Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

While I certainly don't wish to start a war nor suffer the slings and arrows that have been flying back and forth on several topics of late, I do need some advice. The time has come to replace the tires on my 1984 GL1200A and while I have read the posts on the subject, I'd like an opinion or two on whether to go with Bridgestone Spitfire S-11's or the Avon Venom AM41/AM42.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

This is a subject that certainly has been covered in this forum, many, many times. The consensus seems to be use what you like best. Some of the comments by proponents of different brands were:

Dunlop Elite II- Long wearing, not as good in the wet.

Dunlop Elite III - No one seems to have tried them yet.

Metzler - Good in the wet, not as long lasting.

Bridgestone - REDWING has 'em and likes them.

Basically the subject probably represents 10% of this forum and the decision is that you're on your own. Luckily most brands seem to keep the rims off the ground!

:baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled::baffled:

·
The Irish Crew
1,248 Posts
imported post

From reading this same topic on lots of forums over quite a few years, I've learned that the majority of GL1200/GL1500 riders prefer Metzeler 880s. As you live in Canada Keener, I'm guessing you get your fair share of rain just like in Ireland, the Metzelers are well suited for our weather.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Actually, Dave, rain is not a major consideration here in Western Canada. Snow precludes us from riding much more than 6 months each year! Anyway, I've just been told by a non-member Goldwing guru - he's ridden them for 20 years and is a certifed Honda technician - that my bike should stick to the Bridgestone G701 / G703 combination. Guess that's what I'll do.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I went back through the "tyres" posts and noted Redwing, an acknowledged expert, recommends a 701 for the front and either a 702 or 703 for the rear. That's good enough for me!

G

·
0 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
Bridgestone - REDWING has 'em and likes them.
Hey Keener, :waving: I have said it before and i will say it again, "Stick with the Stones" best tyre wet or dry. :clapper:That Certified Honda Tech. told you right, but he is not a certified "Guru" untill he appears on this forum and proves himself.

:weightlifter: :18red: :weightlifter:

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

BTW Keener I like the title of this post, Round Black Things, neatly solves the trans Atlantic problem of Tires vs. Tyres.

:jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper::jumper:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.