Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1988 GL1500
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Howdy from South Carolina.
As a new GW owner,I'm trying to familiarize myself with my bike.
A few questions.
1988,1500 GW. When I'm in overdrive, and going 65mph,in od,my tach is in the red,reading 6k. Can this be right? My speedometer goes all the way to 125(which I would never attempt) but at 125,the motor would have to be turning 12k. Is my tach that far off? Or,could something else be going on?
Next question.
I'm 6ft,weighing in at 260,but this bike feels so "top heavy" that it's almost impossible to hold up at a stop sign. Is there a way to lower it? Not a bunch, but just enough to get the center of gravity where I neex it.
TIA for your time in answering my problems

·
Premium Member
490 Posts
Well there is something out of kilter here. Engine RPM should be more in the range of 2500-3000 at highway speeds. The maximum speedometer reading is not important. Your engine will not turn 12,000 RPM.

Not sure of your MC experience. Your bike has a five speed transmission. Can you feel the engine speed change as you shift through the gears? Does it feel like you are using all the throttle cruising at that speed.

Regarding the top heavy feel, the GL1500 has one of the lowest centers of gravity of any touring bike ever made. Do not lower the bike. If you find this too difficult, perhaps a smaller, lighter bike is in order.

·
Administrator
27,925 Posts
There is something I remember about moisture on the circuit board in the instrument panel causing the tach to read double.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,911 Posts
Reactions: Andy Cote

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,661 Posts
the 1500s will turn about 3,000 RPM at 60 mph, IIRC.

been a few years since I owned mine.

·
Registered
18 Posts
In terms of top heavy, I found that they can be a bit 'wandery' at low speeds compared to other bikes. They are heavy beasts! Tips and tricks to improve this:
1. make sure your steering head bearings are lubed and adjusted properly and not sticking or binding
2. Tyre pressure and wear need to be checked; I keep the front tyre at 42psi - my preference
3. It's was important for me to revise my slow speed riding skills: keep eyes up and ahead when stopping, keep eyes where I want to go (not look at the hazard I'm trying to avoid)
Hope this helps

Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
My 2000 GL1500 is going about 68 mph at 3,000 rpm. So your bike is indicating about double the rpm that it is actually turning.

·
Premium Member
'91 gl1500
752 Posts
I think your speedometer may be giving an incorrect reading , there may be some sort of gunk stuck in it down where it connects to the wheel causing this .
I have noticed that when I'm in OD ( top gear ) on the motorway my revs read the following
2500 rpm at 50 mph
2800 rpm at 60 mph
3200 rpm at 70 mph

If your tach is reading 6000 rpm at 65 mph , does it sound like the engine is screaming ? cos on the GL1500 it redlines at 5500 rpm then the rev limiter should kick in to save the engine . Do you feel like you might be moving at more than 65 mph ?

I am about 6ft 4in and 280 lbs , I don't find the bike top heavy because I can get both feet down when I'm stopped . I also find that the Wing tends to carry most of its weight low down . As others have suggested , you should check your tire pressure . I have 40 psi in the rear and 37 in the front . It may seem quite high but the tire pressure limits are on the tire sidewall so you can check to make sure you not putting too much in . I don't know how much experience you have on big touring bikes but problems with the handling usually caused by suspension or tire issues .
Oh I just remembered you have an air compressor on board that will raise and lower the seat height , see if that helps .
Eric

·
Registered
'96 GL1500A
5 Posts
A few questions.
1988,1500 GW. When I'm in overdrive, and going 65mph,in od,my tach is in the red,reading 6k. Can this be right? My speedometer goes all the way to 125(which I would never attempt) but at 125,the motor would have to be turning 12k. Is my tach that far off? Or,could something else be going on?
Next question.
I'm 6ft,weighing in at 260,but this bike feels so "top heavy" that it's almost impossible to hold up at a stop sign. Is there a way to lower it? Not a bunch, but just enough to get the center of gravity where I neex it.
Not sure about your rpm issue but it sounds like something is gummed up. If your 260# consider the weight of your passenger and payload. My 96 GLA has a dry weight of 900#'s ttl payload is 400#s including driver, passenger, saddle bags & trunk the last 3 rated for 20#s ea. Make sure the saddle bags are equal weight for balance. Above 200# recommended tire pressures are slightly higher. Mine are posted inside the trunk lid. The on board Air compressor for the rear shocks recommends max 57psi for 400#s of passengers & gear but lower it if your riding alone for a lower center of gravity and you will notice how much more nimble & responsive the bike is. If I'm alone (1up) I lower mine to 32 for highway or 27 around town but I weigh only about 200#s. For a more accurate reading adjust while not seated on its center stand or standing up off the seat while stopped at a light if you need to on the fly. (Hold Pressure Check button to read pressure & increase or decrease button to raise or lower pressure. It is a beast so use caution when going slow. My wife now mounts and dismounts on the sidewalk near the end of the driveway after we had a tip over parking near the detached garage behind our house which requires a slow turn. Same thing happened once at a gas station parking space but I didn't notice the black top was uneven in the last space by the curb where we parked after a 3hr ride. Make sure you watch the YouTube video on lifting the bike after a tip over. Hope this helps. I have owned my wing 1 year now and wanted one for 45 years. Love It! P.S. Goldwingdocs.com is another good resource. Hope this info is useful. Peace be with you.

·
Registered
25 Posts
A few questions.
Next question.
Generation 2 wings yours thru 2000 are a little top heavy. at 804lbs and 2up it is difficult (for me at least @130lbs) to roll it off the kickstand. 3rd gen wings at 905lbs have a lower center of gravity even tho heavier it will come off the stand (2up) with little effort. As far as the tach reading 65mph should be reading aprox 2800 not 6000. What does it idle at should be 750 to 800.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts