Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I own a GL1800 2008 model. I seem to get a clicking noise with every gear shift. My VTX1300 did this from 1st to 2nd but not every gear. Is this common with the Goldwing?

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

I'm not sure what you mean by 'clicking noise'. Noise from the gears meshing? Moment of the shifting forks? I can tell you, mine shifted a little rough, at first. I switched to synthetic oil (well semi-synthetic). This smoothed the shifting up real good. I still 'bang a gear' now and then.

What RPM do you shift at?

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

If you are talking about the Gold Wing Clunk, it is the gear dogs mating with the stationary gears when you shift.

Relax and enjoy the clunk, only worry when it stops. The clunk is a good thing, it means it is working like it should.

Kit

·
Premium Member
2,419 Posts
imported post

When I fist rode it, I was shocked to discover how similar it was to my HD, when shifting. All the other Honda's I've ridden were smooth, nothing more than a 'click'. This thing is a brute.

Still....I'm wondering if the 'click' you feel/hear is the drum shift - what I used to call the 'ratchet top'. This has channels that the shifting forks follow when you move the shifting arm up or down. At first this was strange to me. However, after riding HD's all my life, I had another one of those epiphany things.

The GW is so damned quiet, you hear everything that is going on. This took a little getting used to....all those engine sounds. First time I heard the fans, I though I was about to get run over by a street sweeper. For me, the GW has been an interesting experience.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

Oh I love the clunk, the whine and the tire whurre. All normal. Enjoy the fun.

The usual clunk on mine is a poor shift from1st to 2nd.

I have had three different oils with no difference.

Put some miles on it. This machine craves to be ridden.

Longboater

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Longboater wrote:
Oh I love the clunk, the whine and the tire whurre. All normal. Enjoy the fun.

The usual clunk on mine is a poor shift from1st to 2nd.

I have had three different oils with no difference.

Put some miles on it. This machine craves to be ridden.

Longboater
:action:+1.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I visited the Mobile 1 web site and they recommended their 4t synthetic oil. I just picked it up today. From what I am seeing in the replies what I am hearing is common to the Goldwing. This bike really takes some getting use to. It is so quite that I thought something was wrong when I was listening to the engine.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Just my opinion but if you have ridden VTX's you propably think the shifting on the wing is smooth as silk.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

If the problem came on suddenly, check your hydraulic clutch fluid. If no suddenly, enjoy the clunk.

Michael

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Red Ron wrote:
Just my opinion but if you have ridden VTX's you propably think the shifting on the wing is smooth as silk.
I didn't mean to come off as a jerk with my post above. I didn't read the orginal post close enough to realize that you are indeed coming from a VTX. I was referring to myself as I too came from a VTX 1300. My wing shifts a lot smoother than the VTX. They say no 2 are the same. Maybe it will take a little longer for yours to "break-in" or you might be still a little off on timing.

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
imported post

I have a 2007 Wing 23,500 miles.:dude: Mine does not clunk when shifting? :) I use Pennzoil 10W40, changed at 3000 miles intervals.:clapper: As a matter of fact my Wing shifts very smooth, except when the rider screws up. :shock: One other thing is, that I rarely use 1st gear. 99% of the time Ijust start out in 2nd gear, even with 2 up.:cheeky1: Well that is my 2 cents worth. :waving:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.