Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

OK, here is my story. I have a new to me 89 1500 with 149k. I have lubricated the throttle cables so it snaps back when you let go. When I go to shift, while pulling in the clutch and backing off the throttle the rpm's DO NOT go down which actually makes them go up with no clutch engaged. Also does the same thing when down shifting except when I shift from 3rd into 2nd and then it does what it should. I know I'm missing something but what? Any help would be welcomed. Vacuum line? Relay switch or other part? I have no idea.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

It could be a vacuum leak…. known problem areas are at the hose below the carbs. You have to remove the carbs to gain access to it. It's a short hose with a 90 degree bend. Connects from the left intake manifold to the right intake manifold.
Another area is at the left intake manifold just above where it connects to the left head.

But it could also be that the throttle cables are adjusted too tight. There should be @ 1/4" free play in the throttle grip. Try adjusting the free play first. Besides… it's easy and it's free.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks rayworx, I just double checked the free play and it is good. I have never removed the carbs on a wing and I'm a little apprehensive about doing it. I guess it just needs to be done though. I'm a walking murphy's law, If it's gonna happen, it will happen to me and I will mess them up trying to get them back on.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks rayworx, I just completed replacing ALL the vacuum lines and it was a chore. Now she runs like new with 150k. That did the trick and I am very thankful for your help in this.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Thank you for posting your out come and that it was successful.

·
Honda Guru
2,054 Posts
imported post

Glad you found the problem… glad to help.
Pulling the carbs off can be scary…. there's more than a couple of hoses on an 89.
:applause:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.