Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Anyone been on one? Any recommendations? Thinking about signing up for a 2012 tour. I'd be riding first from Seattle to Chicago with mama then joining the tour. Usingour own scooter - not renting.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Google Rt 66. There is a lot of info and maps available. I have been looking into it for a trip my self. Much of the original route is gone but there is a lot for you to still see.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

My brothers and I have been talking about this trip now for a couple of years. It will have to wait until we can each set aside a couple of weeks to do it. There is a lot to see but like was mentioned, a lot of the original road is disappearing. There is a lot of info out there. One site offers a download that can be transferred to your GPS and offers turn by turn info for the entire route: http://www.historic66.com/gps/ and another site with a bunch of info: http://www.roadtripusa.com/routes/route66/route66.html.
IMHO, you want to pay attention to what time of year you take the trip as you will be traveling through desert country on the S/W leg and it might not be so pleasant in the middle of the summer....

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Ever consider using the Lincoln Highway or The National Pike (rte 40) on your way to Chicago?

Real roads with real history that still mostly exist today.:waving:

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I did a few miles of the old route 66 a few years back, made two mistakes...Some of it you can get on, out in the middle of no where, then it gets fenced in as private property...Had to turn around twice and back track...We were told at a Stuckey's..."Yeah this part will take you to yayaya"...Ever try to back up a 24 ft travel trailer to a spot wide enough to turn around?????....The pieces on "Private Property" are falling apart, we did go over this one bridge that I swore if we got on the main interstate again we were staying on it....:ROFL:.....

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

If you got some time, take a look at this site. Pay special attention to the last section- the Afterword. It pretty much sums up what the journey on Route 66 is really all about: http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2006/01/11/route66index.html

When my brothers and I finally do the trip, we will be doing it on our own. Lookin at several tour sites, they average maybe 175-250 miles a day for the entire route. Doing that, it can easily be accomplished in about 10-15 days. And going by yourself, you would have a lot more flexibility.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

85% of Rt 66 still exist, much of it is renamed a state road number or county road or exist simply as a "trail". Some places, there are 3 allignments running parallel. It's a fun trip if one holds to the old road's routings but it ain't the fast way west!

Do your research and get a good guide book or two, and Rittenhouse's 1946 guide is fun to have along. Study some of the history before the trip, look at history of the old settlements, some dating hundreds of years back. Check out Two Guns / Canyon Diablo. Bunches stuff, all fun!

150-200 miles a day is good.

;)

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,791 Posts

·
Very active member
305 Posts
imported post

ah man, ever since i saw the movie, cars, i have wanted to take that trip. i know its just a cartoon, but i think there is still some truth to the beatuful pictures and nice fun riding. now i am envious. i think i would have a hard time getting my wife to cut me loose now with a 2 and a half year old and a new one month old. that trip might be a couple of years out for me still. here's for hoping and good luck on your trip.

·
Premium Member
3,722 Posts
imported post

I was 51 in 2005 when I started my first Rt 66 trip, wife got sick, we aborted in NM and headed home.

The next year, we made it ... and in '08 we did some more of it and some of it again.

Funny thing, I've done from St Louis west, but not St Louis - Chicago yet and I live in Va. Chicago holds no interest for me somehow?

You'll get there.

;)

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.