more parts like fenders and doors for old iron. It is great to see cars like 37 Chevrolets and others cruising down the highways looking like they did from the factory, except the paint is better and the wheels are nicer. Most people say "Did you see that neat old car?" Maybe someday Leno will make "Big Dog Garage" into a place one can see and "TOUCH" his collection when he is not driving them.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top