Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am sure this is somewhere in Steve's pages - but can't find them. Is there a chart that tells you, for example,

that at 3000 rpm in second gear your speed should be X.

Just curious if any of you have ever wondered about this and found a source?

:baffled:

Mike

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

There is going to be differences due to tire size. Even differences between a new tire and a wore out one. And every year won't be the same.

Raymond

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mjohnson wrote:
I am sure this is somewhere in Steve's pages - but can't find them. Is there a chart that tells you, for example,

that at 3000 rpm in second gear your speed should be X.

Just curious if any of you have ever wondered about this and found a source?

:baffled:

Mike
I don't know, I have a 3000 on my tach but no X on the speedometer!:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

LOL - just thought I'd ask :goofygrin:

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

I've never seen charts on this Mik. I've sen loads of other stats but never one like you want.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Mike, all you have to do is to get the gear ratios from your bike specs, factor in the primary and secondary reductions and put all these numbers into a calculator and you'll come up with the RPM's you're looking for.

Trans. Primary reduction 1.708

Trans. Secondary reduction 0.825

Gear ratio of 1st 2.500

Gear ratio of 2nd 1.708

Gear ratio of 3rd 1.333

Gear ratio of 4th 1.097

Gear ratio of 5th 0.939

Gear ratio of Final Drive 3.400

The above numbers are for a 1975 GL1000.

Once you determine how many miles you wantyourtires rotates in one hour (MPH)you can then factor engine RPM by using the ratios for your particular bike to get actual RPM's of the engine in each different gear ratio.

With a 1/1 gear ratio if a tire had a circumference of one mile and it rotated once per hour the engine would be turning over at one RPM.

The primary and secondary reduction in the above example just about makes the engine turn over attwo and a half times the speed of the rear wheels and the final drive ratio makes the engine run 3.4 times the speed of the rear wheel.

Now all you have to do is factor in the other gear ratios you chooseandselect road speed through tire circumference and you will find engine RPM for each selected gear and final drive ratio.

Vic

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

If you see the red lights flashing in your mirror, you will soon know how fast you were going :)

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

On my 83 :11grey:at 3000 RPM;

1st 18mph

2nd 28mph

3rd 38mph

4th 47mph

Didn't check OD at 3000 but at 3700 it's 70mph. I try to keep it in mind because the speedo was repaired just before I bought it. I guess that after the 17000 miles I put on it I can stop worrying though.:waving:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.