Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
awall
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi everyone my 97 1500 has a rough idle I was going down the road about 60 mph and heard a sound like air escaping from a tire for a few seconds. I thought i was getting a flat but when I pulled over it just idles rough. I was wondering if anybody has ever had this happen to them and what the problem might be. It runs fine and still gets 41 mpg but the idle is a little bit rough. My thought was a vacum line, I have checked everthing I could see with the covers off which isn't much. Any help would be appreciated.:15red:

Thanks Al

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Unfortunately there's a rat's nest of vacuum lines under all that plastic and rubber. It doesn't take more than one to leak. Some of the molded lines with a sharp turn tend to go bad in the curve. You may need to flex them to see any cracks. There are a lot of them that can affect the idle so it would be hard to guess at it. One way to help chase a vacuum leak down is to use an unlit propane torch, in a well ventilated area, and pass it all around the vacuum tubing. If you get a change in the idle the area by the torch would bear looking at closely.

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

Probably a vacuum leak as Paul suggested. Can you hear a hissing sound when the engine is ticking over? If you can, pinpointing it will find the leak.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I bought a engine from a wrecked `96 Gold Wing about 10 years ago. Only had 8K on it, but some of the rubber vacuum hoses under the carburetors already had some badly rubbed areas. This just happened all of a sudden? Sometimes if I just think back to what I was working on last I come up with the answer.
Tom Bishop
`98 S.E.

·
awall
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the input when I get a chance I guess I will tear into it to try and find a vacuum leak.

Thanks again Al

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.