Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gents,
I have terminally rounded the SOFT 12 mm head on the oil filter bolt on my 1981 GL 1100 trying to remove it. I wish I could blame overtorqueing it on someone else, but they don't call me gorilla for nothing. It's still not out but I'll get it somehow. Since it will need replacing, I have seen references on this site to aftermarket replacements with larger, harder heads. Any suggestions as to where to purchase these would be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
You might try using an angle grinder to create two flat sides on the bolt head, then you can get it loose with an adjustable wrench.

I had to do this to about 10 stripped Phillips headed bolts on an engine once where the P/O had attempted to remove an engine cover before me, and yes, they were in there tight too.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
I have seen references on this site to aftermarket replacements with larger, harder heads.
So, you need a larger head to put MORE torque on it?:raspberry:
I generally just tighten them until they spin free........

A good pair of vice grips and a hammer and chisel. One sharp rap.
Pull on the grips while striking the head from the side.(Two man operation)

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
To remove, I use a large channel lock plier

·
killer driller
781 Posts
i have also read on here that the larger heads ultimately cause larger problems.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Problem solved

Many thanks, Neoracer. Got the thing out with an EZ out. Ordered the adapter for just a bit more than the new OEM bolt was gonna cost ! Been meaning to add that, but I remember them pricier than that. Installed the dipstick kit a while back. Future oil changes will be a snap.:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.