Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

What do you guys think about removing that rubber mat under the carbs on the gl1500. Does anyone know it's function.

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

the black mat is there to drive you insane.... if you have to do major carb or water pipe work.....mine was dried up, torn and in the way... and i delightfully decided to feveroushly tear it out after swearing at the eng who decided to implement it into the design....was probably a joy to install at the factory in sequence .... will be a pain to put a new one in... unless you are already insane:shock:....with all that spagetti down there.....left mine out and down the road i went;)!!

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

It depends on where you use the bike . If you have ever ridden a Harley in very hot conditions and had the bike start cutting out due to vapor lock you would understand. The fuel gets to the point it will boil and vapor lock the fuel system.

High heat, high altitudes, that kind of thing under some conditions can cause the engine heat to boil the fuel and vapor lock the engine.

It is simply a heat shield. Needed on bikes that have the enclosed engine areas such as the 1500. Not a concern with the open engines like the older models .

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

you know i thought about it being a heat sheild but it probably keeps more heat in than letting it circulate around and out without it...never had any problem in 116 deg heat..hottest ride by the way!!...never again!!..my 2cent

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I forgot to put mine back in.If I would have remembered it, I would have put it in. But, right now, I am not willing to spend the time to take the bike back apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.