Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello, my GL1100i the throttle spikes while changing gears. New air filter, checked cables, use seafoam every 3-4 tanks carbs are sync. It will spike up 500-700 rpms just when riding. Thanks in advance. oh happy new year.

·
Administrator
26,152 Posts
imported post

Does the throttle return normally when you rev the engine in neutral or does it hang and return slowly? Could be corroded cables. Or am I not reading your post correctly and you mean it revs after you let out the clutch? In that case your clutch is slipping.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Trottle return is quick and smooth. While in neutral/sitting I can hold it at like 2500 rpm's let off the trottle and it is fine. Just riding like going from 1st to 2nd, it spikes after the clutch is disengaged. Then I let it slow down then shift/release the clutch and go. I will look for vacuum leaks. If I ride let off the trottle wait 2-3 sec. then pull in the clutch no problem.
Thanx Brad

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Sounds like sticking throttle linkage (shafts, etc.) at the carb... and loose (or broken) throttle return cable... The throttle plate should be forced closed when the twist grip is closed... can't do that very well if both cables are not functioning correctly.

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I just put new cables on the bike ajusted them out. The throttle has a little better snap then with the old ones, but the same problem is still here. The throttle plate is being snapped shut. I lubed the linkage and checked everything well. Sitting parked nothing seems wrong until you ride. The carbs are sync to almost perfect. I checked the intake manifolds for leaks. Where would be a good place to look more closer to find a vacuum leak. I'm missing something here (like a cut off or something). Just got back in and counted it takes 4 sec. for it to idle back down. Like the first post: while shifting the rmp spikes up then slowly idles down (hot warm cold) 4 sec's. Thanx

·
Ole Guy
170 Posts
imported post

One method of searching for leaks is to use a propane torch not lit. Don't light it. Motor running, move it aroud the vacuum hoses and intake gaskets. If there is a noticable leak the engine will races as the propane is sucked in and burned. You are adding fuel to one location and it should race a little. If there is no racing, you are sealed up tight.

This really sounds like a throttle plate is slow to close and it will not be much to act up like it is. Take a closer look at the linkage once again.

Ole Guy

Ole Guy

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I will try the propane on Mon. and check the linkage again. I can let go of the throttle and hear it snap. I may need to look closer to the number one and two cyclinders. I will post any and all findings. Thanx to all.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.