Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, I just bought my first GW from a friend. It's a 2000 model year with 5800 miles. He bought the bike and just never really rode it. Thus the low miles. He did keep good gas in it and ran it every year. The bike idles very rough and hesitates until you get some RPM. Runs fine down the highway but burns a tank of gas about every 150 miles. I noticed that 4 out of 6 exhaust pipes are black and the other 2 are tan and are not as hot.
I recently installed new plugs and a K&N air filter. That seemed to help but still rough on the idle. Any suggestions would be appreciated!

Big Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,169 Posts
imported post

:waving:

You need to head out to Ft Lauderdale by way of San Diego County.

Get that thing out and run the Dog Sh*t out of it!!!!!!!!!!!!:lash:

Goldwings hate to sit..:?

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

5800 miles is a good sign he didn't ride it enough to keep the carburetors clear. Seafoam seems to be the magic elixir over there. Try it and see if the running improves.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
imported post

Im not one to jump onto fad addative products such as Seafoam usually....but...I had trouble getting a good potato potato idle out of my shovelhead HD. Ran Seafoam for two tanks and right away everything changed to exactly right. Im a believer in this product and recommend it for precisely your type of problem. Pour it in the gas and go for a nice long ride. You'll be amazed.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

Im having the same issue with a 85 GL1200 LTD is just got with 8500 miles on her. I used some other additive in the last tank but no improvements. So I went to the auto Parts store tonight and got a can of seafoam to run through a few tanks. Don't know if I'll get the same results since this bike is fuel injected, no carbs.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
imported post

I do believe in the Seafoam trick as well. It helps out most of the time but sometimes its a carb overhaul. Mine ended up as an overhaul but the Seafoa worked in my friends bike wonderfully

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Big THANKS to everyone for the great suggestions!! I ran 2 cans of Sea Foam through my bike, (4 tanks of gas) and changed the spark plugs and oil. When I took the lower fairing off to change the plugs I discovered a mouse nest on top of the engine. I cleaned off the engine and went right for the air filter. Lots of mouse droppings in the filter. I cleaned the airbox and installed a new K&N filter. The bike runs great and I'll be heading for Kansas City from Fargo, ND this week. Thanks again! Perry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.