Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Due to the weather, I cannot work on my GW, since I have no place to work under cover.

So, right now I am cleaning up the chromed saddle bag mounts for the hard boxes. Some small area on the underside have a bit of rust and I want to remove as much of the rust without hurting the chrome. I have several products for cleaning and shining the chrome, but nother that cleans or disolves the rust.

I do plan to paint the area that has rusted through the chrome to still give it the lookof being chromed, since it is in an area that you normally don'tsee anyway.

Can any ome make a suggestion or recommendation on what I can use?

Rockhound Rider :coollep:

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

Years ago someone showed me how a crinkled up piece of foil wrap, rubbing it on the chrome, would remove rust. This was years ago and I don't know if chroming has changed, but what could it hurt to try it.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

The appearance of rust on the surface of chrome means that a tiny pin hole has formed in the chrome plating. Removing the rust from the surface will make it look better, but the pin hole will remain. If it is allowed to continue, it will eat the metal from under the surrounding chrome and cause the chrome to flake off, thus exposing more metal to the elements and thus speedign up the process.

Chrome is hard. You are not likely to damage it unless you take something really abrasiveto it.

I would polish it off and wax it occasionally if it is accessible. If you are planning to paint it, you might apply some of those rust treatments that make the rust turn black. I can't remember, but I think they contain phosphoric acid. That should hold the rust for a while!!

·
Premium Member
2,925 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem I used a brass brush and baby oil,Takes the rust right off without hurting it and helps protect it till you can get something better for a porment fix.baby oil also good for the bags just put it on heave and let dry,will look new.I used to use it back years ago on the inside of cars does a great job.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

Double 00 or finer steel wool. Works like a charm.

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

the chief is right...... I use wd40 and fine steel wool from the paint dept at the hardware store.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I took another look at the areaand after cleaning it, found it to be about an area as big as my thumb and has already. Either the rust ate through the chrome of it got under it and chipped off the chrome and it appears to be rust on metal.

The paint on stuff that changes the rust to a paintable like primer, is only good if all the loose rust is removed. I'm just worried of using a harsh stripper like chemical for rust is goint to harm the good chrome. Maybe I am worried over nothing, but when I put these bag mounts back on, I don't want people to see any rust. I would like to get them stripped and re-chromed, but I haven't found a shop around here that will do it, since their is some rust inside the tubes and it will contaminate thier chemical baths.

These mount are in pretty good shape, so I the idea of having to buy new ones. I guess I'll go down to my local auto/cycle paint shop and see what they advise. Maybe they even know who would do re-chroming on used items.

It seams now a days, even bumpers are throwaway and replace them, on course some aren't made of metal anyway.

Rockhound Rider :coollep:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.