Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Okay here is my question.... say i am riding the interstate.. and up here where i am from.. they dont look at the speed limit.. lol it is drive as fast as you can get by with with out getting stopped... right now my speedo is still broke.. so i just watch the rpms and gives me a good idea how fast i am going..... say your traveling down the big road..... what is a safe range to run rpms for several miles.. i know the red line is 8 grand.. but is it safe to ride and run a motor at say6 grand or 6500... with out harming the motor?? just wondering.. thanks for your replys

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Is this a GL1200 (you really should put this in the post)? If so there's lots pf people who regularly push their revs to the limit for long periods without problems.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts
imported post

I think I'd get the speedo fixed!:gunhead:

I've had my 76 up to 100mph, & wasn't close to the red line (& too fast for two wheels). :shock:

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

on a 1200 7500rpm is 120mph (don't ask!) depending on tyre pressures etc

if you run for long periods at High speed then take 75% of the max RPM for longlevity

6000 RPM which equates to 95-100mph.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Which 1100 Interstate?  They changed the gearing almost every year of the 1100...  The '83 being the highest in 5th gear.Raymond

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

yea it is a interstate.. and yea found out about the gear thing.. got a buddy of mine here that has a 82... thinkin it was a late 82... coz at the same rpms.. he is running faster then me.. i have to run about 500 rpms high to get the same speed he does...

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sure hope your tires,wheel bearings, rear drivebearings, and all that running gear stuff is in good shape when you cruise at high speeds. Ever check your tire pressure after a good long run at high speed before they cool off?

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Between 3500 and 5000 will take you coast to coast and a quick pace, don't need more than that, unless you're trying to run along side of "Danica Patrick" ! Then you better get a "turbo ZX 10" or "Jay Leno's" "Jet Bike" !

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

wingdawg101 wrote:
Between 3500 and 5000 will take you coast to coast and a quick pace, don't need more than that, unless you're trying to run along side of "Danica Patrick" ! Then you better get a "turbo ZX 10" or "Jay Leno's" "Jet Bike" !
LOL you aint never run down I 80 in nebraska have yea?? **** the trucks will run your ass over at 5000 rpms... lol.. trust me been there and dayumm near got ran over at 5500....

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
imported post

Yep, been down I-80 a few times , on bikes, in a truck and car , it's a crazy Truck route ! I just ran 80 mph and let them do their thing, no problems !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.